Changing The Color Of Gmc Grill Emblem

I am interested in changing the color of my emblem on my GMC. I know you can take off the emblem, tape it off and paint the red part of the emblem to the desired color. But I have a friend that said you can take the emblem off and pop off the chrome around the red, then apply vinyl to the red, hit it with a heat gun, and then snap the chrome back on. I haven't had the time to pull off my emblem and check it out, and was just wondering if that was a viable way to change the color, or if my friend was just pullin my chain. Also I go to school in Myrtle Beach, SC and have seen a few GM trucks with lime green emblems. Has anybody else seen any of those?

Stuart

I am interested in changing the color of my emblem on my GMC. I know you can take off the emblem, tape it off and paint the red part of the emblem to the desired color. But I have a friend that said you can take the emblem off and pop off the chrome around the red, then apply vinyl to the red, hit it with a heat gun, and then snap the chrome back on. I haven't had the time to pull off my emblem and check it out, and was just wondering if that was a viable way to change the color, or if my friend was just pullin my chain. Also I go to school in Myrtle Beach, SC and have seen a few GM trucks with lime green emblems. Has anybody else seen any of those?

Stuart

Vinyl is a viable option. I have done white vinyl on my GMC. It has been on there for over a year now and no issues at all. Still looks like it did the day it was put on. The GMC emblem did not have to be removed at all to apply the vinyl.

• 2 weeks later...
How did you go about getting the vinyl for the emblem? Did you get a sheet and cut them out to fit or buy the vinyl already cut out so you just had to stick it on?

I actually took it to a place and had them do it for me. Took him about 30 minutes to get it on there and looking good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The emblem itself, chrome and all, pops out of the grille fairly easily. Getting the red GMC out of the chrome might be a different story. As I look at mine right now, I can't see any way that the red "pops out". I am interested in making my emblem white as well. So I looked for websites and have only found one that say they have a grille pre-cut "GMC" in the works. The website is listed below.

I think what I am going to do is just get a white sheet and cut out the letters myself. May not be a professional job but nobody will look too close when they see me in their rearview as I cruise around them! :cheers: I hope this helps out! And good luck :crazy:

Reflectiveconcepts.com

Archived