Replacement batteries for 2004 GMC Sierra Hybrid?...

BretD04GMC

Question

I've got a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid. I'm getting an intermittent diagnostic code of P0A7F (Hybrid Battery Pack Life).

Took it to my local dealer to have them check the system out. Test of the hybrid batteries shows they are currently OK, but the tech advised they are probably reaching the end of their life span. Dealer's recommendation was to continue driving the truck and keep an eye on it.

Should they need to replace the hybrid batteries (3 total), repair estimate would be $1,405.00. They stated there's a 2 hour diagnostic procedure that GM requires before replacement batteries can even be ordered.

I've found online GM parts suppliers that list the batteries at an MSRP of $206 each, but offering online pricing as low as $150 each. One inquiry I submitted to confirm the pricing came back with a response of "We can't supply these batteries".

I'm wondering if it's possible for a DIY consumer to purchase the batteries and replace them myself – for much less than $1400? Or does GM have a lockdown on them?

My concern with continuing to drive the truck right now is that – IF one or more of the hyrbid batteries does indeed die – I WILL be stranded somewhere with a truck that won't run. Shortly after buying my truck back in 2005, one hybrid battery did go bad and the truck wouldn't start. GM replaced that battery for FREE, but I am now outside of the 8 yr./100,000 mile hybrid component warranty.

Thanks!

Edited by BretD04GMC

Didn't know they had a hybrid in '04 .....

Knowing GM, I can bet they made the swap extremely difficult, if not impossible, for a DIY replacement. That's IF you can even get the right batteries for it. Probably have better luck hunting down a wrecked one in a salvage yard somewhere & taking your chances. Or find out who makes the batteries and try to buy them that way (yeah, good luck). Or engineer your own system - that would be my choice.

I like how they engineered in a no-start condition upon battery failure ... :banghead:

My grandfather is turning in his grave right now at what the auto industry has become. What a damn shame ...

I wonder if someone has a set of 2004 service manuals does it cover the hybrid and battery replacement procedure? Or was is a separate manual or no printed manual at all?

Edited by waumo1

Yes, GM introduced the hybrid trucks in the 2004 to 2007 GMT 800 model run – although, technically, they weren't true hybrids. There's no electric drive to the wheels. Just engine auto-stop to eliminate sitting at idle when stopped, and the onboard generator feature with 120v GFI outlets in the cab and bed.

Rather than a traditional starter motor for the engine, instead there's an electric motor coupled between the engine and transmission. This electric motor does a couple things:

1) Starts the engine, getting it's power from the hybrid battery pack.

2) Recoups energy while braking to charge the hybrid battery pack.

So, if the hybrid battery pack fails, there's no juice for the electric motor to turn the engine over. :nonod:

There is also a conventional battery under the hood, but this runs the lights and accessories. If that battery goes bad, the truck still won't start, but at least you can usually jump start it. Switching on the defroster or turning on tow/haul mode will disable the auto-stop function, so the truck is at least driveable.

Edited by BretD04GMC

I wonder if someone has a set of 2004 service manuals does it cover the hybrid and battery replacement procedure? Or was is a separate manual or no printed manual at all?

I've got the full set of GM service manuals and the hybrid system is covered. I haven't gone thru all of the battery info. but from what I have read so far, it doesn't sound complicated. Basically, disconnect the batteries using the disconnect switch, remove and replace, turn the switch back to the connect position.

It does say though, that the hybrid batteries are not at full charge when shipped and need to be completely charged before installing them. I'm not sure if there's a special charger required for this.

Edited by BretD04GMC

Ahhh now I remember. Was thinking of a true hybrid - now I remember hearing about the auto-restart setup. Completely forgot about it. Now it makes sense.

Yeah, if they're lithium type batteries you'll DEFINITELY need a special charger. Once they go below a certain voltage, they're junk - new or not. That goes for lithium ion AND lithium iron phosphate. If you overcharge the ion battery, you will witness an EPIC fireworks display .... and will be filing an insurance claim soon after.

If they're AGM, you will need to watch the voltage so that it doesn't go much above 14 .. but they're much more forgiving than lithium. And MUCH cheaper.

Did some reading in the manual tonight. The hybrid batteries are Panasonic HV1255 Valve Regulated Lead Acid.

Reading the test procedures for the P0A7F code, it says that if the batteries test good, then proceed to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections. I don't know that the tech did that.

The paperwork from the dealership just says – "possible battery pack".

Some online searching came across this:
http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/4kzr5-chevrolet-silverado-1500-classic-hybrid-2005-chevy.html

Sounds like this is a dealer only repair.

Edited by BretD04GMC

I figured GM would require the $2,000+ scan tool ... that's how they roll. Anything to get into your wallet .... even 9 model years later ... :rolleyes:

You might be able to find someone in your area that has one. Throw an ad on Craigslist, or call a few small garages in your area. If it's going to require a tow anyway, might as well install the batteries yourself & save a bit of labor. No ethical mechanic can charge more than an hour's labor for plugging in a magic box, I would hope ....

