Disable AFM without Tuning

You are not really "chipping" with this device. It is simply plugged into OBD port and it does nothing about changing the ECM software, so nothing is noticeable. If anything is noticable, it is maybe if time the engine is in 4 cyl mode is logged, there will be less time shown. Otherwise nothing. I did mine when the pickup had not even reached 500 miles! Talk about early in the warranty! Didn't even blink and eye at doing it. I have done other engines similarly while still in warranty that are far and away more expensive than the pickup. I have never had an issue with warranty or manufacturers for over 6 years of doing this kind of stuff. I realize, some are skiddish, and that is ok. But it is not as terrible as it might seem.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cliff - thanks for your reply. I have read your previous posts and it really seems like you know your vehicles and devices. Glad to hear you've had success. In the truck you installed the Range device in, have you ever had any problems with oil consumption, and how many miles do you have on the vehicle now? While I am very happy to hear that you've had no problems with the warranty, and I believe what you have to say, I would still like to hear from a handful of other people that have had your success with their vehicles too, please don't take offense to it, I'm just very particular when it comes to my truck, well, SUV! This is my 7th GM vehicle. I had 2 previous Silverados prior to getting a Tahoe. My trucks didn't have the AFM but my Tahoe did (2009). I never had a problem with oil consumption with the Tahoe, although it only had 35K miles on it when I traded it in for the '11 Suburban. I currently don't have any issues with oil consumption now but I want to prevent ever getting there as I've heard plenty of first hand experiences with AFM vehicles that range from Silverados to Suburbans. Plus I want my V8 all the time - that's why I bought a V8! If I wanted to save fuel I would've bought a smaller vehicle. But the fact is that I believe AFM, while its a good theory, is the reason for oil consumption. Never had a problem with V8's without AFM. Plus why would GM replace parts and put on the GM "band-aid" to help satisfy buyers temporarily, only for it to happen to the vehicle later down the road. One guy I work with owns a '08 Burb, had his plugs replaced, deflector installed and rings done at 50K miles, and is now having the same problem at 100K miles, and out of warranty too. If the "band-aid" was a fix, why the problems again...my guess is the AFM.

On a side note, I was debating on GM running a consumption test and replacing what they usually do before I install the Range device, only could help I think. Problem is if it has already affected the cylinders it's there until those are replaced or possibly if I Sea Foam the engine. Any thoughts, other than pi$$ing my neighbors off with the white cloud emitting from my driveway!!! Again, thank you for your reply. It definitely pushes me toward picking up the device and getting it installed ASAP. I'm tired of driving around in M5!

The majority of engines with AFM don't have issues, nor does disabling it guarantee you won't have problems as some folks who disabled AFM still had oil issues. I also doubt you'll get GM to run the consumption test unless you repeatedly complain about oil use, something that may take several visits or a few months.

Mine is too early in the game to have any problems yet. just bumping 1000 miles. So only time will tell about any issues. My initial drive in the Silverado convinced me that I had to find a way to disable the AFM. I could feel it doing it's thing on the first drive. Went home, did a little digging and research on the AFM thing, ordered the Range device and plugged it in the as soon as it showed up at the house. My primary reason was for performance issues, with the internal problems that have occurred with others using AFM being a close second. Sad thing is that with vehicles anymore, you have to waste time and money fixing the nonsense that the OEM seems to think you need and didn't come and ask you about first. My last vehicle was bad enough, I am inventing new swear words with this one. My latest one is having to take the air dam off below the front bumper. Imagine.... a Z71 off road package and that stupid piece of plastic on the front bumper! That thing will look like the victim of a serious farming accident by fall. So, I need to take it off here in the next few days. I guess the boys at GM didn't think that some folks would actually take a Silverado off road!

The Seafoam idea might work. Another option is Amsoil has a pretty darn good engine flush product that will get crud, sludge, and other nasty stuff out of the engine just before you do an oil change. I would look at that one also. If I start having any oil consumption issues, that is what I will probably try first.

So is this thread number 2 or number 3 this week where you explain in generic terms how disappointed you are with your new truck?

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think we all "get it".

Edit:

It's 3 threads ...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/152406-2013-silverado-1500/

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/112660-disable-seat-belt-chime-nanny/

Can't agree with you more on that plastic on the Z71, its the same on the Z71 Tahoe too....looks horrible! If they want the Z71 vehicle look different to stand out from the LS/LT series, why not beef it up a little, after all it is an UPGRADE package...that plastic piece is cheaper than the stock LT body bumper! While I understand that disabling the AFM does not guarantee solving the oil consumption issues, I think its worth a shot. Like I said before, this is my 4th GM V8 vehicle, and I've never had an issue with oil consumption with any of my non-AFM models. Knock on wood I haven't had an issue with oil with my AFM vehilces....YET, and if you've read my previous posts you'd know why....not enough miles/time to tell. But from what I've heard, again, first hand with other AFM models, I don't want to take the chance. I also understand the whole consumption test process and the pain in the a$$ it can be, and the time it takes before GM will even look into replacing/repairing anything.

