Disable AFM without Tuning

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice

I'm sure adam @ Range appreciates your insight.

I didn't start the personal attacks. But I am not going to play rollover. I took a couple of these digs thrown at me, now I am comfortable firing back. Just wear your cup.

Ok, I have to ask, is there a difference between AFM in the Silverado versus AFM in the Tahoe/Suburban ? There are two Suburbans and one Tahoe in the family with none of the AFM horror stories I read about here. Most of my miles are in an '09 Burb LT 4x4 - 5.3/6L80E/3.42. There are no funny vibes, clunks, noises, exhaust notes, oil burning, etc, in any of the three however.

What gives?

I just wonder if disabling AFM would yield anything for me.

I didn't start the personal attacks. But I am not going to play rollover. I took a couple of these digs thrown at me, now I am comfortable firing back. Just wear your cup.

As Ryan said back on topic and stop your little war, both of you!

The Ban Hammer might start swinging.

tmcbanhammer.gif

:)

Ok, I have to ask, is there a difference between AFM in the Silverado versus AFM in the Tahoe/Suburban ? There are two Suburbans and one Tahoe in the family with none of the AFM horror stories I read about here. Most of my miles are in an '09 Burb LT 4x4 - 5.3/6L80E/3.42. There are no funny vibes, clunks, noises, exhaust notes, oil burning, etc, in any of the three however.

What gives?

I just wonder if disabling AFM would yield anything for me.

It is questionable if disabling the AFM prevents anything or not. My primary motivation was when I first drove the pickup. I noticed, and could feel it, doing it's 4 cylinder / 8 cylinder thing. My perception was... this has got to go. Only after that, did I start reading of engine problems, oil consumption, and other issues that many blame on the AFM. I have no solid evidence this is the case. I just wanted 8 cylinders working all the time. I paid for that, and I didn't want GM deciding what I needed. So, I ordered the Range module and solved the problem I was looking to solve. Whether others feel the need to do similarly, only they can decide that one. What really chapped my hide was the thought I had to pay for someone in R&D at GM to come up with this, then I have to pay to disable it. If only it were an option that I could have chosen to do without, that would have been a different thing.

I had a similar experience with my 2013 Freightliner glider. The 2000 year Series 60 Detroit (factory rebuilt) we put in it, had EPA '98 settings in the ECM software. I had to go in and change some of the coding to get that junk out of there. So basically the same thing as with the Silverado... having to correct something that someone else thought I needed and I had to pay for. But, the ECM changes I made to the Freightliner netted roughly a $6,000.00 a year in fuel savings. So it was worth it.

What's with all the hostility, geez! This is a forum, people talk about and air out a topic. If you don't like a post, don't read it. I never got the impression that Cowpie didn't like his vehicle, he's just voicing a concern and a solution to the minor problem. He's had a lot of helpful and informative replies to this post. Not going to beat a dead horse, that's all I have on that issue.

As far as the Silverado/Burb/Tahoe AFMs, I don't think there is a difference, but I'm not an expert. All three vehicles' 5.3L engines are the same, from what I gather, so the AFM should be the same or act the same...correct me if I'm wrong! I never noticed any issues with my '09 Tahoe, but again, I don't think I had it long enough to notice. For my Burb, this is preventative maintenance....get the issue resolved before it becomes a real issue. Again, that is secondary to me wanting a V8 full time, performance aspect. When it comes to the AFM, there has been hundreds of posts regarding the oil consumption. And, I've had a number of people I know have this problem with Silverados and Burbs. Its no coincidence that many 5.3L AFM owners are having consumption issues over time. Otherwise we wouldn't be talking about this topic on this site alone. I appreciate everyone's responses, other than the ding dongs that poke about "people not liking their vehicles." I would appreciate any other remarks on this topic, especially from those who have had the Range device installed for a period of time. I didn't add to this post to start a GM owners civil war, so those who wish to poke at what someone has to say, go find another forum!

I have had my Range V8 module since the beginning of April. The main reason I bought it was to keep my truck in V8 mode all the time. Some say they cannot feel the in and out of the V4/V8 but I could and the Range took care of the problem without having to buy a tune. I am very pleased no more V4 hesitation going back to V8. Gas mileage for me has stayed the same no loss no gain.

I have had my Range V8 module since the beginning of April. The main reason I bought it was to keep my truck in V8 mode all the time. Some say they cannot feel the in and out of the V4/V8 but I could and the Range took care of the problem without having to buy a tune. I am very pleased no more V4 hesitation going back to V8. Gas mileage for me has stayed the same no loss no gain.

Mind sharing what your before and after mileage is?

The "Lie-O-Meter" on my dash tells me 14.3 and quivers to 14.4 on occasion.

I filled up yesterday and put pencil to paper and came up with 14.37 mpg

That is combined ...

70% rural hiways with a few hills - 20% urban Interstate - 10% congested traffic - Range installed at 1000 miles - 1400 miles total

I thought I would back that figure with another tank load of fuel and then pull the Range and run a tank through it just to satisfy my curiosity.

Mileage has been 15.0-15.2 by the pencil, truck shows usually 15.8 mpg . I hand check each time I fill up. My driving is mostly rural country roads say 95 to 5 percent city. Have not been on the interstate more than 20 miles at a time to check mileage since I purchased the Range. These numbers are running the same before and after.

That's in line with my mpg so far, and I run primarily like you stated. I don't have any before the Range mod figures. Was wondering what, if any, difference some were experiencing. I sure hope I can get it to do a little better. My '98 3/4 ton with 4.11 rears and a 454 V8 got 16-17 mpg all the time. Seems rather sad that pickups, in general, don't do much better on mpg 14 years later. My semi averages high 7's to low 8's on fuel mileage. Just seems wierd how truck and freight, weighing the equivalent of almost 10 Silverados, I can get mpg that is only half of what one pickup gets. I realize we are talking about a diesel vs gas here, but you would think those engineers could have gotten small block V8's into solid mid 20's for mpg by now. The 351 modified with a 4 speed manual I had in a '79 full sized Bronco even beat what my 2013 Siverado is getting now by a couple mpg.

Well, maybe just because it is not broke in yet..... Keep Hope Alive!

That's in line with my mpg so far, and I run primarily like you stated. I don't have any before the Range mod figures. Was wondering what, if any, difference some were experiencing. I sure hope I can get it to do a little better. My '98 3/4 ton with 4.11 rears and a 454 V8 got 16-17 mpg all the time.

I don't think there has been anybody reporting SIGNIFICANT increases or decreases as far as mpg is concerned with the Range product. That is some mpg on your '98 Burb for a vehicle that weights over 2 tons with a very large V8.

I've now put over 3000 miles on my Silverado with the Range unit installed. My oil burning issue has stopped. I was burning at least a quart every 3K miles and now I've got over 2K since the last oil change with no perceptible movement on the dipstick. Add the that the fact that my truck now drives so much better and I am a VERY satisfied customer. If anybody is on the fence about buying the Range module, please do yourself a favor and just buy it.

Neil, how many miles did you have on your truck when you installed the Range unit? I installed the Range at 75K miles and needed an oil change at that time. I have justr over 76K miles now, and the level on the dipstick hasn't moved in just over 1000 miles. I hope this continues. I seemed to use some oil on the 2nd half of the oil change interval before I plugged the Range in, so time will tell.

Archived