Auto transmission filter seal tool

I have been trying to find the part number for the transmission filter seal removal tool. My local Chevy dealer parts guy found this tool but there was no number associated with it in the illustration. The tool is used to remove the metal body seal from the transmission housing when installing a new filter in the transmission. Removing the seal without damaging anything is difficult due to lip being small on the seal body and tight interference fit.

Use a small screwdriver flat-head and a hammer and gently bend it inward....it'll pop out easy enough.

+1 Never had a problem doing it this way

Dude, the other posts stated the best way. After you carefully tippy tap it, it almost falls out on its own. The stupid tool that's worthless IMO is not needed. Flat tip, small hammer, and some patience will have it out in no time.

This is what the GM Service Information program specifically says about the filter seal:

"Remove the filter seal. The filter seal may be stuck in the pump; if necessary, carefully use pliers or another suitable tool to remove the seal."

After reading some of the responses to your post I now remember why I've been avoiding this place lately.

This is what the GM Service Information program specifically says about the filter seal:

"Remove the filter seal. The filter seal may be stuck in the pump; if necessary, carefully use pliers or another suitable tool to remove the seal."

After reading some of the responses to your post I now remember why I've been avoiding this place lately.

whats wrong john? experience does account for something imo

whats wrong john? experience does account for something imo

It wasn't anything you posted Rob....lol.....but after his second post I thought he made it perfectly clear he was searching for a part number for a tool only and not opinions. Considering PM26's post count I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he wants to do when it comes to his tranny. :cheers:

So now that you mentioned it I'm curious, can leaving the seal intact cause tranny failure? I would really like to know without starting a new thread, op sorry if I hijack u.

Once I saw that seal (took it out in the first fluid change) and how incredibly robust it is I decided to just leave it. I might change it the next time around, just as prevention, but it is one heck of a robust little seal.

Archived