I'm with you on the #1 reason for disabling the AFM - its about performance, I want the V8 FULL TIME, and no delays in power. I've looked into Amsoil and I've heard great things about it. Problem is its difficult to find a dealer within 150 miles from where I'm at. Farm & Fleet only carry the engine oil, no additives, and that's an hour drive just for that. I'll stick with my Mobile 1 synthetic anyhow. I know I can get my hands on Amsoil over the internet so I may go that route too. I may start with the Sea Foam and go from there.

I've noticed that Adam from Range hasn't been on here for a little while, but it would be nice to see what feedback he may have from other customers with regards to whether they've had warranty/service issues with the dealers after having the AFM device installed for some time.

Not to shift gears here but I'm still waiting, and will continue to wait, for GM to put a DIESEL in a 1/2 ton P/U and their larger SUVs. I know Dodge is looking to put a Cummins in their 1/2 ton. Ford won't now that they have the Ecoboost. If you look at Europe, diesels reign. In Europe, you can get a Ford Ranger with a small diesel, yes, a Ford Ranger....Ford doesn't even make Rangers over here anymore....hmmm, AMERICAN company improving foreign markets first, sounds like our politicians. I understand Europe is far ahead of us when it comes to diesels in their vehicles, and yes, the oil companies and politicians are padding the pockets of American manufacturers to NOT put more diesels in their vehicles, but come on. GM has a concept Suburban with a small diesel engine, think its a 3.8L. Why not put the real 6.6L turbo Duramax with Allison tranny in one...I'd buy one, even with the probable $70K price tag! Worth the price for a vehicle that will last forever. The demand may be low at first, but the way diesels are taking off in cars (VW TDIs for example) if you're the first company to deploy a diesel SUV, I think the demand would greatly increase. The Ford Excursion is a prime example, other than the issues it had at first, it was an awesome vehicle, and this is coming from a GM guy. They hold their value too, as you can't get a new one. I found a used '07 with 85K miles on it, in great shape, and the sticker was $45K!!!! There is hope though. There is a company in Florida named "Duraburb" that specializes in converting GM SUVs from gas to diesel. From what I understand its roughly $4-7K for the labor, but you need to come up with a "donor vehicle" for the conversion. So, you need to supply your paid for SUV (around $45K), give the guy $7K for labor, and spend the cash on a donor vehicle (another $25-30K+). What people are doing is finding a totaled 2500 or 3500 truck, with a good motor and trans (duh) and using that to supply the motor, trans and other components for the conversion. The average amount people are spending is $30 on the donor vehicle. You might be able to break even on the labor if you sell your gas motor, if its worth anything. Mainly people are looking to covert when their gas motors have many many miles on them. You can check them out on YouTube, just type in "Duraburb." If you have the $$$ then its worth it. Pretty awesome! Nice part, its all pretty much stock as if it came off the assembly line, no codes or problems. Only downfall.....no warranty so good luck! OK, off my soap box!

Ram is putting a sluggish V6 diesel in the 1500. Not a Cummins. And it's slow in the Grand Cherokee so you know it'll suck in a heavier truck.

That plastic air dam is there for aerodynamics/gas milage What are you driving over that you will hit it? Ryan

Farm fields / crop rows. Fence lines. Chuck holes in pastures. Muddy waterways. Snow drifts getting to the highway since the county seems to take 2-3 days after a snow storm to clear the road, and when they do, we still get snow blowing back across the road and have to "plow" thru it. Doesn't take a lot to tear the air dam up. My dad tore up his in short order on his 2001 pickup. I don't think he had it 3 weeks at that point. Really looked bad dangling off that bumper. Figured I would just get mine off now as I will have to eventually. Not a lot of need for aerodynamics in a cow pasture.

I have wondered how that diesel in the Dodge 1500 will do. One of the best setups I ever got my hands on was a '06 Jeep Liberty Diesel. Now that was a killer vehicle. It had to have the 545 transmission from behind the 5.7 Hemi to handle the torque. 2.8L of cast iron block, wet sleeved, Bosch common rail injection. 180 hp with 310 lb of torque. Sticker said it would get 27 mpg highway. After we tuned it, the best we pulled off was 35 mpg highway. That was a hill climbing fool. My son owns it now.

So is this thread number 2 or number 3 this week where you explain in generic terms how disappointed you are with your new truck?

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think we all "get it".

Edit:

It's 3 threads ...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/152406-2013-silverado-1500/

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/112660-disable-seat-belt-chime-nanny/

And I get your point that this disappoints you. Too damn bad.

That plastic air dam is there for aerodynamics/gas milage What are you driving over that you will hit it? Ryan

Farm fields / crop rows. Fence lines. Chuck holes in pastures. Muddy waterways. Snow drifts getting to the highway since the county seems to take 2-3 days after a snow storm to clear the road, and when they do, we still get snow blowing back across the road and have to "plow" thru it. Doesn't take a lot to tear the air dam up. My dad tore up his in short order on his 2001 pickup. I don't think he had it 3 weeks at that point. Really looked bad dangling off that bumper. Figured I would just get mine off now as I will have to eventually. Not a lot of need for aerodynamics in a cow pasture.

And removing the air damn takes less time than it likely took you to write that post. GM has to do whatever BS it can to make fuel efficiency numbers. I took the air dam off less than a week after I got the truck and the only reason it took so long as I practically drove to the airport after buying the truck for a work trip.

The ignore function works well. All his posts are gone!

I don't see how to ignore a user, where is it at? Never mind I found it.

Archived