With the economy the way it is you might have some luck avoiding the tow altogether and finding someone willing to travel.

I figured GM would require the $2,000+ scan tool ... that's how they roll. Anything to get into your wallet .... even 9 model years later ... :rolleyes:

You might be able to find someone in your area that has one. Throw an ad on Craigslist, or call a few small garages in your area. If it's going to require a tow anyway, might as well install the batteries yourself & save a bit of labor. No ethical mechanic can charge more than an hour's labor for plugging in a magic box, I would hope ....

With the economy the way it is you might have some luck avoiding the tow altogether and finding someone willing to travel.

You act like GM is the only one who does this. Hybrid systems are massively complex and a battery changeout on a Toyota, Honda or anyone else will be just as involved.

It's not hybrids I'm concerned with - I'll never own one. It's the requirement of an expensive tool to do a simple job .... like replacing a Crank Position Sensor .. or cleaning a DPF. There is no need for that when the vehicle costs well into 5 figurest to start with.

If GM wants to survive, they would do good to have people seeing MORE of them on the road in running condition. When people see a 10, 20, or 30 year old car/truck on the road, they notice. It's good advertisement for the brand. But I'm not the CEO of GM ... to each his own. When they go out of business and everyone is out of a job, it'll be too late ... or maybe we'll just get a second bailout ....

Rant over. Carry on.

Again, you act like GM is the only one to make certain repairs difficult when I can speak with first hand experience that they ALL do that. And I can't blame them- if they're responsible for warranty coverage for years and tens of thousands of miles, then it is well within their rights to protect their products from incompetent hands. As for your second point, I agree that seeing a (insert model here) with a pile of miles goes a long way toward the image of quality/durability. That said, I know several people with GM vehicles with over 200k on them. Can't say the same for Fords and absolutely not Dodge. And I definitely see more old GM trucks on the road than anything else, both here in Michigan where domestics are heavily favored for obvious reasons and back east. As for the health of GM, they aren't going anywhere. Even with one of the oldest platforms in the segment, GM sold more half ton and 3/4 ton pickups than anyone else. The biggest hurdle for GM is the media- most of them hate GM and will jump at the slightest chance to slander the company even though most of their models compete with, if not surpass the media's beloved Toyota and Honda.

I'm well aware of the "other" brands pulling the same crap - one if the main reasons I'll never buy a Nissan.

If I'm paying mid 5 figures for a vehicle, I want the option to repair it myself, since I am willing and able to do so. If they make it difficult for me, then I will spend my money elsewhere. If ALL brands do this, then I won't buy ANY of them.

People (media, etc.) rip on GM because they deserve it for taking our tax dollars. Should've let them go bankrupt and start over - we'd have been much better off, and would've ended up with a better company.

Been a GM guy all my life, but I have to say, Ford cars AND trucks are looking much better than anything in GM's lineup these days. - my opinion of course ... but even the little Festiva is a nice to look at. Ford has got style down this year. Neighbor and a close friend both have Ecoboost F-150's. Time will tell of their reliability, but it makes my Silverado feel like a pile of **** .... and I have a $300 set of Bilsteins.... and that little V6 stomps my 5.3, even with the mods.

Other neighbor bought a little Escape - I laughed at first, but the thing is as reliable as a stone ax and has some ponies under the hood. My Silverado has been nothing but trouble in the past 6 years from day one.

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1

Ford took govt money too and unlike GM, is not paying the feds back (they weren't required to, but still...).

And I've lost some serious faith in Ford- their models do look good (the Fusion is probably the best looking mainstream sedan on the market) but there have been lots of recalls surrounding the engines and their new infotainment system is horrible to use, just like almost every review mentions.

As for the comparison between your truck and an EB F150- the Ford probably weighs 1000 pounds more than your truck which does help the ride, the F150 is truly solidly built but I've never been able to get comfy in one, the seats are always too firm. And I'd expect/hope the EB could pull away from a 5.3 considering it makes nearly 100 lb-ft more than a stock 5.3. The F150 seems like a decent truck, but it only just became one- I would never go near one prior to 2011 with the old 4.6/5.4 motors- no power and the whole issue with plugs causing problems in the cylinder heads. That and Ford trucks are horrible to work on.

out of curiosity, do you actually see any better MPG with that hybrid? or less fuel consumption?

Minimal increase in MPG. Nothing significant. It's essentially a regular full size truck with an autostart/stop function and the generator ability. I wasn't expecting any huge MPG gains when I bought the truck. What appealed to me was the generator capability.

Also, it was well equipped with only 6,000k on it. Initially it was a GM fleet vehicle and my local dealership bought it at auction after GM was done with it. So, it was basically an "almost new" truck and I got it for around $10k less than what it would have cost were it brand new.

All in all, it's been a really reliable truck and I've been really happy with it.