HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Just got the email back from them, they said what spurshot said, they don't recommend the Canbus. "That is correct, we don't recommend running the canbus just the relay harness with a capacitor link."

I did not see the sierra kit, even going back and putting my vehicle in the filter couldn't find it. Though i think i can use their exchange policy to get it worked out.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-sierra-low-beam.html#.VRAaKfnF-So

Though looking at the way they're exchange works i might be able to exchange the Canbus for 9012 harness and add capacitor links to cart and be done.

Edited by 5RWill

I'm a brand new member to this site, I don't have either vehicle yet, but I'll be ordering a '15 Sierra Denali 1500 by the end of this week or early next. I've read all the compliments on this truck, and obviously the concerns on the headlights. I've read through all the information I could here and have come up with a few questions I couldn't find specific answers to. Hopefully all you PROS out there can help me with the answers...

1. Wattage: From all I've read, it appears a basic retrofit that does NOT include new projectors generally needs more wattage (55W) to be satisfactory, whereas when the retrofit DOES include new/better projectors, 35W is plenty. TRUE or FALSE?

2. Low heat: A supposed HID "expert" told me last night a big problem with HID headlights is unlike halogen incandescent bulbs there isn't enough heat generated in the housing to keep the lens clear in heavy snow. (I live in Colorado) TRUE or FALSE?

3. Easy projector retrofits: I'm aware "fastheadlights" has the adapters for the FXR projectors, but are there any other finished, available adapter brackets that would give me a choice of projectors?

Edited by jetfixer737

I'm a brand new member to this site, I don't have either vehicle yet, but I'll be ordering a '15 Sierra Denali 1500 by the end of this week or early next. I've read all the compliments on this truck, and obviously the concerns on the headlights. I've read through all the information I could here and have come up with a few questions I couldn't find specific answers to. Hopefully all you PROS out there can help me with the answers...

1. Wattage: From all I've read, it appears a basic retrofit that does NOT include new projectors generally needs more wattage (55W) to be satisfactory, whereas when the retrofit DOES include new/better projectors, 35W is plenty. TRUE or FALSE?

2. Low heat: A supposed HID "expert" told me last night a big problem with HID headlights is unlike halogen incandescent bulbs there isn't enough heat generated in the housing to keep the lens clear in heavy snow. (I live in Colorado) TRUE or FALSE?

3. Easy projector retrofits: I'm aware "fastheadlights" has the adapters for the FXR projectors, but are there any other finished, available adapter brackets that would give me a choice of projectors?

Gonna try to answer these to the best of my knowledge

1) true and false. This answer is extremely opinionated and the real answer boils down to your personal preference, some members are perfectly fine and happy with just 35W HIDs in the OEM projectors, some, like me, want more light so they go with a 55W, so If you are looking to maximize your light without a retrofit, then a 55W would probably be best

2) don't have a clue since I live in Louisiana so the closest we see to snow is just some slushy sleet.

3) as far as I know, there aren't any other adapter brackets. Granted I haven't searched high and low on the interwebs so there could be one, but I haven't seen one yet nor have I seen one mentioned on here.

1. As far as wattage, I'm using 35w HID in 4300k and they are a major improvement over stock. I'm sure 55w would be better, but I haven't tried them.

2. As far as lower heat and not keeping the lens clear....I live in the Philadelphia area and we've been hit with a pretty harsh winter so I feel I can speak from experience on this. I totally noticed my headlights icing over to the point where the headlights were nearly useless! I just thought it was a product of projector headlights in general but now I'm questioning that. I was originally going to do 55w HID but was afraid of too much heat in the housing, but now you've got me considering buying some 55w to try out. Of course winter is finally over so I won't be able to confirm, but it definitely eases my worries about 55w being too hot.

3. I'm sorry, I have no knowledge on this subject.

1. I had 35w in OEM, it was definitely not enough and does not compare to my father's Jeep Cherokee's OEM projector with OEM HIDs. I ended up upgrading to 55w and the output is way better. One way to know if your output is good enough is look to see if you can see the cutoff line at all during the drive at night. If you cant, bulb is not making enough of a difference or your housing is scattering light everywhere.

2. As far as I know, if you input the same amount of power to power an HID from halogen, your HIDs will be way cooler to run, but since they have a ballast to draw power for them, they usually run just as hot or hotter from halogens to maximize light output. I have looked up people testing the temperature, they run about the same at 35w.

3. I cant be sure on this, sorry, I am happy with my 55w in OEM projectors.

Happy HID retrofitting :)

Does anyone have the exact size/length of the screws needed to swap in the FX-R 3" lenses into the factory mount on the '14 Silverado?

post 901 will help, but I'd say order the FastHeadlight adapters as my driver side light has shifted on me after that install. i have them now, but have not gotten around to putting them in yet because of work and being able to do things that need light much later. Winter was a nice time to work on the truck since as soon as I got home from work I could only work inside using lights.

