General Motor's Rumorpile Reveals Some Future Truck Engine Plans

'Pickuptrucks.com' reported that last week. All the engines are supposed to be aluminum blocks as well. Guess GM finally has enough confidence in aluminum engines to use them in HD pickups. I think it is strange that they are using the 6.2L in the HD's and the 6.0L in the LD's. What's the point? They are so close in displacement and probably output that it seems silly to have 2 different sized engines.

I think it is strange that they are using the 6.2L in the HD's and the 6.0L in the LD's. What's the point? They are so close in displacement and probably output that it seems silly to have 2 different sized engines.

They might be close in displacement but they are VERY different motors IMO. My 6.2L would run circles around my previous 6.0 :cheers:

The direct injection will be a good thing.

'Pickuptrucks.com' reported that last week. All the engines are supposed to be aluminum blocks as well. Guess GM finally has enough confidence in aluminum engines to use them in HD pickups. I think it is strange that they are using the 6.2L in the HD's and the 6.0L in the LD's. What's the point? They are so close in displacement and probably output that it seems silly to have 2 different sized engines.

I hope that they can build an all aluminum engine that can keep head gaskets....... That's been an issue with GM...... Just sayin'

I hope that they can build an all aluminum engine that can keep head gaskets....... That's been an issue with GM...... Just sayin'

Specifically which all aluminum GM engines would you be speaking of, that had head gasket "issues"? I'm curious.

As for the article, I don't see enough there that is really any different that what we've already heard. DI is coming, a turbo 6? Can't speak about that much ( :cheers: ) but the 6l - 6.2l swap? I don't know, that really doesn't make much of a difference to me.

Oh, and I'd be willing to bet that the displacement numbers of the DI engines are most likely going to change and NOT be what we already have. Just a theory. :lol:

Specifically which all aluminum GM engines would you be speaking of, that had head gasket "issues"? I'm curious.

I knew that I was going to be sorry for mentioning that........ :cool:

Remember how old I am....... :cheers: ......it's just sort of a sore spot with me.

'61-63 215 cu in V8s....... new head gaskets with every oil change.......

I had a '73 Trans Am 455 super duty...... all aluminum...... couldn't keep head gaskets in it.

My brother had a Corvette..... don't remember what year..... all aluminum....... couldn't keep head gaskets in it......

I know.....I know..... I know..... Technology has come a long way baby and the Japanese have taught us a lot about building aluminum engines but the wheels grind VERY S L O W at GM........ :lol:

I knew that I was going to be sorry for mentioning that........ :P

Remember how old I am....... :cheers: ......it's just sort of a sore spot with me.

I had a '73 Trans Am 455 super duty...... all aluminum...... couldn't keep head gaskets in it.

My brother had a Corvette..... don't remember what year..... all aluminum....... couldn't keep head gaskets in it......

I know.....I know..... I know..... Technology has come a long way baby and the Japanese have taught us a lot about building aluminum engines but the wheels grind VERY S L O W at GM........ :cool:

So, pretty blanket/inaccurate statement then, eh?

I want to see this '73 455 SD T/A that is all aluminum. It's got to be rare.........

Corvette's:

Z11 all aluminum 427 in '69. I'm not so sure those ever made it to the streets.....

'87-'91 ZR1. Never seen enough to know, honestly.

'06-current (for the most part), failures literally non-existant. I've never seen 1 but I'm sure there may have been a few. Certainly not an "issue".

P.S. My all aluminum 6.2 hasn't lifted a head yet but I'll keep ya'll posted. :lol:

I knew that I was going to be sorry for mentioning that........ :uhoh:

Remember how old I am....... :dunno: ......it's just sort of a sore spot with me.

I know.....I know..... I know..... Technology has come a long way baby and the Japanese have taught us a lot about building aluminum engines but the wheels grind VERY S L O W at GM........ :dunno:

Aint that the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

I was really thinking of getting a 2500 next time around but if they do a turbo v6 in the half-ton i might have to reconsider. Id love to see it with a manual tranny!

Im sure if they do keep the same displacement they will all be direct injection, aluminum, and the power and mpg will increase.

No such engine..all 455's were cast iron.

Z11 was in 1963. Z11 the option code in Impala, all aluminum front fenders, hood, bumper, grill, 427 engine (cast iron Modified 409 engine rated at 430hp@6000 RPM's. (Actual

horsepower was 480-525)) . It was the body parts that were made of aluminum.

Hood #3837710 (aluminum)

Hood catch #3837718 (aluminum)

Grill filler panel #3837750 (aluminum)

Left fender #3837765 (aluminum)

Right fender #3837766 (aluminum)

Front bumper center #3837751 (aluminum)

Front bumper LH #3837755 (aluminum)

Front bumper RH #3837756 (aluminum)

Rear bumper center #3837752 (aluminum)

Rear bumper LH #3837753 (aluminum)

Rear bumper RH #3837754 (aluminum)

Front bumper bracket LH #3837763 (aluminum)

Front bumper bracket RH #3837764 (aluminum)

Rear bumper bracket LH #3837757 (aluminum)

Rear bumper bracket RH #3837758 (aluminum)

Rear frame to bumper brace LH #3837759 (aluminum)

Rear frame to bumper brace RH #3837760 (aluminum)

In 1969 is was the ZL1 engine that was all aluminum. There was no problems with the engine except for the high cost. That's what killed the engine. All this came at a price: $4,160 for the ZL1 engine alone, pushing the car's sticker to a stratospheric $7,200. Chevy needed to build 50 to satisfy the NHRA, and actually built 69. About 20 ZL1s went into organized drag racing, turning low 10s to set several Super Stock records. Well-heeled individuals bought others, but the high price took a toll: At least 12 engines were removed and sold separately, and about 30 unsold cars were returned to Chevy. It took until the early '70s to sell them off.

No such engine..all 455's were cast iron.

Z11 was in 1963. Z11 the option code in Impala, all aluminum front fenders, hood, bumper, grill, 427 engine (cast iron Modified 409 engine rated at 430hp@6000 RPM's. (Actual

horsepower was 480-525)) . It was the body parts that were made of aluminum.

Hood #3837710 (aluminum)

Hood catch #3837718 (aluminum)

Grill filler panel #3837750 (aluminum)

Left fender #3837765 (aluminum)

Right fender #3837766 (aluminum)

Front bumper center #3837751 (aluminum)

Front bumper LH #3837755 (aluminum)

Front bumper RH #3837756 (aluminum)

Rear bumper center #3837752 (aluminum)

Rear bumper LH #3837753 (aluminum)

Rear bumper RH #3837754 (aluminum)

Front bumper bracket LH #3837763 (aluminum)

Front bumper bracket RH #3837764 (aluminum)

Rear bumper bracket LH #3837757 (aluminum)

Rear bumper bracket RH #3837758 (aluminum)

Rear frame to bumper brace LH #3837759 (aluminum)

Rear frame to bumper brace RH #3837760 (aluminum)

In 1969 is was the ZL1 engine that was all aluminum. There was no problems with the engine except for the high cost. That's what killed the engine. All this came at a price: $4,160 for the ZL1 engine alone, pushing the car's sticker to a stratospheric $7,200. Chevy needed to build 50 to satisfy the NHRA, and actually built 69. About 20 ZL1s went into organized drag racing, turning low 10s to set several Super Stock records. Well-heeled individuals bought others, but the high price took a toll: At least 12 engines were removed and sold separately, and about 30 unsold cars were returned to Chevy. It took until the early '70s to sell them off.

Typo on my end.

Archived