Disable AFM without Tuning

Mind sharing what your before and after mileage is?

The "Lie-O-Meter" on my dash tells me 14.3 and quivers to 14.4 on occasion.

I filled up yesterday and put pencil to paper and came up with 14.37 mpg

That is combined ...

70% rural hiways with a few hills - 20% urban Interstate - 10% congested traffic - Range installed at 1000 miles - 1400 miles total

I thought I would back that figure with another tank load of fuel and then pull the Range and run a tank through it just to satisfy my curiosity.

My back-up data is better ... "

Lie-O-Meter has ratcheted up to 14.5 average since Range was first installed.

Most recent tank(s) yielded 14.90 mpg calculated.

I unplugged the Range after fill-up and will report back.

I've done as much as I can to eliminate variables. I'm the only one driving it, no hauling, same station and even the same pump (to eliminate mixing valve variations ... subtle, I know, but I'm OCD on some things), take the same route to work ...

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally got over my warranty fears and picked one up today. I've done more research on other sites and forums, looks like everyone's results are the same as on here...no issues! I think I'm going to wait to install it until after Chevy runs a consumption test and looks into "fixing" the issues with the AFM....shield, plugs and so on. I may plug it in on our 2 road trips pulling the boat, 1 being to canada, then removing it for the consumption testing. I'll report back my results and my mpg before and after the Range, as well as Chevy's BS process they'll run me through with the testing/replacement. Thanks for everyone's feedback on this, greatly appreciated.

Does range ship to Canada? I had my pistons, piston rings, pretty much upper motor replaced due to the famous ticking and oil use at 40k. GM puy some updated piston and rings, etc in. I think i would like to purchase the range. Where is the website, so i can get in touch with them.

Just completed two identical trips to Nashville and back in the '13 Sierra.

6/23 - AFM/DOD operational - app.74mph = 18.1 mpg.

6/30 - Range AFM Eliminator installed - app. 74 mph - 18.3mpg.

Much better drive with Range.

Does range ship to Canada? I had my pistons, piston rings, pretty much upper motor replaced due to the famous ticking and oil use at 40k. GM puy some updated piston and rings, etc in. I think i would like to purchase the range. Where is the website, so i can get in touch with them.

http://www.rangetechnology.com/?gclid=CKONpce_jrgCFS9eQgod_noAEg

And yes they ship to Canada. Got mine within a week.

so long

j-ten-ner

• 1 month later...

I have a 2010 Sierra All-Terrain with 54,000 miles. It's been in the shop twice in the last 3 months due to a fouled plug in the #1 cylinder. The first time, the service department found the bulletin regarded the PCV issue in the driver side valve cover. Replaced that (under warranty) and everything ran fine for a couple of months. Got up to go to work one morning and the truck ran like it was missing on multiple cylinders. Took it back to the shop...guess what, fouled plug in #1 cylinder. After further inspection they found another service bulletin regarded fouled plugs in deactivated cylinders under AFM combined with excessive oil consumption. Checked the oil and it was ~2 quarts low with no low oil light. It's getting the motor rebuilt right now (under warranty).

I ordered a Range module to elimnate the AFM yesterday...will let you know how it goes.

Sure hope it helps, Mark. Going thru this nonsense and having to find solutions to problems that are caused by terrible designs is an aggravating experience. Kinda reminds me of when someone is wrong, knows he's wrong, and yet will still not admit failure. This seems to be the mindset of GM. Until a proven, viable solution is available, GM should just program the ECM to not go into AFM mode if a customer so desires. Simple effective solution. But then, that is why they probably don't offer to do it that way.... it is simple.

Cowpie,

Any idea if these repairs being done the past few years to try slow / stop oil consumption on the '07s to '11s; ie new valve covers and other internal fixes? Have any such fixes been incorporated into the newest trucks right on the assembly line? Or will I someday need a dealer to change my D's side valve cover too on my '13?

Me too Cowpie. It's funny how about the time the Government got involved with GM, they figured out a way to screw up the best thing GM made...the small block V-8.

Me too Cowpie. It's funny how about the time the Government got involved with GM, they figured out a way to screw up the best thing GM made...the small block V-8.

AFM was around before the bailout. Like 2005/6.

My 2006 had no such thing on it...

It first appeared in V8 W-body cars like the Grand Prix GXP and Impala SS from 2005-07/08. I forget the exact year range now. AFM was new to the trucks with the 900-series but it had been around for several years by then.

Archived