I think more people are okay with 35 watt in the Silverado do to the larger 3" projectors, but I love my 50 watts. So your probably best off going right to the 50 watt lights if you can't see them first. I had no issues in 17 degree weather on vacation, but can't help with real low temps. Fastheadlights are the only ones I'm aware of, but I don't pay as much attention to the Sierra options.

Quick couple updates for everyone.

1.) I just created a newer version of our Sierra FXR bracket that will work for all of you doing the rear install method. Seems like there are quite a few. Those will be updated on our website in another week. Just have a couple more test installs to do before I make them available. So far they are great.

2.) Here is an updated method for extending the Chevy dust caps on the back. It uses this new stuff called Fiber Fix that can be found in Lowes for like $6. A customer of ours did this and I think it looks real good. The fiber is pre dipped in a resin that is water activated. Strong adhesive and forms into a rock hard material in less than 30 minutes. Can be drilled and sanded. Check out the pic below. I strongly encourage the straight D2S to amp adapters out the back but this guy used a different d2s ballast wire that he had and ran it out the side. The straight adapters are just the most slim form factor and requires much less room is why we have them in the kit we bundle together.

5f6e8ff1f6e945d02a38da84734912d6.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Phil,

Are you guys not taking in headlights anymore?

Does anyone know any other places that will clear them for you?

Modding cars for a long time but baking headlights has never been my favorite thing.

Hey man.

We can do a simple clearing job for you. We are taking some time off from the custom orders so we can focus in some other things like developing kits as well as a few other things. Message me on here with some info about your clearing job and we can work something out. Thanks.

post 901 will help, but I'd say order the FastHeadlight adapters as my driver side light has shifted on me after that install. i have them now, but have not gotten around to putting them in yet because of work and being able to do things that need light much later. Winter was a nice time to work on the truck since as soon as I got home from work I could only work inside using lights.

Thanks man, I ordered the adapters today!

~Nick

This is not yet finished, but I just wanted to give a look at something I've been working on this weekend. The FX-R is not my cup of tea because I prefer to only use OEM components when retroing. I'm just very particular with what parts I use. Anways, my previous setup in the bike was the FX35 with a TSX lens and had decent results. This time around I'm trying the RX350 like spurshot on here. Since the FX-R is the only one right now with an adapter bracket available, I'm making my own similiar to spurshot's but with a twist...literally lol.

Here is what I have so far. It allows for +/-3* of rotational adjustment. I don't think it will need much if any, but I wanted the ability to adjust to guarantee a level beam. The white items are the Sierra bracket, the red hatched is obviously the adapter bracket, and the blue is the actual dimensions of certain items on the projector to give an idea of the clearances. The bottom blue line is 0.1100" (7/64") from the bracket while level. At 3* of rotation it is 0.0082" (<1/64".) There is some obvious work yet to be done regarding the bracket shape in relation to the white mounting holes on the Sierra bracket.

So for those in the future also wanting to use an OEM projector instead of a replica then there will be a bracket available as I won't be stingy and will share. Just need to do some tweaking and then test cut it before sending the code to the machinist. There could be a lot of tweaking though as everything was measured manually which is super annoying and tedious.

EDIT: Had 5* of rotation. Forced to update it to only 3*.

post-138385-0-51852400-1427861506_thumb.png

Edited by Dunc

This is not yet finished, but I just wanted to give a look at something I've been working on this weekend. The FX-R is not my cup of tea because I prefer to only use OEM components when retroing. I'm just very particular with what parts I use. Anways, my previous setup in the bike was the FX35 with a TSX lens and had decent results. This time around I'm trying the RX350 like spurshot on here. Since the FX-R is the only one right now with an adapter bracket available, I'm making my own similiar to spurshot's but with a twist...literally lol.

Here is what I have so far. It allows for +/-5* of rotational adjustment. I don't think it will need much if any, but I wanted the ability to adjust to guarantee a level beam. The white items are the Sierra bracket, the red hatched is obviously the adapter bracket, and the blue is the actual dimensions of certain items on the projector to give an idea of the clearances. The bottom blue line is 0.1100" (7/64") fromt the bracket while level. At 5* of rotation it is 0.0098" (<1/64".) There is some obvious work yet to be done regarding the bracket shape in relation to the white mounting holes on the Sierra bracket.

So for those in the future also wanting to use an OEM projector instead of a replica then there will be a bracket available as I won't be stingy and will share. Just need to do some tweaking and then test cut it before sending the code to the machinist. There could be a lot of tweaking though as everything was measured manually which is super annoying and tedious.

do you think you could do a set of brackets for the tl projectors? if not, a set of those without the rx350 slot cut just marked in case ?