08 1500 Second Battery

I installed the Painless setup as well on my 2010 1500. In cold weather this truck would NOT hold a charge more than 2 days before requiring a boost. Anyways, you CAN tell if the main battery is down, because the factory remote start will not fire the truck...but if you jump in with the key (lights are all dim....same ol same ol dead battery syndrome) she fired right up.

This is my second GM 1/2 ton that has had these issues...first was an 06. I spent a lot of time with the local GM techs, as well as the stereo shop/command start techs diagnosing the battery drain. Contrary to standard GM tech response, "it's your stereo...it's your command start"...it is/was the GM modules that time out differently and just the nature of the power-hungry components that will draw it down. My 06 took 3 days at below freezing temps. The 2010 has factory stereo and factory remote start.....under 2 days at below freezing and the main battery is DEAD. There's gonna be a Mopar in the driveway next if this doesn't get any better.

I installed the Painless setup as well on my 2010 1500. In cold weather this truck would NOT hold a charge more than 2 days before requiring a boost. Anyways, you CAN tell if the main battery is down, because the factory remote start will not fire the truck...but if you jump in with the key (lights are all dim....same ol same ol dead battery syndrome) she fired right up.

This is my second GM 1/2 ton that has had these issues...first was an 06. I spent a lot of time with the local GM techs, as well as the stereo shop/command start techs diagnosing the battery drain. Contrary to standard GM tech response, "it's your stereo...it's your command start"...it is/was the GM modules that time out differently and just the nature of the power-hungry components that will draw it down. My 06 took 3 days at below freezing temps. The 2010 has factory stereo and factory remote start.....under 2 days at below freezing and the main battery is DEAD. There's gonna be a Mopar in the driveway next if this doesn't get any better.

Wow! The batt should last longer than 2 days no matter how cold it gets. I know some of the factory ACDelcos can be bad out of the box. My father had one in his Escalade go bad after only 2 years and that was in Florida with no cold starts. New battery from Dealer under warranty and no problems now. If you leave anything plugged in (like a smartphone charger,) when it's really cold you'll have problems too. Good to hear that your painless setup worked to start your truck though.

Archived