How To Get Into Engine Air Filter Box On Gmt900

It's not at 50,000 miles yet, but I always 'tap out' the air filter and clean out the filter box every year on all our vehicles, and am doing a little pre-snow maintenance on the pickup.

Was surprised to see it looks like I'll need a tool to do this on my 09 Silverado 5.3L crew cab. :P

Dad says it looks like an allen wrench, but I think it may be a torx bit.

Friend says to force it with a phillips head screwdriver, but I don't want to mess up the heads on the screws on our new (not quite one year old yet) truck.

Can anyone tell me the proper size bit?

I gotta say, I know The General wants all work to be done by Mr. Goodwrench, but in 25 years, we've gone from a single wing nut to check your air cleaner to having to go buy a tool, and I think that's a couple of steps backwards!

:D

Thanks in advance for any replies!

You are correct, it is a torx drive, not sure of the correct size off of the top of my head though

Thanks, I'm headed to Sears. I'm guessing I'll have to buy a whole set, but will probably come in handy on truck in future. . .

Stock airbox cover is held on by four Torx T-25 screws.

I pulled my stock box this morning and replaced it with a Banks Ram-Air setup. That cover is held on with four stainless Phillips bolts. Which makes more sense. :P

• 9 months later...
I gotta say, I know The General wants all work to be done by Mr. Goodwrench, but in 25 years, we've gone from a single wing nut to check your air cleaner to having to go buy a tool,

I've had my 2010 Silverado for a bit more than a year and thought it would be a good idea to change the air filter. Grabbed a new filter element at Advance, walked out to the parking lot and popped the hood.

Torx screws? On a air box cover? Really? This is ridiculous and as the OP stated, I can see no reason for designing the box in this way other than to hopefully increase traffic at your local GM service center.

Tipsy

I gotta say, I know The General wants all work to be done by Mr. Goodwrench, but in 25 years, we've gone from a single wing nut to check your air cleaner to having to go buy a tool,

I've had my 2010 Silverado for a bit more than a year and thought it would be a good idea to change the air filter. Grabbed a new filter element at Advance, walked out to the parking lot and popped the hood.

Torx screws? On a air box cover? Really? This is ridiculous and as the OP stated, I can see no reason for designing the box in this way other than to hopefully increase traffic at your local GM service center.

Tipsy

If they really wanted to mess with ya they would have put robertson or Torx security bits on it! However, that said your truck has MANY Torx screws and bolts on it and you should get your self a set of bits, T15, T20 T25 and T30. Te clearance bin at Sears usually has a cheap set for a few bucks. I always carry a full set of magnetic screw driver bits eberywhere I go. Thsi includes Common, Phillips, Machine, Hex, Torx and Robertson. You never know when you'll need a weird bit.

PS GM Headlight and taillights have been Torx 15s for a long time, how did you manage to get away without having some on hand!

You are correct, it is a torx drive, not sure of the correct size off of the top of my head though

Thanks, I'm headed to Sears. I'm guessing I'll have to buy a whole set, but will probably come in handy on truck in future. . .

A multi-bit screwdriver (I keep that and a 8" cresent in the glovebox) has the torx you need. Torx is a really great design in my opinion, and as stated they are everywhere on newer vehicles.

Really though its very easy to get at the airfilter. Your friend suggesting to "force" a phillips in there... I won't even go there.

If you have problems wrapping your heads around these being in vehicles today, then you might as well give up on doing your own maintenance because they are here to stay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

Torx drive is the way forward. It's a building industry standard in Europe for wood screws, (although they think north american's Robertson standard is a great new idea). Timber framing in BC, I use torx wherever possible. you can drive 16 inch timber screws with a t30 bit all day long, usually until the bit shears off. even if the bit starts to twist, it'll still work without skipping. Torx also appears in the bicycle industry often.

Archived