First official 2014 Silverado & Sierra specs - 355hp 5.3L

Best mileage that I've seen with my '11 6.2. This was on a 200 mile round trip to the family cabin on the lake. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1364920277.082839.jpg

Nice! Mine is at 14.5 right now which is the best I've had it, but I have the 3.73 gears too. It's still better than what I thought I would get which was 13 mpg, and I would probably get even better if I could keep my foot out of it :D

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I avg about 14 on my '11 4x4 5.3 with 275 70 18 BFGs. Wife's Z71 Tahoe 4wd does about 16. The Hoe will do 20 on a highway trip and mine is about 16 on the same trip. I'm betting the 6.2 doesn't get within 2 mpg of the new 5.3, otherwise the whole 3 out of 4 number probably won't apply. I didn't get a 6.2 for a few reasons. Current 5.3 mileage sucks, lack of available 6.2s, most stations here in rural GA carry 87 octane or diesel. Not a lot of 91+ or anything in middle, plus 87 is high e-damn-nuff.

So their goal was to beat ford's ecoboost v6 and they did it buy 1 mpg, not to impressive if you ask me... So tired of the 1-5hp /tq /mpg 100-500lbs more towing/hauling thing and claiming the best with these company's. Build something that will blow the doors off like 25 hwy 21 combined mpg. Make the competition harder gm. Kind of glad I din't wait and bought my 2013 gmc which gets 21 hwy 17 combined. I do like the new look and the fact of larger rear axle's though.....

So their goal was to beat ford's ecoboost v6 and they did it buy 1 mpg, not to impressive if you ask me... So tired of the 1-5hp /tq /mpg 100-500lbs more towing/hauling thing and claiming the best with these company's. Build something that will blow the doors off like 25 hwy 21 combined mpg. Make the competition harder gm. Kind of glad I din't wait and bought my 2013 gmc which gets 21 hwy 17 combined. I do like the new look and the fact of larger rear axle's though.....

So, I'm probably going to wait until the Ram 3.0 Diesel rolls out and go Ram. The new body styling by GM is "safe" and motor upgrades are "safe". $100 bucks says the G80 locker will not be fixed and or addressed.

Kinda ready for something different. Oh, plus the 28MPG for daily driving.

What exactly are you talking about with the G80 needs to be "fixed", addressed? Is there something awfully wrong with it that you say this. Every GM truck/suv I owned had one and they worked exactly how they are supposed to.

Sent from my iPhone4S

using Tapatalk

So, I'm probably going to wait until the Ram 3.0 Diesel rolls out and go Ram. The new body styling by GM is "safe" and motor upgrades are "safe". $100 bucks says the G80 locker will not be fixed and or addressed.

What exactly are you talking about with the G80 needs to be "fixed", addressed? Is there something awfully wrong with it that you say this. Every GM truck/suv I owned had one and they worked exactly how they are supposed to.

Sent from my iPhone4S

using Tapatalk

Ya they work but they aren't as tough as advertised, I've blown up 3. And the ones that lasted at around 100k miles they didn't work very good. The one in my truck now is pooched as well, gonna get a grizzly locker. The "G" must stand for "grenade" cuz that's all they seem to do with time...

I changed the oil in my diff a week ago and the magnet looked like a Christmas tree with chunks on it. :)

No word on that. I'd expect late 2014 or maybe pushed to 2015 after everything else rolls. It's 25% of GMC HD truck sales, so I'd bet it will be talked about soon.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know when the rest of the specs will be released?

Truck weight, length width, etc? I am curious to know how much lighter these trucks are compared to GMT900.

I bet the Denail will launch with the 6.2 and 8-speed! Similar to how the GMT900 Denail was released with the 6 speed 2 years before it was avail in the other trims.

Sorry, not super impressed here and certainly happy I ordered a '13 to hopefully replace my '11 with. BTW, if everybody is waiting for the 6.2 truck engine to surpass the Vette numbers for HP, you're going to be waiting a long time. Just give me my 1/2 ton, crew, 6'6" boxed, 4500 Duramax/6L90E GM, that's all I want. To hell with the rest of it.

Agreed. 100%

The fuel economy sounds great 'n all, but at half the HP? Last I read it was in the neighborhood of 240 hp. Granted, more torque, but as a daily driver it is going to be a dog. Then add the $4500-$5000 price premium with higher diesel fuel costs. Going to take a long time for that thing to return money on the investment.

