Kinda Off Camber - Lift Kit For A Travel Trailer

Have any of you ever lifted your camper or travel trailer ?

I have an older model that sits really low to the ground, which gives issues with clearance when towing as well as during setup. Larger tires are not really an option due to the wheelwell size, and wouldn't help get the added clearance I need unless I went really big with them.

I figure I can cut off the current spring hangers, and add in a length of 2" x 6" or 2" x 8" box tube, weld it in, and then re-attach the axles/springs to the new tube. I would also put in some bracing from the bottom of the added tube angling up to the existing crossmembers to give added protection against side to side sway.

Doing this would make towing much easier, and would also alleviate concerns with some of the roads I have to travel. Even sitting level in the driveway, the undercarriage/plumbing drain on it is only about 6"-8" off the ground.

Any thoughts or ideas on this ?

I have an older model that sits really low to the ground, which gives issues with clearance when towing as well as during setup. Larger tires are not really an option due to the wheelwell size, and wouldn't help get the added clearance I need unless I went really big with them.

I figure I can cut off the current spring hangers, and add in a length of 2" x 6" or 2" x 8" box tube, weld it in, and then re-attach the axles/springs to the new tube. I would also put in some bracing from the bottom of the added tube angling up to the existing crossmembers to give added protection against side to side sway.

Doing this would make towing much easier, and would also alleviate concerns with some of the roads I have to travel. Even sitting level in the driveway, the undercarriage/plumbing drain on it is only about 6"-8" off the ground.

I don't know about a TT...But I've flipped the axle over (from the top of the leafs to the bottom) on a couple of flatbeds to get clearance. But they were just ATV haulers primarily, so not a lot of weight.

Worked awesome though. Every time we'd go somewhere, 10 people would ask where we got our "4x4 trailers".

Are the springs on top of the axles? If so do a spring over axle flop, that in itself should get you at least 3 inches.

I'm looking at that as well, but it may not be enough clearance

I don't know about a TT...But I've flipped the axle over (from the top of the leafs to the bottom) on a couple of flatbeds to get clearance. But they were just ATV haulers primarily, so not a lot of weight.

Worked awesome though. Every time we'd go somewhere, 10 people would ask where we got our "4x4 trailers".

Got any pics?

Pretty sure your axles are mounted ABOVE your leaf springs correct? If so, do a spring OVER axle mount. Chances are you've got 3" axle tubes, plus the thickness of your leaf spring packs = total amount of lift. Probably anywhere from 4"-6" I'd say. People do it all the time with no issues. My buddy has a 40' 5th wheel toyhauler with triple axles flipped. His trailer sits at 14'-6" high to the top of the A/C units. Scary. Personally I wouldn't do it, but to each his own.

Pretty sure your axles are mounted ABOVE your leaf springs correct? If so, do a spring OVER axle mount. Chances are you've got 3" axle tubes, plus the thickness of your leaf spring packs = total amount of lift. Probably anywhere from 4"-6" I'd say. People do it all the time with no issues. My buddy has a 40' 5th wheel toyhauler with triple axles flipped. His trailer sits at 14'-6" high to the top of the A/C units. Scary. Personally I wouldn't do it, but to each his own.

In most cases, thats exactly what it is... flipping the springs over the axle instead of under.

You did say how old the trailer is? I am assuming older not newer. I had an 20 year old class C that I repacked the springs and then had the shop add another spring to the pack. Cost a little bit of money, but added 2-3 inches of clearance to the rear end and really helped the stability of the unit when parked.

Easier to find a heavy duty spring shop close to home than a lift kit for a trailer, and if handy enought you can do all the work yourself.

You did say how old the trailer is? I am assuming older not newer. I had an 20 year old class C that I repacked the springs and then had the shop add another spring to the pack. Cost a little bit of money, but added 2-3 inches of clearance to the rear end and really helped the stability of the unit when parked.

Easier to find a heavy duty spring shop close to home than a lift kit for a trailer, and if handy enought you can do all the work yourself.

I can do all the work myself if need be, and the trailer is a 76 model, so kinda old.

Yes, my axles are above the springs right now, so I may be able to flip them to the top, and get some slightly longer/stronger shackle mounts and be ok. As old as it is tho, I may be better off replacing the whole spring/pivot/shackle assembly, if not the axles as well.

Just have to determine the axle rating first.

here's some pics of it, but not hooked up......interior kinda gives away it's age..... :lol: But everything works and it's great for hunting, which is what I use it for.

DCP_0050.jpg

DCP_0053.jpg

DCP_0052.jpg

• 1 year later...

I feel like a moron. I've been thinking on how to do this for a month. We're taking our 1986 Coleman Pop-up from Fort Worth to Pensacola over Spring Break and I wanted to put a little bigger wheel and install some rated tires for it. Thanks for the dose of common sense! Looks like my weekend is officially booked!

How about just getting larger/stronger spring packs so it doesn't sag when loaded? I have done this in the past and it worked out great. Used leaf packs from a newer model motor home. You could put a 1 ton of stuff in there and it wouldn't sag or sway going down the highway. You may be able to find a set from something like a school bus at a salvage yard priced right.

Archived