Hypertech Power Programmer III

I found a programmer on ebay that I can get for pretty cheap. It's a Hypertech Power Programmer III. It says it is for 2002 GMC vehicles only. I have a 2001. Aren't these trucks the same? I did find a programmer for a 2001 but the guy is not sure if it is VIN locked or not. I would really like to get the 2002 but have no idea if it will work for my truck or not but with these trucks being the same I don't see why it wouldn't. Anyone have any experience with these programmers??

• 2 weeks later...

Get the model number of the programmer and google it. I was looking at some on ebay for my truck and started checking up on m odel compatability. Beware of believing the "seller". Most of the used ones on ebay are outdated and replaced by a different model number now. The manufacturer is not going to want to help you buying a used one by any means. You will not know if it is locked for sure or malfunctioning until after you buy it. Most sellers I talked with provided me with little to no confidence that the programmer they were selling would work for sure in my truck. I would not doubt if alot of them for sell have been stolen. They say they are selling them for a friend or a brother. Bought it at a yard sale... Had it on their truck and it seemed to work fine....

Check out AutoChipsDirect.com and let me know what you think about it. I am still in limbo and searching. I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for those programmers if I am not getting a good guarantee of performance gains. From what I have read HP gains are going to be small... +3 <> +7 ... not sure but I think around that

I had a Hypertech programmer I initially bought for my 2005 but it just wasn't what I had expected so the retailer took it back and exchanged it for a Superchips handheld programmer. The Hypertech kept throwing up these codes that it was supposedly reading (ABS, etc.) so a buddy of mine at Auto Zone pulled the ABS code reader off his shelf and read my truck and proved that the ABS issue was not there. That's when I took the Hypertech back to the store. Only time (and last time) I ever used Hypertech. I have always used Superchips for programming changes to my vehicles until I got the BB tune for my 2011 Silverado last year. Good luck with your decision.

Archived