Gas smell and P0442 code

Domano 68

Question

After filling up my 99 Suburban, 5.7L, I noticed a smell of raw gas near the rear of the vehicle and inside while driving. Drove it today and the smell has gone. I did get a P0442 code today, Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak). I purchased a new gas cap so we'll see if this will keep the code from coming back (I had the CEL turned off when I read the code). Not sure what is causing the smell but I did buy a new gas cap after reading and turning off the CEL.

If the gas cap does not fix the P0442 code from coming back, I will replace the rubber hose on the evap canister in the engine bay.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps03e5f504.jpg

The only hose that is rubber on the Evap canister can be seen in the above picture. All of the other lines coming off the canister appear to be metal. So, if the gas cap doesn't fix the leak, I will replace this hose. BUT, are there other rubber hoses that need to be checked and where are they located?

Also, I noticed on the Evap Vent Valve, something appears to be missing. See pic below.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps4e590923.jpg

Anyone know what is missing here?

13 answers to this question

Govtech usually knows what he is talking about no matter the vagueness, If you are going to.just throw.money at a truck like say, $200, why not just initially use that money to get it diagnosed by a shop?

Yes, he does seem to know automotive technology very well. No questions there. That was never a question nor does it matter here.

Just because I am not spending money at a dealership or mechanic does not justify someone to be negative and short in response. These forums are meant to be of help to our fellow Chevy and GMC enthusiasts-not be obtuse, short and irrelevant. If you are going to chime in, say something worthwile. Everyone is not going to do it your way, so get over it!

Canister vent solenoid.

CVS13_PRIMARY_zps44caa05e.jpg

Vapor canister.

215-180_zps47215bac.jpg

Start throwing parts at it. Each part is $100 up.

You're wasting time trying to find a "lid or a filter" to fix your problem. The lack of a lid or filter will not cause the code to be thrown. That's what you were told. You should be able to track parts down and look at them either online or at a local parts store instead of waiting for someone else to give you the answer

BTW, these parts might not solve your problem either....... there are a couple of other parts that could cause the code

a filter doesnt cause a small leak but do what ya want,,good luck

It might if the cap to the filter location is missing. That is why I am asking for pictures. Short, vauge answers do not help here or in any situation.

Govtech usually knows what he is talking about no matter the vagueness, If you are going to.just throw.money at a truck like say, $200, why not just initially use that money to get it diagnosed by a shop?

The open area on the back of the evap valve; see this picture with the arrow pointing at the area that is open.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps4e590923.jpg

Got the P0442 code on the way home. I guess the original gas cap was good and the leak is somewhere else. I will replace the J-hose that goes from the canister to the evap valve (evap valve is mounted on the side of the canister). If this doesn't do the trick, I am out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions? TIA!!!

cant ya just get the cap tested at a parts store or sumfin ? ,instead of GUESSING !!!!!

just saying,,,nothing is missing ,all i see is evap crap and the test port

Not sure if I can test the cap but will try and find out.

So the big open area there is a test port? Cool, thanks!

Archived