dual electric fans... Is it worth doing?

electric fans are a good add on, they will free up some HP since it will be less drag on the motor and like others have said you dont have the concern of long idles and the temps climbing, hated that in my old truck.

If you have a specific part number email [email protected] and we may be able to save you some money.

I run a electric setup on my Mustang. But I use a temp controller for the fans. Its not a run of the mill, hit 180, fan comes on, then goes off type system. It ramps up the voltage to the fan as the temp increases, increasing the speed to the fan. you dont get that on/off/on/off with some controllers. Extends the life to the fan. Works really well.

http://www.dccontrol.com/

I've heard both sides of the coin. For HD towing, they say an engine driven fan can pull more air (and are supposedly more reliable) which is why you don't see OE electric fans on HD applications. For cars or light duty pickup applications electric fans probably work just fine. The key is providing sufficient airflow at the maximum load you will see. As well, you want fans with multiple speeds so that you are not actually using more HP than you need at light load applications.

DEWFPO

Even more so if you drive through the southwest in the summertime. I actually removed electric fans from one of my GM vehicles and installed a heavy duty engine driven fan with fan clutch when I lived in Arizona. The electrics just couldn't keep up and pull enough air.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to pass along my info.

I just bought an '05 CC 5.3 and it has e fans. I reeaallllly like them way better than the fan clutch on my 5.3 '02. It is so much quieter than the 02, especially in the summer in Alabama. It does not sound like a bus when leaving a stop. It has been pushing 100 for the past few weeks and the temp stays correct per the highly accurate guage (sarcasm). I had an 95 Impala SS and got used to hearing the engine, not the fans when driving. It never overheated running SCCA SOLO II events in the summer while spanking those Mustangs. I believe the clutch was engaging on the 02 running down the interstate at these temps.Even at 200k, I was thinking of swapping them on the 02. It is just much quieter operating with them. You just have to get the correct size fans & make sure the rad is large enough for your application. Another thing, they do not come on that often in the winter. Hope this helps someone.

Babyhauler

Archived