Brake Controller Stays On?

uchi

hope this is the right section for this. i just noticed that my tekonsha, think thats how its spelled, trailer brake controller stays lit up after the truck has been shut off and after doors have been closed. i was outside about 5 minutes after leaving the truck and poked my head into the window and the unit was still lit up. when i start the truck it flashes red telling me theres no connection to my trailer which is fine, but is it normal for this thing to stay on? truck is an 09 sierra sle with towing package and the controller is a tekonsha p3. thanks

hope this is the right section for this. i just noticed that my tekonsha, think thats how its spelled, trailer brake controller stays lit up after the truck has been shut off and after doors have been closed. i was outside about 5 minutes after leaving the truck and poked my head into the window and the unit was still lit up. when i start the truck it flashes red telling me theres no connection to my trailer which is fine, but is it normal for this thing to stay on? truck is an 09 sierra sle with towing package and the controller is a tekonsha p3. thanks

I have that brand controller, a "P3" to be exact. Mine does not flash red until I step on the brake for the first time after start up. It also stays on for approximately 15 mins. after my truck is shut off.

I don't remember the exact model of my controller but anytime I have my trailer plugged in the little LED stays lit after engine shut down. I'm not sure if it cuts out after the 15 minutes or not (always forget to check before I unlock the door.) Mine also flickers red when I start the engine. I don't think you have a problem. That little LED draws so little power it would take days to drain the battery down.

Two things real quick:

1. It stays on for 15 minutes after vehicle shutoff and I think it holds down the electric brakes when attached for that time. It's to assist while you unhitch and might not have the wheels choked yet, so it is to keep it from rolling on you.

2. If you tap your brake, even while off, I think it will light up. But it does go off after 15 mins. I've had one hooked up for years and never ran the battery down. Don't sweat it.

• 4 weeks later...
Two things real quick:

1. It stays on for 15 minutes after vehicle shutoff and I think it holds down the electric brakes when attached for that time. It's to assist while you unhitch and might not have the wheels choked yet, so it is to keep it from rolling on you.

no, it doesn't
2. If you tap your brake, even while off, I think it will light up. But it does go off after 15 mins. I've had one hooked up for years and never ran the battery down. Don't sweat it.

on the GMT900 trucks the brake lights go through the BCM, stepping on the brakes with the ignition off will not turn on the controller nor will the brake lights illuminate. When the brake controller is off you can start the truck and the controller will not power back on until you tap the brakes the first time.

Archived