2014 Specs to be released this month

This is what I was thinking. A '14 5.3 with 350+ hp & better fuel economy(with any luck) would make it tougher to sell the current 315 hp. Most would wait a couple more months or at least see them side by side. They need to keep their monthly quotas rolling on the Silverados & Sierras.

this is my thought, but i'd still like to know specs.. as to what I'm going to be saving up for when I purchase a new truck next spring.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am anxiously waiting for the 6.2 to be released this fall. I wonder
if the Denali will be available at launch or not until this fall since
it comes with the 6.2.

I want 6 passenger seating , selectable 4x4, and the 6.2. So the denali is not my first choice. I hope it is released early fall :-)

Mervz:

The trucks were unveiled in December. We were told then that the specs would be "available soon", which in the automotive industry usually equates to 4-6 weeks. We're now nearly three months out and my contacts indicate to me there is an issue. GM has a track record of announcing horsepower very soon after a vehicle is unveiled. Look at the C7! It came out after the trucks and we already know the specs. Something is wrong.

My personal opinion, backed by 100% pure speculation, is that they are trying to get more power out of the engines or are having a hard time hitting one of their goals (be it power or fuel economy) with pre-production units

Whats funny was I basically said this in a and was told to relax...I guess those people like to ignore history. GM doesn't keep secrets about products for long. The Corvette is the only thing they have come close too, but still 90% accurate and details renderings still come out in Auto Magazines since the C4. I believe it was motor trend that had almost every detail right 2 years before the C5 was introduced.

RANT BEGINS:

And IF anyone has been reading the reviews on the new Chevy's there are big red flags besides the missing engines..... there is a collective "WHAT THE....What just happened????!?!?!" over the new Malibu. That should worry everyone, considering how well recieved the last one was. I think it was Motor Trend or Car and Driver that said they are amazed how GM finally climbed out of the lagoon of automotive quality last decade, created world class cars with the Malibu and now, the new Malibu scares them, it looks like they are heading right back.

The new Caprice isn't fairing all that well against the Charger either in the police car comparison's in terms of driving dynamics, which means that built to order RWD sedan they cooked up with Aussie ingredients for the Chevy SS might not be able to stand against the Charger R/T.

Mazda is a TINY manufacturer with a fraction of the resources of GM......Go read the reviews on the new 2013 4-cyl only Mazda 6. 38 MPG without any expensive new technology. Looks great, and is considered hands down the best handling mid size sedan. It's priced a few thousand too high though for the higher trim levels, IMO(they are sticking with the adjusted/old price structure even though they dropped the V6 in higher trims), but especially if they bring that monster diesel here, they have catered to the consumer, while keeping their loyal niche in mind. The Mazda 3.... I don't think any GM compact has ever beat it in any comparison test world wide.

Frankly, it insults me that GM, The great American manufacturer and once world leader in nearly every category, can't do the same, especially better, with more resources, bigger wallet, and the power they have. I'm a Chevy fan and have been for years(I was on here with my first vehicle, a 1990 Chevy truck, and many remember that 69 Camaro I had), but I'll be loyal to the better product over a brand name any day. Blind loyalty is what let GM get away with inferior products in the first place.

Well if I can add to that rant...

GM's latest CEO said the quoted below in the 2011 time frame originally. One view point is that it shows how completely out of touch the decision makers within GM can be.

"General Motor's CEO, Dan Akerson, wants higher gas taxes and the price of a gallon of gas to increase closer to $5 a gallon. Are you kidding me?! The comments were made in an interview with the Detroit News. Regarding government imposed fuel efficiency increases Akerson stated, "You know what I'd rather have them do, this will make my Republican friends puke, as gas is going to go down here now, we ought to just slap a 50-cent or a dollar tax on a gallon of gas. People will start buying more Cruzes and they will start buying less Suburbans."

http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/06/08/akersons-gas-price-comments-prove-hes-wrong-guy-lead-gm

I like the new GM trucks to come & hoping for the best, but even Ed Whitacre (interim CEO '09-10) said the top brass was not thinned out enough. Too many people with big salaries that do nothing.

7 days remaining if specs are going to be released this month.

Do these engines / trucks really exist? :jester:

I keep seeing commercials for other 2014 vehicles on TV.

Waiting...........

The comment about how the press has not warmed to the Malibu is something I cannot figure out. For years the magazines have whined about how big cars are getting and how the US often gets decontented models compared to Japan or Europe. Now here GM offers up a midsize sedan that is indeed slightly smaller than before and they bash it nonstop. I drove one for a week a while back on a work trip and it is an excellent car. And the Mazda 6 I'm pretty sure uses their Skyactiv engine which is similar in concept to an EcoBoost- small displacement and turbocharging with GDI.

As for the Caprice, I've heard it suffers because it is not made in North America. And the Aussie factory can't accommodate custom paint either- so like the Michigan State Police would have to get the cars reprinted if they wanted to use them and that won't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been hoping that GM had a secret new engine they planned to announce with the specs on the current new 3 ecotec lineup. Probably not but it would be cool.

