GM-Trucks.com will drive the 2014 Silverado in May

I'm specifically interested in:

Interior "cabin" noise, how quiet is it? (Db test?) The new Dodges are quieter than my '13.

Interior quality? Not sure what trim level you'll get, but are they "plasticky"

Is the new Nav system more user friendly than current models?

AFM, is the 4-8 transition better?

Forgetting something, it'll come to me later.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to know if it will:

1. Do a good burnout.

2. Pull a trailer without constantly gear hunting

3. 0-60 in ...time.

I can do #2 and #3 :lol:

I'm specifically interested in:

Interior "cabin" noise, how quiet is it? (Db test?) The new Dodges are quieter than my '13.

Interior quality? Not sure what trim level you'll get, but are they "plasticky"

Is the new Nav system more user friendly than current models?

AFM, is the 4-8 transition better?

Forgetting something, it'll come to me later.

I can do all of those, and will.

-Is rear leg room any better in the extended and crew cabs (depending on which one you get to drive)

-Stock height difference if any from a comparable gmt900.

that'll do for now especially since others have asked about what I want to know already.

Per TSB # 09-06-04-026G, "If a non-GM calibration is found and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty MAY be blocked and notated in Global Warranty Management (GWM) and the dealership will be notified. This block prevents any UNAUTHORIZED warranty claim submission". Sorry to derail the thread.

If they prove it caused the problem, that's when it MAY be blocked. It does not say it must be or can immediately be just because a tune has been identified. Clearly, this TSB is to address a speific issue. If this issue is something that can be caused by a custom tune, and there is evidence of one, then okay, you may be SOL. But, if they just randomly scan your computer and find evidence of a custom tune, that does not give them the right to immediately void your warranty.

They also say you have to use Dexos oil or your wrranty can be voided.

They can say whatever they like.

Zane, sorry. Pretty sweet deal getting to drive one early! :thumbs:

Burnout vid or you don't have a hair on your... :D

If they prove it caused the problem, that's when it MAY be blocked. It does not say it must be or can immediately be just because a tune has been identified. Clearly, this TSB is to address a speific issue. If this issue is something that can be caused by a custom tune, and there is evidence of one, then okay, you may be SOL. But, if they just randomly scan your computer and find evidence of a custom tune, that does not give them the right to immediately void your warranty.

They also say you have to use Dexos oil or your wrranty can be voided.

They can say whatever they like.

Zane, sorry. Pretty sweet deal getting to drive one early! :thumbs:

Correct. Magnusum/moss warranty act prevents voiding of warranty unless proven modification caused failure.

Burnout vid or you don't have a hair on your... :D

Pics of approach and departure angles.

If you see a Z71, find the differences. Are they still putting on skid plates or are they diluting the name even more and heading toward appeareance package only?

Infotainment system: how responsive and fast is it?

Find a huge pothole and nail it dead on at high speed. Call it the "Oklahoma" test.

Lastly, find a hemi ram or 5.0L ford. If they are smart they will have brought them to prove GM superiority.Race it. On AND off road. If GM engineers resist, tell them GM Truck owners "call BS you friggin panzy, unless its going to tow two space shuttles after this"

Ask those engineers who "couldn't find more power" why GM.vehicles are consistantly one of the few brands where every tuner CAN find more power.

Pics of approach and departure angles.

If you see a Z71, find the differences. Are they still putting on skid plates or are they diluting the name even more and heading toward appeareance package only?

Infotainment system: how responsive and fast is it?

Find a huge pothole and nail it dead on at high speed. Call it the "Oklahoma" test.

Lastly, find a hemi ram or 5.0L ford. If they are smart they will have brought them to prove GM superiority.Race it. On AND off road. If GM engineers resist, tell them GM Truck owners "call BS you friggin panzy, unless its going to tow two space shuttles after this"

Ask those engineers who "couldn't find more power" why GM.vehicles are consistantly one of the few brands where every tuner CAN find more power.

Z71's originally were only skid plates & shocks back in the 90's right? Oh & stickers too.

Seeing the 2wd Z71 "appearance packages" a few years ago was laughable.

But Ford sells the FX2 somehow & they can run upwards of $40,000. Blankin' insane...

Thinking the power with tuners is more controlled by the EPA sort than lack of engineers being able to get more out of something.

Hopefully you'll have a chance to test the 4.3L That has me most intrigued as they are talking about major HP/Torque improvements. Also, I have noticed that the 5.3L in the GMT-900 has a little delay when pushing on the throttle/power delivery. There's almost like a brief delay between hitting the gas and RPMs going up. Might just be a software thing. I would be curious to know if the new Silverado has eliminated this.

Z71's originally were only skid plates & shocks back in the 90's right? Oh & stickers too.

Seeing the 2wd Z71 "appearance packages" a few years ago was laughable.

But Ford sells the FX2 somehow & they can run upwards of $40,000. Blankin' insane...

Thinking the power with tuners is more controlled by the EPA sort than lack of engineers being able to get more out of something.

You forgot the important part. ONLY 4WD back in the day. The FX2 is a street truck package. you can tell by the big wheels thinner sidewall tires, grille, body color everything.

Z71 was never anything all that special. As it has been said at the peak you got skids, the borderline useless G80, Bilstein shocks (really the only good upgrade) and other minor details. Selling a 2WD version doesn't dilute the name because it was meaningless to begin with.

And Capital Truck- the delay is the programming/torque management. With the BB tune, the response is excellent. Before I couldn't even get the truck to to a burnout or power brake it, you could feel it having power pulled if you tried. No longer a problem. :D

Ford lets you get a real e locker now. I've never had my G80 lock in a timely manner on anything I've owned. I've taken flack before for my opinion of the unit but I stand by it, the thing sucks.

I'd like to know how the torque management compares to the GMT900 models, as well as their ability to hold 6th gear on the highway with a head-wind or slight hills....and if they can't...how smooth is the 6th-5th-6th shifing?

Hopefully you'll have a chance to test the 4.3L That has me most intrigued as they are talking about major HP/Torque improvements. Also, I have noticed that the 5.3L in the GMT-900 has a little delay when pushing on the throttle/power delivery. There's almost like a brief delay between hitting the gas and RPMs going up. Might just be a software thing. I would be curious to know if the new Silverado has eliminated this.

I will definitely have a chance to drive the 4.3L. I'll be able to drive all the engines and cab configurations. We'll even do some towing. I'll make sure to note your question and try it behind the wheel in May.

Archived