First official 2014 Silverado & Sierra specs - 355hp 5.3L

Curious of available gear ratios...

+1. They mention the "max tow package" w/ a 5.3L, so I'm guessing that the 3.73 will be an option without having to opt for a 6.2.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been listening to the after press release conference call. Here's a few interesting things I've heard.

- 200lbs less than similar Ford F-150

- Other specs will be released in May - EPA testing on 4.3L and 6.2L not completed yet

- 5.3L will be only launch engine

- Same starting price as outgoing model

- Similar option prices, no large increases

- They expect more crew-cab sales

- Sierra has higher level of standard equipment

-

Still updating....

Any news when we will see the Denali? I would think it would have the 6.2!

Any news when we will see the Denali? I would think it would have the 6.2!

No word on that. I'd expect late 2014 or maybe pushed to 2015 after everything else rolls. It's 25% of GMC HD truck sales, so I'd bet it will be talked about soon.

From what I've seen on other automakers & models that move to 8-speeds, I'd imagine we can expect a +1-3mpg improvement in these trucks when they get the new transmission.

Yeah, Ram picked up 2 mpg from the 6 spd - 8 spd going from 13/15 city & 19/21 hwy.

The kicker is that Ford & GM were working on 9/10 speeds together. Gm getting the 9 speed for the fwd cars & Ford doing the majority on the 10 speed for rwd cars & trucks. Have not heard updates since the announcement of that though.

Edit: Ram did do some aero things in the change on the mpg in addition to the 8 spd. Not sure how the truck was configured for EPA testing. Have test drove one & the trans is very nice. Cannot wait to get to the updated transmissions in the years to come on the GM trucks.

Well if we see the same % increase in both HP and TQ for the 6.2L you would get a 454HP 477TQ engine. I can see it now with nice 454 decals! I think that would be cool, however maybe they round them out to 450 & 475 or there about.

What I wonder and I've not looked at any of the other new specs is if they carryover the MYC 6L80 I think it had a maximum torque rating of 439ftlb's... Although I think I read they are beefing up the drivetrain as well for the new V8's

I'd buy a 454................................. Even if it is horsepower and not cubic inches.

I'm intrigued on what is meant by a "Z71 sub brand". What could this mean? As far as power...I thought they would match Fords 5.0. I suppose they tuned it or better mpg, and 355 hp is plenty (if there is a such thing as enough horsepower...lol). The trickling out of info keeps me on edge for more info, more info, and more info. Hahaha.

I'm intrigued on what is meant be a "Z71 sub brand". What could this mean? As far as power...I thought they would match Fords 5.0. I suppose they tuned it or better mpg, and 355 hp is plenty (if there is a such thing as enough horsepower...lol). The trickling out of info keeps me on edge for more info, more info, and more info. Hahaha.

Based on the dyno charts, the 5.3L looks to be making alot more torque at lower RPM's that the 5.0. Peak numbers don't tell the whole story and while the 5.0L is a nice, smooth engine at high RPMs, it seriously lacks low end grunt. I'd much rather have a better torque curve below 4000 rpm than a screamer at 5000 - 6000.

Based on the dyno charts, the 5.3L looks to be making alot more torque at lower RPM's that the 5.0. Peak numbers don't tell the whole story and while the 5.0L is a nice, smooth engine at high RPMs, it seriously lacks low end grunt. I'd much rather have a better torque curve below 4000 rpm than a screamer at 5000 - 6000.

Agreed!

I'm intrigued on what is meant by a "Z71 sub brand". What could this mean? As far as power...I thought they would match Fords 5.0. I suppose they tuned it or better mpg, and 355 hp is plenty (if there is a such thing as enough horsepower...lol). The trickling out of info keeps me on edge for more info, more info, and more info. Hahaha.

I too am intrigued what the z71 as a sub brand means. Also I want to know more about color matching options for the new trucks as opposed to just the chrome on the ltz models.

Well if we see the same % increase in both HP and TQ for the 6.2L you would get a 454HP 477TQ engine. I can see it now with nice 454 decals! I think that would be cool, however maybe they round them out to 450 & 475 or there about.

What I wonder and I've not looked at any of the other new specs is if they carryover the MYC 6L80 I think it had a maximum torque rating of 439ftlb's... Although I think I read they are beefing up the drivetrain as well for the new V8's

I'd buy a 454................................. Even if it is horsepower and not cubic inches.

I'd be all over a "454" as well that would be awesome! especially if they designed a z71 with the 454 engine and found a way to integrate the logos together.

So their goal was to beat ford's ecoboost v6 and they did it buy 1 mpg, not to impressive if you ask me... So tired of the 1-5hp /tq /mpg 100-500lbs more towing/hauling thing and claiming the best with these company's. Build something that will blow the doors off like 25 hwy 21 combined mpg. Make the competition harder gm. Kind of glad I din't wait and bought my 2013 gmc which gets 21 hwy 17 combined. I do like the new look and the fact of larger rear axle's though.....

So their goal was to beat ford's ecoboost v6 and they did it buy 1 mpg, not to impressive if you ask me... So tired of the 1-5hp /tq /mpg 100-500lbs more towing/hauling thing and claiming the best with these company's. Build something that will blow the doors off like 25 hwy 21 combined mpg. Make the competition harder gm. Kind of glad I din't wait and bought my 2013 gmc which gets 21 hwy 17 combined. I do like the new look and the fact of larger rear axle's though.....

So, I'm probably going to wait until the Ram 3.0 Diesel rolls out and go Ram. The new body styling by GM is "safe" and motor upgrades are "safe". $100 bucks says the G80 locker will not be fixed and or addressed.

Kinda ready for something different. Oh, plus the 28MPG for daily driving.

Holding out for 6.2 numbers. The 5.3 is impressive. I hate the EPA and the fact that truckmakers have to focus on stupid things like fuel economy instead of just horsepower/torque.

Where are you guys seeing Ram 5.7/8-spd combos? I thought that the 8-spd was only available w/ the new pentastar V6? I wouldn't buy a Ram regardless, due to their crazy low payload / carry capacity w/ the independent rear, but I'm curious.

Where are you guys seeing Ram 5.7/8-spd combos? I thought that the 8-spd was only available w/ the new pentastar V6? I wouldn't buy a Ram regardless, due to their crazy low payload / carry capacity w/ the independent rear, but I'm curious.

The V8/8 Speed just became available. If you go to Ram's website, it'll let you build a Hemi/8 Speed Ram 1500.

I have not been able to do a 5.7/8 speed Ram but I've only done a couple configuration types. And the Ram doesn't have an independent rear, just coils instead of leafs.

Archived