HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Can someone that installed HIDs in a sierra show my how you did the wires through the plastic cap?

I don't have a picture but its easy. The directions say to make a 7/8" hole. I used my 7/8" hole saw bit in the center of the removable cap and it was a hair too small. Used a box knife to trim a bit more then a file to smooth it out. Took 5 minutes for each cap. The rubber grommet they supply that the wires feed through fits in the hole you cut in the cover.

Okay guys. Finally had a little bit of time to finish the RX350 kit. Before I go further, I want to thank Spurshot for the info he shared that was a big help in getting these done right.

A retrofit doesn't get any easier than this folks. The bracket kit allows you to bolt the rx350 right into place without any modification to the headlight mounting posts (like the fxr). The trade off in installation ease is the higher cost on the rx350 projector as compared to the fxr.

You simply need to cut the back of the headlight off (razor knife) to access and remove the oem projector. Bolt the bracket to the rx350 and then bolt it right in place using the factory mounting locations. I built the spacers right onto the bracket. Put the back back on and use some foil tape or other method to connect/seal. We are trying to come up with something to help out with that, but honestly the foil tape or roofers tape works just fine. Drill a hole in the dust cap to allow hid wires to come through.

The brackets are made of abs plastic and for anyone concerned about strength please don't be. I have stressed tested this and it will not fail on you.

We will be bundling the whole kit together and have it on our website this week (by Wednesday).

Attached are a few quick pics. I was using a junk RX350 so yes it is missing two screws, the top post and the shutter solenoid. This thing has been around the block. Lol. The shutter solenoid fits just fine though in case anyone is wondering (since it isn't in the pic).

I need to get some output pics still and do a comparison to the fxr and oem with hids. The fxr is still the way to go if you are looking for a lower cost option and you can handle cutting the 4 posts used to mount the oem projector. The rx350 with similar performace is the way to go if you are looking for the easiest installation and don't mind paying a little more for that convenience.

3c24138691f20ceb5487c256b8d0e4bb.jpg0574af2d4fc5c0fc473fbd7918e4ca32.jpgc9e3a28559b339c391a7e97f9f5f7c0b.jpgd175f3a3fc210d98e7aa32edd0f44adb.jpg37113463fd35276dfd3a0d2ac7a00049.jpg

Edited by FastWS6TA
  • Like 2

I really like this. What is your website? Will this work for 2015 2500HD High Country Headlights? And could you explain what you had to cut? I don't see where you had to cut anything. Sorry for the 20 questions, but this sounds legitimate.

Looks like the Base (Elevation) model is going to have a different headlight than the SLT. On the base I see an orange turn signal indicator light towards the middle of the truck from the projector. On the SLT, it is all chrome with a different GMC logo. And I read on this forum earlier that the full led headlamps are coming with an oval projector. So 3 different headlamps are going to be available.

For me with a 2014 SLE, the 2016 base headlights may be cheaper than the rest of the options. Only reason I'm looking at this is my model uses the headlight bulb as DRL so I don't want to put aftermarket HID's in there and constantly have problems. Everytime I unlock the truck, the lights come on and off, park to drive, on and off, remote start on and off and you get the idea. Plus running them all day long is going to wear them out prematurely. Funny thing is I could care less about the LED DRL or any LED's for that matter just have to have them to be able to run hid's.

I understand the FXR projectors are better but I don't feel like cutting my headlight housing open. I'm good with a stock projector with HID. I ran it on my 2004 Sierra with the Denali headlights for years and it was fine by me.

Anyways found the video down here...

I really like this. What is your website? Will this work for 2015 2500HD High Country Headlights? And could you explain what you had to cut? I don't see where you had to cut anything. Sorry for the 20 questions, but this sounds legitimate.

Hey there. The kit that you want for your truck is this one right here:

http://www.fastheadlights.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=fxr%5Fchevy%5Fretrofit%2Dkit

The rx350 shown above is only an option for the sierra at the moment until I can get the time to make it up for the chevy. Honestly rhough, you are better off with the fxr as it will save you money and get you awesome performance. Fxr retrofits in the Chevy are easy. You don't have to cut anything other than a hole for your hid wires in the back cap. Along with heating the cap up to stretch it out to make it a little deeper.

I already have 55w 6000k HIDs in the Factory lights and they put out a decent amount of good light. Will the 35w 5000k with the FXR projectors be as bright?

I am having an issue where I have to turn my lights on and off to get the right side to ignite and I don't want to go back to the shop where I bought them because I have had to go there so many times to get through the DRL issues. They didn't initially install a relay and so on, but I do have a 2 year warranty on everything through them including bulbs and ballasts with free labor with a 2 hour wait each time.

If I go with I assume that I need to remove the head light. Is this true? If so, do you think this video is good to follow for a 2500HD High Country Silverado even though its for the Denali?

