HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Do you have any picture of how the lens is mounted in the stock projector? I have some 2.5" safego projectors that have a way nicer output than the stock projectors. The only problem is that I do not trust that the solenoids will last that long. I was hoping to just swap the lens while doing a black headlight mod. If I can't then I plan on retrofitting these cheap projectors.

Here's a comparison of the two, hard to see with my phone camera, but the safego has a nicer blue line and a sharper cut off. Plus its output is way nicer and doesnt have as many hot spots.

Edited by projectsummit

Do you have any picture of how the lens is mounted in the stock projector? I have some 2.5" safego projectors that have a way nicer output than the stock projectors. The only problem is that I do not trust that the solenoids will last that long. I was hoping to just swap the lens while doing a black headlight mod. If I can't then I plan on retrofitting these cheap projectors.

Here's a comparison of the two, hard to see with my phone camera, but the safego has a nicer blue line and a sharper cut off. Plus its output is way nicer and doesnt have as many hot spots.

You can fit a 3" lens in both the Sierra and Silverados

Here's mine

6F0D5720-50AB-4C36-A442-B99AB3D54421_zps

And here's a comparison shot of the FXR vs 55W DDMTuning HIDs in OEM.

FXR on top and OEM w/ HIDs on bottom

A8463EF1-162B-41A8-8C5D-1FF24784F64D_zps

The FXR was aimed a bit low but I didn't have a screwdriver to adjust the height.

EDIT: if you do the retrofit and don't put halos, I think the beam would be a bit wider. Not much but it should still be somewhat wider cause the halo covers some of the lens.

Edited by Mike1220

I am referring to just changing the lens not the entire projector. Also your stock projector picture is very blurry, doesn't make for a great comparison.

I was under the impression that the stock projectors are 2.5"

The stock projector is more than 2.5 but less than 3. The ring diameter measures 2.85 inside and 3.23 outside. I know Spurlock took some pretty in-depth measurements of a borrowed stock projector in an effort to make some adapter plates for a RX350 Projector project. That may even be somewhere in this thread...

I haven't seen anyone change the lens on the stock projector yet. The thought crossed my mind, but I wouldn't know where to start part wise, and how good the bowl performs since it is made for a halogen bulb.

Good luck with your idea, and report your progress here.

I am referring to just changing the lens not the entire projector. Also your stock projector picture is very blurry, doesn't make for a great comparison.

I was under the impression that the stock projectors are 2.5"

What would the advantage be of just changing the lens?

The stock lens is horrible, would want a clearer cleaner lens.

The stock lens is mounted into a FRP "hat" from behind. The lens is retained by a second FRP piece that fits in behind the lens and it is retained by plastic welded studs, which could be replaced by screws or rivets. The "hat" is attached to the reflector and shield/shutter assembly by plastic welded studs which could be replaced by a conventional fastener.

As you probably know, the lens, reflector, shield, and bulb all work as a unit. A change to one of them is a result of the new combination. The profile of the lens is designed to compliment the profile of the reflector.

So, the reason I asked what would be the advantage of replacing the lens, is because once you have access to the projector, you can easily replace it with a projector that performs better. The hard part is access. Phil will have a bolt-in solution soon if not already.

Edited by spurshot

I've read through all of these post in this thread and I am still uncertain as to what I want to order. Although, I have narrowed it down. I have a 2015 Silverado with projectors and I am not going to do a retrofit. I am just going to buy a kit from TRS.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-silverado-low-beam.html?carDisplay=2015+Chevrolet+Silverado++w%2F+Projectors&preselect=RELAY-H11#.VSgA5a10wy8

The kit above I would imaging is what I need. I want it to be completely plug and play and reliable. If this kit is ok, what should I get 35W or 50W. I want white light with NO blue.

Also, where is a good place to get LED's for the fogs to match?

You can buy fogs right on our website if you want.

I did the same thing for my driver side at first haha. Only thing is you have the excuse of looking over the fender. I put my bulbs in before I put the projectors in my lights haha.

Finally got to do my retrofit and it came out incredible! Love the FXRs especially compared to the OEM projectors. After having 55W HIDs, 45W LMZs, and halogens in the stock projectors, I can say that NOTHING compares to the FXRs, I got 50W HIDs in them. Not sure which ones they are but they were some upgraded set from TRS, I think the XB35. My advice for anyone who wants to improve the lighting, just go for the retrofit. It's well worth it.

Also I want to give a big thanks to Dcarl for some help that I got from him while I was doing the retrofit and a big thanks to Phil from Fastheadlights for creating the adapter bracket, the bracket made the retrofit so much easier

Awesome man.! Glad it worked out for you. Got version 2.0 of that bracket done yesterday . Lol. Only thing different than the one you are using now is that it now allows for the rear install method and is just a bit smaller than the one you are using. Let's see some output pics big guy!
  • Like 1

The stock lens is horrible, would want a clearer cleaner lens.

I have already tried doing a clear lense swap to replace the fresnal lenses in the oem units. Honestly, the result is not worth the effort. Like Spurshot said, if you have done the work to remove the projector you might as well just replacer it with an FXR. We now have the bracket designed to accomodate the rear install method. When customers buy the kit off our site it is the new version. I should have the install document done this weekend as well. The new bracket was finalized this week. Thanks to Dave and Spurshot for the info/feedback needed to improve the first version of the adapter kit.
  • Like 1

Installed my TRS Morimoto HID kit into the factory projectors today. I mounted the relays under the radiator cover on the support brace just behind and to one side of the hood latch. The ballasts were velcroed to the radiator shroud.

The only problem was that the H11B bulbs were too long to fit in the headlight access cover. I had to cut the back of the cover box section. I used some 1.5" styrene stops to extend the box. JB Weld is my friend.

• Like 1

Anyone have issues with the Beam pattern with their HID's? I put a DDM kit in, and had the "Smiley face" issue so I rotated my bulb, and it took it away, but now I have a pretty large gap in beam coverage right in front of me. I have the 2014 Sierra SLT with Projectors.

Any Help is Appreciated.