Rear Inner Brake Pad Wearing Out

Hi! I have a 2000 Silverado Z71.The passenger side inner brake pad on the rear axle wore out so I replaced the pads & rotors on both rear wheels.Now,only 17,000 miles later, the same inner pad is worn out again.The other pads are ok.Has anyone experienced this problem,or can someone give me advice as to what might be causing this to occur? (caliper?) Thanks for any help that you may be able to provide!

Fairly common. GM says it's road debris and offers some sort of kit to help cover the caliper some. This was one of the main reasons they went to drums in 2005. Check and make sure the slide pins work smoothly then change the pads again.

I installed the flap kit to prevent debris from getting in there. Mine was doing the same thing. I haven't done a brake change since, I'll let you know when I do if it worked. The kit looks kind of weird if you are really looking at it, but I think it works. I have had absolutely no problems with this install. Came with directions and all hardware. Picture of flap is below. I took it in the dark so it's kind of hard to see the flaps in front of the tires. It blocks the entire front end of the wheelwell to keep stuff from flying in there. This is from edmunds.com:

GM has had a problem with the rear brakes on their light duty trucks. There is a fix. The ALLDATA Information System shows GM Technical Service Bulletin # 00-05-23-005B, which to simply describe is a mud flap kit. This kit addresses rapid brake pad wear problem that is found on most GMC and Chevy trucks made from ’99 to ’04. The right rear brake caliper and pads are located in such a manner that road dirt flies right into the brake pads. This steady diet of dirt causes the brakes pads to wear out really fast. The GM mud flap kit is installed to block bombardment of road dirt and debris that is causing the brake pads to wear out so quickly. The GM kit part number is 15765007 and is pretty easy to install. Before your next brake job I would suggest installing the mud flat kit.

post-15846-0-23325300-1334715311_thumb.jpg

Good to know and a little to late for me. At 120k miles I had to change out my rear brakes due to that one pad being worn and the rest were good. So I just did both but my R/R caliper seemed to be frozen or at least the piston would not push in like the L/R side did. So I replace the caliper. I guess I need to get this kit and install it. I'm still on the original front pads, which have about half their thickness left.

• 1 year later...

wow! glad I found this thread... Just picked up a 2000 3/4 ton LD... looks like brand new slotted rotors on the rear and guy also tells me he had recently had the rear brakes done. After a couple weeks of driving the RR pads are giving me the squeal warning, I think I may have caught it in time... thanks for posting. what does that kit cost btw?

I'll update after work is done.

thanks again.

I also noticed uneven wear on my rear pads when I changed them out not too long ago. Either the left or right was very worn out but on the other side of the axle the pads were in decent shape. But would never consider those mud flaps thingies.

Oh hell yeah. They're tough as nails. I know some people don't like them, but they work. Period.

Oh hell yeah. They're tough as nails. I know some people don't like them, but they work. Period.

Archived