You mean the new Twin Turbo DI 3.6L? Now we just have to see if it ends up in the trucks!

The comment about how the press has not warmed to the Malibu is something I cannot figure out. For years the magazines have whined about how big cars are getting and how the US often gets decontented models compared to Japan or Europe. Now here GM offers up a midsize sedan that is indeed slightly smaller than before and they bash it nonstop. I drove one for a week a while back on a work trip and it is an excellent car. And the Mazda 6 I'm pretty sure uses their Skyactiv engine which is similar in concept to an EcoBoost- small displacement and turbocharging with GDI. As for the Caprice, I've heard it suffers because it is not made in North America. And the Aussie factory can't accommodate custom paint either- so like the Michigan State Police would have to get the cars reprinted if they wanted to use them and that won't happen. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, Skyactiv is nothing like Ecoboost. It's actually engineered. Ford destroked, slapped a turbo on, and called it a day. Skyactiv is a lighter engine with stronger internals and sky high compression(14:1 in the CX-5). It also refers to the entire way they built their cars. Lots of high strength steel , more efficient REAL geared transmissions(they don't use CVT's). Yeah, they built a car like car enthusiast want(well....still waiting on the mazdaspeed model) and STILL get the MPG the other people do without selling out, all the while running on low octane, while many of the EcoBoost need premium to get the advertised power rating. And every model they make expect for the CX-9 can be had with a manual transmission. Their performance editions historically ONLY come with a manual.

And again, Mazda is so tiny they might not be able to stay in the US if they ever saw another sales downturn like the industry saw a few years ago.

It CAN be done. It's ridiculous GM hasn't.

Well if I can add to that rant...

GM's latest CEO said the quoted below in the 2011 time frame originally. One view point is that it shows how completely out of touch the decision makers within GM can be.

"General Motor's CEO, Dan Akerson, wants higher gas taxes and the price of a gallon of gas to increase closer to $5 a gallon. Are you kidding me?! The comments were made in an interview with the Detroit News. Regarding government imposed fuel efficiency increases Akerson stated, "You know what I'd rather have them do, this will make my Republican friends puke, as gas is going to go down here now, we ought to just slap a 50-cent or a dollar tax on a gallon of gas. People will start buying more Cruzes and they will start buying less Suburbans."

http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/06/08/akersons-gas-price-comments-prove-hes-wrong-guy-lead-gm

I like the new GM trucks to come & hoping for the best, but even Ed Whitacre (interim CEO '09-10) said the top brass was not thinned out enough. Too many people with big salaries that do nothing.

oh gosh...

I was picking up a part at my local chev dealer, and I overheard someone come in and ask a salesman for a brochure on an equinox and the salesmans response was "we dont have any brochures, GM is going green. I can show you the information online." the customer was shocked.

oh gosh...

I was picking up a part at my local chev dealer, and I overheard someone come in and ask a salesman for a brochure on an equinox and the salesmans response was "we dont have any brochures, GM is going green. I can show you the information online." the customer was shocked.

Wow...

Nope, Skyactiv is nothing like Ecoboost. It's actually engineered. Ford destroked, slapped a turbo on, and called it a day. Skyactiv is a lighter engine with stronger internals and sky high compression(14:1 in the CX-5). It also refers to the entire way they built their cars. Lots of high strength steel , more efficient REAL geared transmissions(they don't use CVT's). Yeah, they built a car like car enthusiast want(well....still waiting on the mazdaspeed model) and STILL get the MPG the other people do without selling out, all the while running on low octane, while many of the EcoBoost need premium to get the advertised power rating. And every model they make expect for the CX-9 can be had with a manual transmission. Their performance editions historically ONLY come with a manual.

And again, Mazda is so tiny they might not be able to stay in the US if they ever saw another sales downturn like the industry saw a few years ago.

It CAN be done. It's ridiculous GM hasn't.

When I say the Skyactiv motor is similar to EB I didn't mean it had all the supposed issues the EB does- just that it is a smaller than standard engine with forced induction and GDI. No matter because I'd never buy anything from them or any other import brand now anyhow since GM and Ford have begun to make good small cars. I'd turn to them if I ever found myself forced to buy something little. I am with you on CVTs, I'll never consider a vehicle with that- I've had tons of rentals with those and they're horrid.

Just shot one of my friends at GMC an email asking about a time frame for the specs. This is getting weird with how long it's taking. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Update: Just got a note back. I'm told to "stay tuned". That's usually code for "next week". Take it for what you will.

When I say the Skyactiv motor is similar to EB I didn't mean it had all the supposed issues the EB does- just that it is a smaller than standard engine with forced induction and GDI.

Hard to tell if you caught it: Skyactive: It's.not forced induction. So they don't compare.

And cool Mervz. It's getting " curiouser and curiouser" every day

Just shot one of my friends at GMC an email asking about a time frame for the specs. This is getting weird with how long it's taking. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Update: Just got a note back. I'm told to "stay tuned". That's usually code for "next week". Take it for what you will.

Good to hear. Was thinking that it would have been a big deal at the New York auto show, but evidently they had other plans.

Archived