Oil Level On The Dipstick

can anyone with a 2010 sierra 5.3l tell me where 6 quarts of oil puts there oil level on the dipstick? And yes you would think that it should be around the highest hole on the dipstick but Ive read many posts where people claim that the dipstick is incorrect. I had my oil changed the other day and mine seems excessively high. Thanks for the help...

can anyone with a 2010 sierra 5.3l tell me where 6 quarts of oil puts there oil level on the dipstick? And yes you would think that it should be around the highest hole on the dipstick but Ive read many posts where people claim that the dipstick is incorrect. I had my oil changed the other day and mine seems excessively high. Thanks for the help...

I took our 2011' Silverado (5.3) in to the dealer last weekend for the first oil change and afterwards I checked the dip stick to make sure they filled it completely and the oil registered right at the top hole on the stick. The ticket said that they put 6 quarts of GM Dexos oil in it.

I would say that if 6 quarts are put in, the truck has the CORRECT amount of oil regardless where it is on the dip stick. Due to manufacturing tolerances and assembly of the dip stick tube, some may be in further than others, the oil level could vary on the dip stick somewhat from truck to truck. And on occasion an incorrect dip stick or tube could be installed.

On my '09 LC9 5.3 V8 with 6-speed tranny, it takes about 5.6 quarts to fill it to the full line on the dipstick, after a careful drain and new oil filter installed. If I just glug in a full 6 quarts, it puts it quite a little bit above the full mark. Don't mean to argue, but I don't see how the bottom line of the shaded area on my dipstick would mean you are 3 quarts low. Seems like 3 quarts low (out of 5 1/2 or 6 qts.) would make for one noisy engine and probably some engine damage (?)

On my '09 LC9 5.3 V8 with 6-speed tranny, it takes about 5.6 quarts to fill it to the full line on the dipstick, after a careful drain and new oil filter installed. If I just glug in a full 6 quarts, it puts it quite a little bit above the full mark. Don't mean to argue, but I don't see how the bottom line of the shaded area on my dipstick would mean you are 3 quarts low. Seems like 3 quarts low (out of 5 1/2 or 6 qts.) would make for one noisy engine and probably some engine damage (?)

Bret,

I stand corrected..Each hole is a 1/4 quart. :)

Archived