Cell Phone Dash mount

I am wondering if there are any effective cell phone dash mounts out there. I'd love it if anyone shared their ideas or what they've done.

Most of the dash kits that I see are rickety at best. The windshield suction cup ones are loose and wobbly, and the vent kits are cheep.

In my old Tacoma I actually canibalized parts from two different dash mount kits that I'd bought at Fry's and jimmy rigged a mount that went where the passenger air bag switch went on the dash. It was a good spot for visibility and I was able to tuck away the charger and audio cables inside my dash. (I'm a huge fan of reducing cable clutter)

On my '07 Sierra's dash there are the two small cubby holes on each side that have next to no real function for me. I am considering cutting them out and jimmy rigging a mount on each side, one for my wife's phone by the passenger seat and one for my android (navigation, music, etc) on the left near the driver seat. It looks like it would take a bit more modding and tweaking around with parts and scews, and it would be a permanent change to the dash, so I am hesitant until I do a little more research.

I'll look around more for sure, but I thought I'd also put it out there on the forum to see if anyone had anything to share.

Thanks!

Check out rokform.com. I'm not sure which phone(s) you're using, but they make great stuff. I have the V3 case for my iPhone4S w/magnet kit. So it's awesome that it sticks great to anything steel. But I stuck a "v3 Lil'Rok" magnet to my dash, which is smaller than a quarter. It's great because it takes up no space, can mount your phone horizontal or vertical, and stick it anywhere with the strong 3M adhesive back. I can pretty much toss my phone towards it and the magnets sync up a stick. It's well worth the money!

post-112858-136211150147_thumb.jpg

Here's the phone with magnets stuck together showing that you can just stick it at any angle.

post-112858-136211162031_thumb.jpg

I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Fonus-Universal-Exhilarate-Transform-Brightside/dp/B008N2U9WQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1362293030&sr=8-12&keywords=cigarette+lighter+phone+mount

It seems pretty rickety and the phone will move around a little while driving on the road but I don't use it while I'm driving so it's a non-issue. I have it to where my phone is just below my radio and I can still use all of the A/C controls.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input.

The problem with phone specific mounts is that I use an otterbox case - and most of the universals aren't any more special than the three cannibalized ones that I have. I guess I'm just a very picky customer in this incident.

I ended up using one of my universals, originally a windshield suction-cup mount. I disconnected the suction cup part. I took the dash apart and drilled a small hole in the back of the left-hand cubby hole and mounted the adjustable arm there. The cubby hole serves as storage for charger and aux-audio cable coil slack. It looks a little funny, but it gets the job done. My ipod touch or droid phone (for navigation) sits just below the vent, next to the steering wheel, easy access with out taking my eyes off of the road for more than a moment at a time.

When I get time I'm going to buy a bracket, bend it to my angle of preference, paint it black to match the dash and mount it to the cubby hole in an XM-radio style set up.

Archived