Headlight, Grill, and upper bumper removal on a 2015 Denali (part1) - YouTube

Thanks,

Menteleum

I already have 55w 6000k HIDs in the Factory lights and they put out a decent amount of good light. Will the 35w 5000k with the FXR projectors be as bright?

I am having an issue where I have to turn my lights on and off to get the right side to ignite and I don't want to go back to the shop where I bought them because I have had to go there so many times to get through the DRL issues. They didn't initially install a relay and so on, but I do have a 2 year warranty on everything through them including bulbs and ballasts with free labor with a 2 hour wait each time.

If I go with I assume that I need to remove the head light. Is this true? If so, do you think this video is good to follow for a 2500HD High Country Silverado even though its for the Denali?

Headlight, Grill, and upper bumper removal on a 2015 Denali (part1) - YouTube

Thanks,

Menteleum

That video is close to the same but just a tad different. That will help give you an idea though.

I can create a bundle on our website that let's you use your existing hid wiring and will save you some money. Let me know if you would like that.

I just installed the morimoto fx-r 55 watt 6000k in my 2014 GMC Sierra I'm not sure how some of you did this so fast it took me a total of 11 hours 2 days maybe it was the instruction problem and the customizing of the customizing but I got them in and I'm extremely happy I was worried about getting flashed when I bought these but like another postes posted as long as you have them aimed right you should be fine. I had also bought a bracket from faster headlights this is where I found the instructions to be wrong. Anyways I decided not to bake my headlights to get the lense off or get the lense off at all infact I cut the back of it where you would access the bulb and cut a bigger square with a dremel with the the intention of putting it back so save everything after that I took out the 4 torx bits off to take the factory headlight out. I then cut the 4 posts that the factory head lit mounted to I drilled my new bracket on the correct way which is what too us so long. Wired everything and what do you know really bright lights so don't let your stock headlights leave you in the dark. Some of you were worried about color for your fog lights as was I since I had changed mine to the rigid LED dot/SAE approved fogs these happen to match up perfect with the 55watt 6000k I hope this answered some questions I did have to use the cancellors for my truck for some reason they sent me 4 I only had to use 2 didn't pay for them and I'm a little confused as to why but I bought my lights from theretrofitsource.com and the bracket from fastheadlights.com

I just installed the morimoto fx-r 55 watt 6000k in my 2014 GMC Sierra I'm not sure how some of you did this so fast it took me a total of 11 hours 2 days maybe it was the instruction problem and the customizing of the customizing but I got them in and I'm extremely happy I was worried about getting flashed when I bought these but like another postes posted as long as you have them aimed right you should be fine. I had also bought a bracket from faster headlights this is where I found the instructions to be wrong. Anyways I decided not to bake my headlights to get the lense off or get the lense off at all infact I cut the back of it where you would access the bulb and cut a bigger square with a dremel with the the intention of putting it back so save everything after that I took out the 4 torx bits off to take the factory headlight out. I then cut the 4 posts that the factory head lit mounted to I drilled my new bracket on the correct way which is what too us so long. Wired everything and what do you know really bright lights so don't let your stock headlights leave you in the dark. Some of you were worried about color for your fog lights as was I since I had changed mine to the rigid LED dot/SAE approved fogs these happen to match up perfect with the 55watt 6000k I hope this answered some questions I did have to use the cancellors for my truck for some reason they sent me 4 I only had to use 2 didn't pay for them and I'm a little confused as to why but I bought my lights from theretrofitsource.com and the bracket from fastheadlights.com

Hey there

Glad you are seeing the road better these days :) Ha. I also appreciate the write up. Can you help me out and give me some specific feedback on how we could improve the directions for the installation/retrofit? Always interested in this feedback so we can hopefully make things easier for everyone. Thanks!

Phil

Those will not fit, they are H1. You need H11. Secondly, I have heard that using LED's that have cooling fans should NOT be used inside of headlights with dust caps. I'm not sure the stock cap will clear the back of that fan, anyhow.

I have purchased a set of LEDs from XD until I find OEM black LTZ headlights to send to FAST for an FXR retrofit... The XD H11 LEDs have cooling ribbons coming off the back, no fans.

• Like 1

so i am about to do my FXR 3.0 install on my 14 silverado and i noticed i have some condensation inside my headlights. i wasnt planning on baking and opening up my headlights but is that the only way to clean that up?

also are the majority of people doing the typical D2S ignitor route, or are people using the amp ignitors

Edited by goblue4016

so i am about to do my FXR 3.0 install on my 14 silverado and i noticed i have some condensation inside my headlights. i wasnt planning on baking and opening up my headlights but is that the only way to clean that up?

also are the majority of people doing the typical D2S ignitor route, or are people using the amp ignitors

Just out the light in the oven at like 200 degrees and leave it in there for 5 minutes or so. Pre heat the oven. It will dry them out. The amp ignitor with d2s adapter is the easiest way to go.
  • Like 1