Disable AFM without Tuning

I've got the Range V8 yesterday.

After the first "test run" to the grocery store I can say: it is worth it.

Such a smooth ride.

My truck did not vibrate or shutter badly when switching between V4 and V8. Just a little. So I thought.

But now since it is gone I can feel the (big) difference.

@Range...good one!

so long

j-ten-ner

I had to take my truck in for service the other day so I removed the Range , that brought back all those bad memories of the described problems It didn't take me long to hook it back in after my visit though :D

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you live in more northerly areas, chances are that the increases in fuel mileage that folks are seeing right now is merely the switch from winter blend gas to summer blends. I get a full 2 mpg better in summer than in winter driving the same route and with gas from the same station. Even without any change in mpg, it's still worth it just to get rid of that awful V4 mode!

For what it's worth, I've been conducting a little experiment with my truck. Like I said in a previous post, if I KNEW that disabling AFM would stop the oil burning on my truck I would buy the Range unit immediately. Well, since my last oil change I have been making a concerted effort to run my truck as much as possible in M5 (thus disabling V4 mode) to see if it burns any oil. I am happy to report that after a little over 2,000 miles mostly driven in M5 I have had no noticeable oil burning - still just above the top of the hash marks. My truck was using enough oil in 3,000 miles to go from the well above the top of the hash marks on the dipstick to the bottom of the dipstick. So, that's what, a half quart or more? By this point, with 2,000 miles since the last oil change, my truck would be below the half way mark on the dipstick. Reference my previous post where the service manager that does my oil changes said to just bring it in every 3K so I didn't have to add oil to it. Still shaking my head. Regardless, I have proven to myself that AFM is the sole reason MY truck burns oil and I am going to place my order for the Range unit today. I can't wait to get it. Obviously, not allowing my truck to go into 6th gear is adversely affecting my fuel mileage. For me, the Range unit will probably save me money in oil changes (or buying oil to add) and the ability to use 6th gear and get better MPG.

Neil:

Welcome to the family. Your order should ship today.

We have a number of people who are running our V8 product and reporting lower oil consumption.

Best,

Adam

Many thanks, sir! I can't wait to get it. Thanks also for the group discount. You didn't have to do that and I appreciate it tremendously! I'll post results after I get it installed and put some miles on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had mine for almost 2 months and that is the best money I have spent in a long time. Love It truck drives the way it should have to start with and my mileage has stayed the same. Thanks Adam and Ken for this great product.

Ordered my Range V8 unit on Monday. Got it yesterday. I took a quick drive last night and it works exactly as advertised. No more rattling dashboard and shudder when coasting around a turn and AFM kicks in at 20 mph in my neighborhood. No more lag in response when you hit the gas. It honestly feels like driving a different vehicle after being conditioned to the quirks of AFM for 2 years. The truck feels like a V8 should.

Drove my 45 mile commute this morning and reset my average MPG on the dash when I left the house. Averaged 19.1 this morning in real windy conditions. This is actually better than I have been getting this week without the Range, so I may have gotten a slight uptick in interstate mpgs with the range in. Took a 20 minute drive in the city at lunch, catching numerous red lights and it's only down to 18.2.

I'll have to do a lot more driving with the Range in to see what the real mpg difference is, but I am very impressed with this product. Seeing Made in the USA on the box made it that much better.

I am new to the forum and just purchased a 2013 Silverado 1500 Crew today. I also have been in to commercial trucking for over 30 years. Tuning and tweaking ECM's is something that is a major game regarding semi trucks and engines. I traded in my last semi last August and bought a 2013 Freightliner. Now, we are talking about engines that alone cost as much as most folks' new total cost of their pickup. I had no problem getting into ECM and tweaking some of the EPA settings. Upped my horsepower to 550 and 1850 torque and increased the mpg's by 15%. That being said, I have no problem with ordering up the Range product and plugging it in to my new Silverado's port as soon as it shows up. Not going to lose one minute of sleep in doing so. I would opt for a complete tune if there were a bunch of things I wanted to change, but this device seems to fit right into what I really want at this point in time. And for those of you that complain about cost of such things, a tune on a commercial semi, like the Bully Dog product, reaches into the $3K territory. $200 for the range product is chump change. Sometimes it pays to just step back and take perspective.

Thanks to Adam for getting us the AFM disable device. Man, how I do love the spirit of entrepreneurship in America.

Latest Range V8 update. I towed my boat around 100 miles this weekend so I reset my average mpg on the dash when I left the house yesterday morning. The dash read 20.2 for my 45 mile interstate commute yesterday morning. I ran an errand in town at lunch yesterday, then drove 45 miles back home getting stuck in some traffic along the way. The dash read 18.4 when I got home for the day. Drove back in this morning and the dash is back up to 18.8.

This is right in line with what I was getting prior to installing my Range V8, maybe a hair better. The truck is so much more enjoyable to drive that a slight decrease in mpgs would have been very easy to live with. Glad to see that's not the case though.

I am new to the forum and just purchased a 2013 Silverado 1500 Crew today. I also have been in to commercial trucking for over 30 years. Tuning and tweaking ECM's is something that is a major game regarding semi trucks and engines. I traded in my last semi last August and bought a 2013 Freightliner. Now, we are talking about engines that alone cost as much as most folks' new total cost of their pickup. I had no problem getting into ECM and tweaking some of the EPA settings. Upped my horsepower to 550 and 1850 torque and increased the mpg's by 15%. That being said, I have no problem with ordering up the Range product and plugging it in to my new Silverado's port as soon as it shows up. Not going to lose one minute of sleep in doing so. I would opt for a complete tune if there were a bunch of things I wanted to change, but this device seems to fit right into what I really want at this point in time. And for those of you that complain about cost of such things, a tune on a commercial semi, like the Bully Dog product, reaches into the $3K territory. $200 for the range product is chump change. Sometimes it pays to just step back and take perspective.

Thanks to Adam for getting us the AFM disable device. Man, how I do love the spirit of entrepreneurship in America.

Yep, that's the ticket, Cow! People working for us to help defeat some of this mess they stick us with! Love it - I don't even have a new truck yet, let alone the Range! But, one day, one day!

Archived