Add Radio Controls And Bluetooth To Steering Wheel

Looking to add the radio controls and bluetooth to my 2009 silverado. Does anyone know if the wiring harness is already in the steering column? I read that there are three parts required for this (25851951, 15938939, 20783877) but do these include the radio/BT switch that mounts on the steering wheel. I already have the cruise control on the left side of the steering wheel. Talked to a dealer and they thought I was on crack for even asking if this can be done. How hard can it be?

Thanks in advance for your help!

What, if any, steering wheel controls do you have now? Just cruise? If you don't already have audio controls and you have a base stereo, then you may be looking into a complete wiring harness just for starters... not easy from my experience... not a lot of room for getting wiring done under the dash of these newer trucks... and some of the existing modules may have to be upgraded/replaced. What I have learned on this forum is that GM has integrated MANY functions thru the stereo system and even just installing an aftermarket stereo is not always a simple task as it was in the old school days.

Adding BT to a truck with existing steering wheel audio controls was pretty simple: get a replacement VCIM that has BT and install it. That being said, not everyone has had 100% luck with all of the On* functions working properly after the VCIM module 'upgrade' and it is still a work in progress for many to get proper functionality after 'upgrading'.

What do you have and what are you trying to do?

Looking to add the radio controls and bluetooth to my 2009 silverado. Does anyone know if the wiring harness is already in the steering column? I read that there are three parts required for this (25851951, 15938939, 20783877) but do these include the radio/BT switch that mounts on the steering wheel. I already have the cruise control on the left side of the steering wheel. Talked to a dealer and they thought I was on crack for even asking if this can be done. How hard can it be?

The three parts you listed are the OnStar VCIM with Bluetooth (20783877), Bluetooth antenna (15938939), and steering wheel control pod with phone logos (25851951).

However, as Cruisin Newfie said, if you do not already have steering wheel audio controls, you'll need to replace the SIR coil (sometimes called a "clock spring") at the very least, and possibly more of the wiring harness for the steering column as well.

This is not to say you can't do what you're asking, just that it isn't quite as simple as it appears externally.

The three parts you listed are the OnStar VCIM with Bluetooth (20783877), Bluetooth antenna (15938939), and steering wheel control pod with phone logos (25851951).

However, as Cruisin Newfie said, if you do not already have steering wheel audio controls, you'll need to replace the SIR coil (sometimes called a "clock spring") at the very least, and possibly more of the wiring harness for the steering column as well.

This is not to say you can't do what you're asking, just that it isn't quite as simple as it appears externally.

Not completly true I had just cruise on the left of my steering wheel and all I had to do is purchase a steering wheel with cruise and radio buttons. The mating connector was already molded into the clock spring I just needed to connect the radio controls harness to it and it worked great. These same radio buttons work with Bluetooth once you have the right VCIM installed.

Thanks. All I have is the Cruise Control on the steering wheel, I do not have the radio controls on the steering wheel. Sounds like I need a new steering wheel, but not sure about how much wiring is needed under the dash or steering column.

Not completly true I had just cruise on the left of my steering wheel and all I had to do is purchase a steering wheel with cruise and radio buttons. The mating connector was already molded into the clock spring I just needed to connect the radio controls harness to it and it worked great. These same radio buttons work with Bluetooth once you have the right VCIM installed.

Oh really? I've heard that the opposite was true, but it could be that's only on GMT800s. I'll have to look and see if there are separate part numbers listed for the SIR coil on a GMT900 dependent upon having the redundant radio controls.

Oh really? I've heard that the opposite was true, but it could be that's only on GMT800s. I'll have to look and see if there are separate part numbers listed for the SIR coil on a GMT900 dependent upon having the redundant radio controls.

Just did this on my 2010 SL. I had cruise with the standard plastic wheel, wanted leather wheel, ordered one from gmpartsclub ($178) and it came with radio controls and cruise. Radio controls work as does the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Just did this on my 2010 SL. I had cruise with the standard plastic wheel, wanted leather wheel, ordered one from gmpartsclub ($178) and it came with radio controls and cruise. Radio controls work as does the cruise.

The radio controls work!? what about the blue tooth button on the radio controls?

The radio controls work!? what about the blue tooth button on the radio controls?

Don't have bluetooth on the truck, but if I hold the mute button down on the steering wheel, it launches OnStar to dial the phone (I get the same prompt that I get by pressing the phone button on the mirror).

Don't have bluetooth on the truck, but if I hold the mute button down on the steering wheel, it launches OnStar to dial the phone (I get the same prompt that I get by pressing the phone button on the mirror).

That's what it's supposed to do.... so if you did add a bluetooth VCIM to your truck, it would work properly.

i have a 09 sierra wt, i have no cruise or raido controls on my steering wheel, is there a chance by installing the wheel it would work

doubt it, but, pop the air bag off and see what the connector looks like that the horn wires go to. Count the contacts on the connector that it attaches to. Not sure if that works or not, but if there are only two connectors in there, it will not work for sure.

popped my air bag put checked and i only have 2 pins in the connector. can i change the clock spring to make it work or am i just SOL?

You need at least the clock spring, I would also assume that you will need the sub harness beyond that as well. There is a post here somewhere that shows exactly how to add if you are missing the clock spring. I know I read it recently, but pain meds screw with my short term memory.

popped my air bag put checked and i only have 2 pins in the connector. can i change the clock spring to make it work or am i just SOL?

I also have a 2009 2500 WT. I put in a Rosta unit but was hopping to use the switches in a neew wheel. I just purchased the wheel p/n 25853071 with all controls for $149.00 from GMdirect parts. I have yet to check my connector. What is a "Clock Spring" ? Thanks

Archived