For what it is worth, would not be excited about this motor in ANY BRAND truck. GM owns half of VM Motori & has motors licensed out through them. Would not think it would take much to throw this in their truck too. Would rather them resurrect their small 4.5L Dmax if they even think half ton diesel.

More info here... http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/02/we-drive-ram-1500s-diesel-in-a-jeep.html

Chrysler owns the other half. I'm just going have to wait and see if the specs for the Ram 3.0 change for the Ram1500. The specs i'm seeing are straight from the Cherokee version. I know GM tried their diesel business back '10 but got scared and backed out. The Dmax Lite would be perfect all around daily driver, weekend camper/boat. I'm just ready for something different and new all around.

Chrysler owns the other half. I'm just going have to wait and see if the specs for the Ram 3.0 change for the Ram1500. The specs i'm seeing are straight from the Cherokee version. I know GM tried their diesel business back '10 but got scared and backed out. The Dmax Lite would be perfect all around daily driver, weekend camper/boat. I'm just ready for something different and new all around.

Damn straight. Half ton dmax for the win!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone4S

using Tapatalk

I have personally owned 2. 2004 and the current 2009. Both of them have:

"clunked" going from P to D

"clunked" from a stop to roll

"clunked" from a roll to a stop

"clunked" shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

Both years have been clunky bitches. Now, It may not be the G80 locker. It vary well maybe something else. I do know its sucks, it's annoying and shouldn't ever be happening.

Having owned 3 GM's with the G80, a 2005 Silverado 4x4 5.3L, a 2007 Silverado 4x4 6.0L and now a 2009 4x4 6.2L, I've never had any issue. They always worked perfectly and I never really noticed they were even there.

And I definitely did not baby any of the trucks. I drive my vehicles hard and have to replace the rear tires on a yearly basis. As well, none of those trucks were stock and all had various modifications (tuning, engine work, exhaust, etc, etc).

Having owned 3 GM's with the G80, a 2005 Silverado 4x4 5.3L, a 2007 Silverado 4x4 6.0L and now a 2009 4x4 6.2L, I've never had any issue. They always worked perfectly and I never really noticed they were even there.

And I definitely did not baby any of the trucks. I drive my vehicles hard and have to replace the rear tires on a yearly basis. As well, none of those trucks were stock and all had various modifications (tuning, engine work, exhaust, etc, etc).

Meh, if you've never blown up, had issues with g80, or just have one that wears out really fast. then you fall into two categories my fine feathered friend.

1.you don't bag drive ur truck, blow thru tires like crazy, have big tires or off road much.

2. You don't have a g80 rear end.

Nuff said

Before I sold my 08 it had 62k on it, and the G80 was still functioning. Not saying its the greatest locker in the world but it was working. Thats big lift, big tires, tranny tuned enough to bark tires in 2nd gear, and off-roaded the thing regularly, and towed a boat with it.

Meh, if you've never blown up, had issues with g80, or just have one that wears out really fast. then you fall into two categories my fine feathered friend.

1.you don't bag drive ur truck, blow thru tires like crazy, have big tires or off road much.

2. You don't have a g80 rear end.

Nuff said

You are making quite the leap for someone who doesn't know me or my driving habits! Some people have crappy luck with vehicle components and some people have great luck! I also never made any definite conclusions on whether the diffs had problems or not, I simply spoke from my experience and my experience was that I never had issues. I've had plenty of problems with other parts of my GM trucks, but the differential was always the least of my worries.

Can definitely verify that every truck had the G80. Never ran big tires, but trucks was definitely taken off road on many occasions and had been to the drag strip many times. Blew out the transmission in the 2007 due to the abuse.

I used to road race a track prepped Z06 so I definitely know a thing or two about vehicle abuse.

Every Chevy I've owned I've worn out or blew up. My 2002 I blew up 2, eventually put in a real locker but with 14 bolt semi floater. My 06 the pin sheared off as well, now my current truck is pretty much toasted too. Clunks when it locks I should say if it locks, one wheel peels pretty much on demand. I just change oil again running half and half Lucas stuff in it helped a bit but not much. Maybe I've just had bad luck but deff not a fan.

Archived