Tinted Tail Lights Law In North Carolina

Autonut

Does anyone know if there is a law in North Carolina regarding tinted tail lights? :cool: I will be leaving Ontario, Canada on Monday and heading south :lol: for a week. I don't feel the need to be stopped :lol: because of my tinted tail lights. Or any state on the way there for that matter. :D

Thanks

ik in nj the cops always pull over the cars with tinted tail lights but not so much the trucks i guess if ur not screwing around they wont even notice, pull you over for just tints

this is wat i found "After some research it appears that there is no specific law restricting modification of tail lights, however it does state that they must be visible to other drivers which shouldn't be a problem as long as the smoked tail lights still let light through. I provided links to a website that contains laws of NC. The second link brings you to a search engine that allows you to search NC legal code using keywords, if you want to look further. Hopefully this helps."

Some states have laws regarding the distance rear lamps must be visible. Too dark of a tint may be cause for a ticket. Same with the light output expressed in lumens. Not bright enough and Officer Friendly writes you up.

Some tail lamp assemblies have reflectors as part of the lens. Tint over the reflectors may also mean a ticket.

And some states along your route may be able to enforce their own state laws even though you have plates from somewhere else.

Drive within the posted speed limit (in MPH!! :cool: ), obey the traffic laws, and the chances are that you won't have any problem.

Whatever the law is I agree with it. It looks awesome, yeah. But I almost ran over a 350Z the other day because the punk driving it smoked his lights and I couldn't see him. I could tell I was approaching him but he had really hit the brakes hard and by the time I noticed i was right up on him. Dangerous.

well I'm in nc and have been pulled over many times after I smoked my tails but no tickets at all, not for smoked tails, nor the frame around the plates, or the back up camera on the plates, or the extra back up lights etc.

edit: when I say I have been pulled over I don't mean 'cause the tails, actually it has been for other things, and I have been to check points too, but no tickets whatsoever

so you should be fine man with those tails in the pic below on post #7

Thanks for the info guys. The picture attached shows my truck with a non-tinted on the left (drivers side) and a tinted one on the right for comparison. I don't believe the tint is to dark. I think I'll just put my originals in the back and change them out if I have any hassles.

Thanks again.

post-87602-1306023658_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. The picture attached shows my truck with a non-tinted on the left (drivers side) and a tinted one on the right for comparison. I don't believe the tint is to dark. I think I'll just put my originals in the back and change them out if I have any hassles.

Thanks again.

I would'nt worry about it. I had tinted tail lights on my old 89 and got pulled over in Daytona for of all things, a loud exhaust.Nothing about the tinted windows, Ski-Doo plate below the front plate or tinted tail lights. Studded tires are illegal here in Ontario but where I live the Quebecers are still rollin on themin Ontario and nobody hassles them. Yup, near June and you can still hear the wannabe rally racers in their studded up Subarus.

I arrived in NC Monday night. We left home at 3:40 am and pulled in the driveway at 7:45 pm. Talked to some locals and they said I would have no problems. When we were out driving around, I did see a couple of pick up with their tail light tinted. So all is well, thanks again for the info.

post-87602-1306498594_thumb.jpg

Archived