General Motors’ Dexos1 Motor Oil Consumer Alert

^^^^^

That's exactly it.

To keep GM's Dexos brand on your oil, you need to pay them for every drop you sell. This is why the Dexos brand should be thrown out the window. What's so different from a 2010 Silverado engine to a 2011 Silverado engine that the 2011 "may be damaged" if you don't use GM's Dexos?........Absolutely NOTHING!

^^^^^

That's exactly it.

To keep GM's Dexos brand on your oil, you need to pay them for every drop you sell. This is why the Dexos brand should be thrown out the window. What's so different from a 2010 Silverado engine to a 2011 Silverado engine that the 2011 "may be damaged" if you don't use GM's Dexos?........Absolutely NOTHING!

i'll tell ya whats different...

the specs on the end line for the rotary girder.

It the dealer is willing to change your oil every 3k miles for free then it doesn't really matter what oil they put in. At that low of mileage the oil is still in great shape for any 2011 or newer vehicles. Plus if it was the dealer it would be in their records so nothing to worry about. Especially since you are going above and beyond what the manual states for changing your oil, since it recommends to follow the OLM.

If you look on the 5w-30 AMSOIL bottles it states that it meets dexos 1 specifications. As well as Valvolines bottles the last time I checked and both companies didn't pay GM. I'm sure GM knows about this.

It the dealer is willing to change your oil every 3k miles for free then it doesn't really matter what oil they put in. At that low of mileage the oil is still in great shape for any 2011 or newer vehicles. Plus if it was the dealer it would be in their records so nothing to worry about. Especially since you are going above and beyond what the manual states for changing your oil, since it recommends to follow the OLM.

If you look on the 5w-30 AMSOIL bottles it states that it meets dexos 1 specifications. As well as Valvolines bottles the last time I checked and both companies didn't pay GM. I'm sure GM knows about this.

Yeah, they will say that BUT they are not allowed to have GM's Dexos brand on the container. Most oils say they meet the specs., nothing wrong with that if they do. Noithing GM can do about it, they tell you Dexos 1 OR equivelent.

I've stayed out of this as long as possible because there are 100's of self proclaimed oil "guru's" around here that I could give a "S" less to waste my time talking with but I've got to at least throw this out there and then I'm out of here...........

1. Valvoline is still in court with GM over the whole Dexos thing.

2. Valvoline is in court with GM because? GM doesn't even test the oil's to certify that they are Dexos "compliant". All they want is so much $$ per quart of oil sold, from that company, to put GM's Dexos symbol on their containers, THAT'S IT.

3. The only reason that Mobil 1, Penzoil and Quaker State were so quick to become Dexos "compliant" is because GM owns part of both Mobil and Shell(who makes Penzoil and QS).

FREE oil changes....yeah ok. :confused: just had the oil changed in the wifes 2012 equinox, cost me $54.77 but received $10 rebate card. wow thanks! also they put a larger filter on per GM so now it takes 6 QTS........what a joke! :bs: Had to laugh the service lady said we will see ya in 5000k for another oil change :idiot:, yeah ok... maybe in 6/7k cuz that fancy oil is soooooo great!

• 3 years later...

This came up on a Google search...but by the sounds of things I can run Amsoil OE with no warranty worries at all?

Canadian Tire and Home Hardware now carry Amsoil.

Everyone that has the "DEXOS 1" logo/name on the oil container has paid to have it licensed by GM.It doesn't matter what brand / type of oil you use, you DO NOT have to use oil with that logo on it. As long as the oil manufacturer states that it meets the dexos specifications.The Magnason Moss Act mentioned above states the dealer/manufacturer of a product can not force you to buy a specific branded product to keep your warranty intact, (such as a GM licensed Dexos product.)Taken from Amsoil Website:Do 2011 GM vehicle owners have to use a dexos-licensed product? No. You can use any product that meets dexos specifications. They are not required to use a GM-licensed product. GM has chosen to grant licenses only to companies that pay them a substantial fee. Some oil companies have chosen to make a product that meets the same standards as a licensed product without adding an unnecessary administrative cost to the product that consumers would be forced to pay. So long as the oil manufacturer warrants that the motor oil meets dexos specifications, its acceptable to use it.Federal law prohibits a manufacturer from requiring the use of a specific brand in order to maintain warranty coverage. The FTC recently issued a consumer alert to remind consumers that the automaker or dealer must prove a given product caused the need for repairs rather than denying warranty coverage on the basis of the product simply being used.It is also worth noting that GM itself has acknowledged alternative engine oils may be used if dexos is unavailable. Owners manuals for 2011 GM cars state: In the event that dexos-approved engine oil is not available at an oil change or for maintaining proper oil level, you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W30 viscosity grade. Use of oils that do not meet the dexos specification, however, may result in reduced performance under certain circumstances.

