Disable AFM without Tuning

I have the 2014 sierra. Put my Range in after 100 miles and after about a week I started getting warning codes on start up. 'service stabilitrak' and 'service brake assist'. I cannot be certain this is related to the Range, but it doesn't look good. Especially because my 2007 Chevy got those warning codes which is why I bought the Range. It is in the dealer right now and they are reading the codes to see what is wrong. I will reply back if I have further info but I fear the Range has put a bug in the brand new engine.

Do you have an update for us?? I'd really like to hear if the Range was the culprit as I'm looking to get this for our 2013 Suburban. It was more enjoyable to drive my 2001 Yukon XL with 180K on the clock(that I recently sold) than it is to drive the 2013, due to the AFM kicking on and off.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have an update for us?? I'd really like to hear if the Range was the culprit as I'm looking to get this for our 2013 Suburban. It was more enjoyable to drive my 2001 Yukon XL with 180K on the clock(that I recently sold) than it is to drive the 2013, due to the AFM kicking on and off.

yes they said the error codes were due to the braking system, or possibly the hill assist system which caused the stabilitrack light to also come on. Sounds like the Range was not the culprit. I am going to drive 500 miles or so without the Range to make sure the warning lights don't come on, and to see my gas mileage. Then I will pop in the Range to see how it compares of if it causes error codes.

Remember I have the brand new 2014 with the new generation AFM so I am hoping GM made drastic improvements and I don't have to worry about burning oil or cylinders misfiring as in my 2007 Chevy. I may not choose to use the Range at all depending on reliability.

• 1 month later...

No it doesn't work. Go onto http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/range-active-fuel-management-disable-device and you can get a discount there. A percentage discount will pop up in the pricing block, but if you do the chat box with one of the sales reps, you can usually negotiate a better price. Many have gotten at least 10% off at a minimum.

No it doesn't work. Go onto http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/range-active-fuel-management-disable-device and you can get a discount there. A percentage discount will pop up in the pricing block, but if you do the chat box with one of the sales reps, you can usually negotiate a better price. Many have gotten at least 10% off at a minimum.

Thanks cowpie I got one for 180.00 and free shipping you're a star!

I am wondering same thing. I asked the rep at AutoAnything and he said it wasn't yet approved for use with 2014. Is the from Range or from auto anything...not sure. I am sure I want to disable the AFM on my 6.2 liter Sierra

The Range website says that 2014 Chevy/GMC's will work with AFM disabler. There is a place to plug in vehicle vin but when I did that it showed a 5.3 ltr not my 6.2...Calling Range tomorrow. Will report back

so, there are quite a few triggers that cause the signal to be sent to the lifter solenoid, engine temp, tranny temp, tps, oil pressure, vehicle speed, and some calculation of inputs that determines load based on tps something else to determine load. i wonder if the range module is sending voltage signals to the ecm telling it there is more or less than 13% (i think thats the trigger) load?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all, new member here. After reading all the positive reviews concerning the Range AFM disabler, I went ahead and bought one for my 2009 GMC Sierra. To say I'm impressed is an understatement. Not only does my truck drive and shift better but I also gained 1.5 miles per gallon around town. I'm still trying to figure out why that is. Has anyone else noticed a gain in mpg, too? This is a great forum, Thanks in advance for any comments.

Esox07, being you have a newer truck and the 6 speed, no doubt, it's probably the reason your truck hasn't seen an increase in mpg. Just a guess on my part. I have a 4 speed and a 3.73 gears and thought I had tranny issues because it was shifting all the time but now I realize it was AFM, instead. Tomorrow, we're going up to check on our camp so the 2hr run north will be a good test of the Range AFM disabler because I used to get 16mpg going to camp. But, now that I'm getting 14.5 around town, compared to 13mpg, I'm hoping for a much better mpg for the trip. I'll let you know...have a good one.

Archived