Disable AFM without Tuning

Received my Range AFM disable plug Yesterday. Took it for a quick drive today and it works as advertised. I have been driving in M5 to lock out AFM due to the crappy feel and sound when it is active. When I pointed this out to my dealer during a service visit I was told thats normal. So now I can leave it in drive and enjoy all six gears without the low budget 4 cylinder dance. I dont know if this will prevent the oil use problem involving stuck rings but the truck is sure more fun to drive. I considered using a tune but did not want to void the factory warranty. I also belive that the stock tuning is the best bet for long term reliabilty, let the attacks begin. I guess I could better my 1/4 mile times and smoke my tires by getting rid of torque management and agressive tuning But I am happy with my truck as is. Thanks to all the people at Range for producing this application and Adam for his help.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys:

We have sold a TON of AFM disable devices in the past week. Most of them are to Camaro owners. We thought we would spread the love and give you the same discount as them. We'll offer you $15 off on products bought through our site (which isn't yet updated with V8 info) - however you can still order here...

http://www.rangetechnology.com/collections/all

Coupon Code: GM-TRUCKS

Some reviews here...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283175

Thanks,

Adam

The Camaro guys are going crazy. Some still are anti modifications :(

Ryan

I don't blame them. The dealers are getting pretty sophisticated about figuring it out. I've been doing this a long time and I don't think I'd tune my truck within its warranty anymore.

Adam

I don't blame them. The dealers are getting pretty sophisticated about figuring it out. I've been doing this a long time and I don't think I'd tune my truck within its warranty anymore.

Adam

Conflict of interest, perhaps?

It is my understanding that with the range you aren't doing anything different than you do when driving around in M5, which is harmless. I've done just that since the time I test drove my truck, before I even owned it. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also like driving in "M" mode as i don't like the way it shifts in D mode. So one question was when I'm in M6 I assume AFM kicks in but how do I tell? When I'm on the freeway doing 75 and it's showing 2000 RPM, I watch for a slight drop or a lag to indicate that AFM has kicked in. Or do I have to put it back to D?

I don't see an Instantanious Mileage reading in the various displays, only the average mileage. Am I missing it somewhere or does this year model not have it? Hoping it was there so I can see when AFM kicks in.

Thanks to all, your information has been very helpful. I'm now planning some upgrades in various areas, like CAI.

-------------------------------------------------

2012 1500 LTZ 6.2L NHT

It is my understanding that with the range you aren't doing anything different than you do when driving around in M5, which is harmless. I've done just that since the time I test drove my truck, before I even owned it. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also like driving in "M" mode as i don't like the way it shifts in D mode. So one question was when I'm in M6 I assume AFM kicks in but how do I tell? When I'm on the freeway doing 75 and it's showing 2000 RPM, I watch for a slight drop or a lag to indicate that AFM has kicked in. Or do I have to put it back to D?

I don't see an Instantanious Mileage reading in the various displays, only the average mileage. Am I missing it somewhere or does this year model not have it? Hoping it was there so I can see when AFM kicks in.

Thanks to all, your information has been very helpful. I'm now planning some upgrades in various areas, like CAI.

-------------------------------------------------

2012 1500 LTZ 6.2L NHT

If your truck is the one that's in your signature then you don't have AFM.

Damn,can you give me a $15 dollar rebate,I bought mine a week too soon,remember it was I that first suggested you make the V8 module on here.LOL ,by the way thanks for making this great device,I absolutly love mine.Travis Haley.

Conflict of interest, perhaps?

The manufacturer's are making the ECMs so all changes (events) done on the ECM are recordable. No conflict of interest on that. They may not be able to tell what you did-but they will know it's been changed.

I guess a few tuners claim that theirs don't leave this info.

The manufacturer's are making the ECMs so all changes (events) done on the ECM are recordable. No conflict of interest on that. They may not be able to tell what you did-but they will know it's been changed.

I guess a few tuners claim that theirs don't leave this info.

If you re-flash the ECU, it leaves a mark - regardless of what the tuning companies say. I used to run Superchips and Edge Products. It leaves a trace.

Our device "speaks" to the ECU but does not override the calibration. There is no footprint left when the device is unplugged.

Adam

Damn,can you give me a $15 dollar rebate,I bought mine a week too soon,remember it was I that first suggested you make the V8 module on here.LOL ,by the way thanks for making this great device,I absolutly love mine.Travis Haley.

Travis - I refunded you $15. Enjoy!

Adam

Archived