That is correct, you can run the Amsoil OE with no worries. And GM TSB has also come out that says that when GM Dexos approved oil is not available, then any oil that meets ILSAC GF-5 is ok to use. And that TSB is recent and applies specifically to the new 20w oil specs of the newer motors. So, we have the manual in my 2013 1500 using 5w30 saying "dexos or equivalent" and now we have a GM TSB for the 20w oil motors, specifically TSB #13-00-90-001 says:

If you are unable to locate a retailer, then a GF5 Synthetic grade 0W20 oil that meets the dexos1™ specification, such as Mobil 1™ 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy synthetic oil can be used. It meets or exceeds International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) GF-5 requirements.

So we have at least two references from GM themselves that state a non "approved" dexos equivalent oil can be safely used. Look on the bottle of any brand at the store. Virtually every synthetic blend or full synthetic will meet the GF-5 requirement. Dexos1 spec virtually requires a synthetic blend at a minimum also. Full Synthetics easily meet the GF-5 requirement. Even the SuperTech Walmart brand. If an oil claims to meet the dexos1 spec and the GF-5 spec, it would meet everything your GM motor needs. It does not have to only be on the "approved" oil list.

Look, GM puts out what it does to "scare people straight" so that they will not just use some goofy oil made from dog snot. There is nothing really all that technologically advanced about a GM motor that isn't also of similar nature from any other OEM. Any oil that meets the latest industry standard specs regarding motor oils will work just fine. And those "industry standard" current specs are API-SN "resource conserving" and the ILSAC GF-5. The only appreciable difference between dexos1 and these, is that dexos1 also demands that the NOACK, or burn off rate of the oil, not exceed 12. That requires a minimum of a synthetic blend or full synthetic to meet that.

I don't know why everyone is complaining about the price. When I get my oil changed at the dealer it's the same as the quick lube place, and I don't have to worry about warranty issues. After its out of warranty who cares it's on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well for me, the "free" oil changes for the first whatever number of changes or miles really didn't mean anything to me with my 2013 or my 2015. Let's see.... drive an hour to get to the dealer, take an afternoon off from my business and lose whatever hundreds and thousands in potential revenue, just for some "free" oil change done by the lowest guy on the totem pole at the dealership shop? Not hardly. Just one single "free" oil change would cost me more than 10 years of doing them myself. We don't live in or near a major metro area dealership that also has express lanes, loaner vehicles, and normal hours on Saturday, etc. I just do them myself at my convenience, and call it a "bonding" moment with my pickup. I am not convinced that the dealership lube shop "tech" will properly grease all the fittings on my 2500HD (probably couldn't find some of them and wouldn't know where to look), and I don't want to risk that they will strip the threads on the pan drain, or improperly tighten down the filter.

Could be that GM figured out many have a similar position as mine. They have reduced the number of free oil changes and talk is they are going to eliminate the program. It was just a marketing gimmick to get folks thru the front door and also bring them back on a regular basis to get them in a position to look at the newer vehicles. And the could have the vehicle in front of them and start recommending all sorts of stuff that they claim "needs" done to draw money out of the owner. If a person chooses to take advantage of the free oil change stuff, fantastic. Go for it. Some of us, it is a non issue and not worth it. And there is no way I would ever pay a dealer for an oil change.

Thanks for the input guys, it's appreciated.

I was told that the only way you can qualify for the free oil changes is if the OLM is at 20% or less?

For me, I like doing my own maintenance, with exception to trans fluid/ filter.

But I understand those getting it do t that are just too busy to do it themselves.

Archived