Replacement batteries for 2004 GMC Sierra Hybrid?...

BretD04GMC

Question

I've got a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid. I'm getting an intermittent diagnostic code of P0A7F (Hybrid Battery Pack Life).

Took it to my local dealer to have them check the system out. Test of the hybrid batteries shows they are currently OK, but the tech advised they are probably reaching the end of their life span. Dealer's recommendation was to continue driving the truck and keep an eye on it.

Should they need to replace the hybrid batteries (3 total), repair estimate would be $1,405.00. They stated there's a 2 hour diagnostic procedure that GM requires before replacement batteries can even be ordered.

I've found online GM parts suppliers that list the batteries at an MSRP of $206 each, but offering online pricing as low as $150 each. One inquiry I submitted to confirm the pricing came back with a response of "We can't supply these batteries".

I'm wondering if it's possible for a DIY consumer to purchase the batteries and replace them myself – for much less than $1400? Or does GM have a lockdown on them?

My concern with continuing to drive the truck right now is that – IF one or more of the hyrbid batteries does indeed die – I WILL be stranded somewhere with a truck that won't run. Shortly after buying my truck back in 2005, one hybrid battery did go bad and the truck wouldn't start. GM replaced that battery for FREE, but I am now outside of the 8 yr./100,000 mile hybrid component warranty.

Thanks!

Edited by BretD04GMC

https://4xspower.com/product/d1400/

GM uses three 14V 2400A sealed AGM batteries - the exact ones in the above link for less than $400 each; so less than $1200 total.

Just disconnect and toss the old ones in your local pond next to your GM Chevy dealer 😮 and plug in the new ones. Done.