More info on 14 Silverado/Sierra

If this is redundant information, please delete...

Fresh on the heels of revealing more performance and fuel economy numbers on the heart-of-the-market 2014 5.3-liter V-8 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, Jeff Luke, executive chief engineer for Silverado and Sierra, answered a few questions about the new details.

The call-in conference shed more light on the just-released information about the new trucks and offered some interesting additional facts. Here are some of the high points.

• GM did follow the J2807 towing standards in regard to performance and procedures but will not fully comply until the industry (meaning competitors) decides to follow the same guidelines. Asstated earlier, GM does not want to put its customers in a situation where they need to figure out how to compare GM's apples to the competition's oranges. When all manufacturers use the same standard, so will GM. Unfortunately, Ford and Ram Truck could say the same thing.

• The two biggest issues on a truck buyer's mind are power and fuel economy, noted the marketing gurus at Chevy and GMC. Those issues keep bubbling to surface with their customers. What that means, Luke said, is that GM will keep looking at all possible ways to continuously improve the two trucks, meaning options such as eight-speed transmissions, twin-turbo V-6 options and light-duty diesels. Luke said we should "stay tuned."

• The new trucks have been scrutinized and shaved in every way, but comparing the weight of a 2013 Silverado with the weight of a 2014 Silverado would be difficult because the 2014 truck has so many more standard safety and performance features. Our guess is that for every ounce gained, the team had to show an equal amount of weight savings. All Luke would tell us is that, according to GM calculations, a comparably equipped Ford F-150 would weigh 200 pounds more than a new Silverado.

• Right now, almost 90 percent of all Silverados and Sierras sold are either extended or crew cabs, with the vast majority being the latter. That leaves regular cab models hovering between 10 and 12 percent. GMC, as you might expect, trends a little higher with its crew cabs, mostly because its buyers tend to purchase the more well-appointed trucks with more expensive option packages. GMC marketing representatives believe the new Sierra will go even further in that direction.

• The maximum towing capacity for the Silverado and Sierra is 11,500 pounds, but that will be only with trucks outfitted with the max-trailering package (special note: the gross combined weight rating is said to be 17,500 pounds). The highest tow ratings without the max-tow package for regular cabs is 10,200 pounds; for crew cabs it's 9,700 pounds. And all max-tow package-equipped trucks will be running 3.73:1 ring and pinion gears; 4.10:1 gears will not be offered for 2014.

• The two-year free maintenance program for both Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra will carry over from the 2013 models to 2014, but no information was disclosed about the program continuing beyond the end of the year.

• For those off-road package enthusiasts, we were told the Silverado Z71 option package will be "beefed up" beyond the usual stickers and shocks packages we've seen in the past. Chevrolet seems to understand this is a strong and recognizable brand, and it will get significant improvements in the future. Likewise, GMC sees the Denali and All Terrain nameplates getting stronger, perhaps getting some significant support with even more engineering distinction.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/04/more-information-about-2014-silverado-sierra.html

Amazing how it took them so long to realize that the current Z71 Package is a joke. :rolleyes:

Maybe something similar the the ford raptor. All ford negatives aside, my friend just bought one and it is a very capable off road vehicle right out of the box. The suspension on it makes my SLT feel like a clunker in comparison

It's been said elsewhere that Z71 might become a sub brand and Zane hinted that there might be more serious stuff to come. I'm kinda excited, even though chances are I won't be able to afford anything special if GM makes it. :lol:

It's been said elsewhere that Z71 might become a sub brand and Zane hinted that there might be more serious stuff to come. I'm kinda excited, even though chances are I won't be able to afford anything special if GM makes it. :lol:

You mean like the special chrome Z71 stickers that are a $100 option? ;) Edit: The point to that is if stickers are $100 freaking dollars, what would something of substance cost?

I just hope they drop the LT1 ,2, 3, LTZ stuff. People stand behind branding. The Ford guys once past XL, STX, XLT are buying Lariats, FX-off road or Platinums & what not. I know the rumor of the High Country logo & Denali, but there is so much in between they need to add some identity to. LTZ has still to this day made me think Lumina.

I don't do chrome. :lol:

What I was trying to say is if GM has a Raptor/Power Wagon type of rig it will probably cost more than I can reasonably afford. This truck is already more than I should've spent as it is. :lol:

FYI - The official GMC Brochure is now available

http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Vehicles/Current_Vehicles/2014_Sierra/Model_Overview/02_PDF/2014-gmc-sierra-download-brochure.pdf

According to the brochure, the 6.2 is only available on SLT.

The brochure also confirms that the crew cab is the same existing size as the GMT 900 but they added a few inches of leg room by " cleverly using the existing space ".

Here are some additional points if found interesting...

- Front 3 passenger leather appointed 40/20/40 split bench with 10 way power seat adjusters including power lumbar control, heated seat cushions and seatbacks, 2 position driver memory (does not apply to lumbar adjuster) and adjustable head restraints only available on SLT - good news for us who want a 6.2 and 6 passenger seating!

- no subwoofer for front bench seat, Bose 6 speaker system is available without subwoofer. ( they must be using a center front speaker to count 6)

- Rear DVD entertainment system only available with front bucket seats

- Express down on ALL windows.

- Steering column is now tilt and telescopic

- Z71 package now includes

- Rancho monotube shocks

- High capacity air cleaner

- Hill Decent control

- Underbody shield package

- Eaton Heavy Duty Automatic locking rear differential

Neat find. Too bad they've locked out the 6.2 from everything but high end trucks, not thrilled with that at all. Hopefully Chevy versions will allow it on lesser trims.

Neat find. Too bad they've locked out the 6.2 from everything but high end trucks, not thrilled with that at all. Hopefully Chevy versions will allow it on lesser trims.

Yeah, I was hopeing it would be avail on sle at least.

Good thing is that the 6.2 doesn't say that it requires a double or crew cab. We can still hold out hope that there will be a 6.2 regular cab short bed hot rod available!

Archived