checking tranny fluid(4L60E)

I have a 95 z71 with 350 and auto (4L60E).

I changed the trans fluid and filter today just as I have many times before on other vehicles. My problem is getting a accurate fluid level reading. I go through the entire process listed in the owners manual and something wierd happens. When it comes time in the process to pull the dipstick out of the tube the level is perfect. BUT the procedure says to wipe the dipstick clean and re-insert. When I pull it back out the fluid level looks about 2" above the max

mark. According to my manual it says to refill with five quarts when doing a fluid/filter change. I did just that. Removed pan, draned fluid, installed new filter, and refilled with 5 qts. So what gives?

Once again when I pull the dipstick out the first time the level is perfect. When I wipe it clean, reinsert, and check the level it is about 2" higher?

Maybe when I pull the dipstick out it "vents" the system and causes fluid level in the pan to rise?

I have also heard on the net that the fluid level in certain trannys should be about 2" over the full mark. Is the 4L60E one of them?

Thanks

Never heard of this problem before.  The transmission already has a vet at the top of the caseing.  It's not big but should be enough to vet the excess air.  Make sure you're doing it correctly.

Warm the tranny first.  A quick drive around the block going through all the gears in drive.  In your driveway run the tranny through the gear.  I like to use all the gears to make sure.  Put it in 1 then 2 then 3 then drive and then reverse 2 or 3 times.  Check the fluid level with the engine running.  This should give you the more accurite reading.

Actually the process you describe is incorrect.  I am using the process in the owners manual for a hot check(the most accurate).  What you are describing is a cold check and it is not accurate.

• 2 months later...
I have noticed the same thing on my truck and the tranny fluid hasnt been changed yet...I only have 15k miles...I followed the directions like the manual says and it reads about 1 inch above where it should.....oh well

Archived