Mud Flaps Or No Flaps

hey guys, when i bought the truck i had the huge chrome rubber mud flaps, and i got rid of them ASAP

i installed the molded GMC mudflaps shortly there after. i think the front set look awesome, but i am not settled on the rear set

if your looking at the rear of the truck from a lower stance they look cheap and weak and there isnt alot of coverage. i think lifted trucks look great with no mud flaps

what would you guys reccommend for the rear? install a different brand or get rid of mud flaps all together??? i know... i am OCD lol

post-75505-1304000156_thumb.jpg

post-75505-1304000133_thumb.jpg

post-75505-1304000495_thumb.jpg

post-75505-1304000511_thumb.jpg

i think all trucks look better without them but i run on so much gravel that i have to have them. i didnt like the red gmc logo so i took some fine grit sand paper and sanded all the red off. maybe that is a viable option for you?

Yeah I hate Mudflaps too...But you have to do what you have to do.

I think the old rubber ones would be better, as they protect better.

You can always get some color match bed liner sprayed on to protect the corner though.

I've got a new black truck that looks like yours. I bought the GM Splash Guards on eBay for my truck that were color-matched (GM P/N 19212761 for the front, 19212773 for the rear), because we actually drive the thing off-road, and all that mud and crap on the side of the truck looked like hell. No way in hell I was going to pay retail for these things, so I waited and bid on a few over the course of a week - I got mine for $60 for all plus shipping. Since they're painted black, they look like they belong on the truck, and actually do a good job. Thumbs-up from me on this one.

the only reason i have them is to protect the paint and fenders, ect.

i dont do alot of gravel driving mostly city and some dirt so i might scrap them

if i put some side steps back on i might keep the front ones on to keep the steps clean

if i do take them off and it gets muddy it will be cleaned off within a couple days

I like the looks of them, and with your truck being black I also think the red looks great too. I would keep 'em.

Don't mean to hyjack the thread but does anyone know where I can get the flat (stiff) rubber mudflaps with the GM logo on them? I want them for my 97 but the dealership says they can't get them???? I thought they were full of sh*t, but neither the GMC nor the Chevy dealer has them.

I have a 2011 Tahoe that I put mudflaps on so I will give you my opinion based on that and what I see from your pictures. I didn't care for the GM flaps because of the way they have a 90 degree angle part that protrudes out over the fender and against the painted surface. That would look OK if you had the color matched flaps but I don't care for them either. The painted ones show up more and, to me, look odd because they have the painted surface that hangs down and is around/near the black tires, fender wells and running boards (if equipped). That would be OK with a black or dark grey truck.

I have the weathertech ones and they are the exact width as the tire and when mounted match up perfectly on both the outside and the inside to the tire width if looking at them from behind. From your pictures yours extend beyond the tires on the insides and are hanging crooked. You also have a visible gap above the inside of the flap and the fenderwell/bottom of the truck. The weather tech's don't have this gap at least on my Hoe. They are still molded but not as much and have an indention where they go over the fender with a piece that sticks up on the inside so you don't have this gap (don't know how to explain it better). I put them on for protection but I actually like the looks of them. JMHO.

I have a 2011 Tahoe that I put mudflaps on so I will give you my opinion based on that and what I see from your pictures. I didn't care for the GM flaps because of the way they have a 90 degree angle part that protrudes out over the fender and against the painted surface. That would look OK if you had the color matched flaps but I don't care for them either. The painted ones show up more and, to me, look odd because they have the painted surface that hangs down and is around/near the black tires, fender wells and running boards (if equipped). That would be OK with a black or dark grey truck.

I have the weathertech ones and they are the exact width as the tire and when mounted match up perfectly on both the outside and the inside to the tire width if looking at them from behind. From your pictures yours extend beyond the tires on the insides and are hanging crooked. You also have a visible gap above the inside of the flap and the fenderwell/bottom of the truck. The weather tech's don't have this gap at least on my Hoe. They are still molded but not as much and have an indention where they go over the fender with a piece that sticks up on the inside so you don't have this gap (don't know how to explain it better). I put them on for protection but I actually like the looks of them. JMHO.

yeah i looked at the weathertech ones as well, i like the looks of them, however they arnt exactly cheap.

i think im going to leave the front mudflaps on as they fit well and they look good but the rears are junk

Archived