Magnaflow Vs. Flowmaster

Hi guys I've had a flowmaster (530513) part number underneath my 96 dually for quite a few years now. It is the 50 series big block muffler that is made of heavier gauge steel to handle the heat of the big block. My question is will the magnaflow (12469) handle the heat as the flowmaster did. Now there are some differences in the mufflers. The flowmaster had dual 3 inch inlets and a single 3.5 inch outlet. The Magnaflow (12469) has dual 3 inch inlets and dual 3 inch outlets. Now I know the other exhaust pipe will have to be made no issue there. My only worry is the muffler is subject to alot of heat from the big block. Any one have experience with magnaflows. I would like to try a magnaflow underneath my current truck. The flowmasters have never given any issues no rotting, no rust nothing. I just want to try something different. Any opinions or thoughts appreciated.

As much as I love the Flowmaster sound, the Magnaflow is a much higher quality piece then the Flowmaster. Magnaflows are stainless steal and come with a lifetime warranty. It will out flow and last longer then your Flowmaster.

OK thats what I was looking for. I know that the mufflers underneath my dually are under alot of stress and heat. Because the trucks see alot of heavy towing for extended periods of time. That is hard on any muffler. I have put 60,000 heavy towing miles on my white dually in less then a year. The flowmaster has been up to the task. The black one will not quite see that much but it will see alot of tough loads for exteneded highway miles hence I will try the magnaflow on it.

Flowmaster has that perfect sound but no stainless steel....... I've got 125k or 7years which ever way you look at it on a complete flowmaster system....... its rotten behind the muffler...... I'm fixin to fix her up with Dynomax 39310..... I sell Walker/Dynomax ehaust....... Its got a lifetime warrenty from rot on the stainless stuff...... I sell Flowmaster also, but it does not have that warranty...

If anybody has this kit on a 5.3 I would like to hear it....

Jbo

You can always get a heat shield for your muffler. I think DEI even makes a muffler wrap now that insulates the heat as well as some droning sound.

I loved my Flowmaster, but it rotted out in a few years from NJ winters. If they made a satinless steel exhaust, I would but one in a HEARTBEAT.

OK thats what I was looking for. I know that the mufflers underneath my dually are under alot of stress and heat. Because the trucks see alot of heavy towing for extended periods of time. That is hard on any muffler. I have put 60,000 heavy towing miles on my white dually in less then a year. The flowmaster has been up to the task. The black one will not quite see that much but it will see alot of tough loads for exteneded highway miles hence I will try the magnaflow on it.

I also, live in Florida [New Port Richey-now]; i also have '96 454 Crew cab dually[now has 134,000 miles]. I had NO exhaust mufflers other than the stock cats for a year when i towed boats to/from Lake of the Ozarks. NOT that good a sound, but better gas mileage, than stock muffler... i first bought the same flowmaster as you[50 series-2 pipes in-one out]].... then[at 60,000 miles]i put two 40 series[with reducers on 'in' pipes] to 2-1/2" in/out with full dual pipes. this sounded best! i did put a exhaust insulation shield on the mufflers-NEVER had any heat prob's. i still went North to St. Louis area in SUMMERS...

the last 2 summers, i stayed down here--- the mufflers rusted out that quick! water got between the mufflers and 'blanket'! and with all the rain these past 2 summers-they went quick! i love the sound of the 40's, i wonder if the Magnaflow will, at least, be in the 'ball-park' sound wise? and what about power?[i would put 'wye' behind magnaflow to my dual pipes[2-1/2"]

here's what my magnaflow sounds like..

i really like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNhiCwfPO-w

i've had nothing but flowmasters and this sounds way better and just looks/feels way higher quality.. not all that much difference in cost for me.

You've made a BELIEVER outta me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great sound! and with Florida's humidity... the SS makes beaucoup sense!!! going to summit racing site now! thanks!

here's what my magnaflow sounds like..

i really like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNhiCwfPO-w

i've had nothing but flowmasters and this sounds way better and just looks/feels way higher quality.. not all that much difference in cost for me.

Is it a kit or just the muffler??? If a kit which number???

Jbo

cheapest place i could find to order it from was amazon w/ free super saver shipping for $70.31

this is the exact page i ordered from.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XQM1J...oss_T15_product seems like it went up like $16 in price..

i got the tip at a local exhaust shop for $30 and the muffler install and pipe/hangers were $50 and $40 so i spent $130 (w/tax, etc) on the install and $70 on the muffler bringing it to $200 total for hardware and installation and he got it installed in under an hour.. much cheaper than the summit kits and i have a warranty on the installation/pipes/etc.

i just kept 3' all the way through.

i wanna add that it's a straight-through design (almost like a glasspack) so be prepared for it to be LOUD when you step on it. seriously.

Correction its not the outdoor heat or the heat reflecting on the bottom of the cab. Its the heat of the exhaust gases cooking muffler that I am worried about. The flowmaster was made out of heavier gauge steel to deal with the heat of the exhaust gases that the big blocks produce. I don't want the engine to burn a hole in the muffler. THe way interpreted may not have been understood as written.

Correction its not the outdoor heat or the heat reflecting on the bottom of the cab. Its the heat of the exhaust gases cooking muffler that I am worried about. The flowmaster was made out of heavier gauge steel to deal with the heat of the exhaust gases that the big blocks produce. I don't want the engine to burn a hole in the muffler. THe way interpreted may not have been understood as written.

A heat shield is not to shield from environmental heat. It does two things. Shields the surroundings (cab, wires, fuel lines, etc) from heat and it helps dissipate heat from the muffler.

You are simply not going to have to worry about that. Yes the flowmaster may be a thicker material, but it is not near the quality of material that the Magnaflow is. Stainless is much more resistant to burning or rotting out. And if for some reason it does the Magnaflow has a lifetime warranty, they will replace it.

Flowmasters are actually lower quality mufflers then the stock piece that come on todays trucks. Not to mention Flowmasters are anything but "flowmasters". They actually flow like crap, but they sound good.

The magnaflow has a lifetime warranty on all parts ( minus a mechanical issue with the motor ). Your motor ( heat wise ) would have to reach upwards of 2 thousand degress ( running extremely rich) for that magnaflow muffler to basically destroy outside of its life. But in any case you would know after a few days how hot it would get just by looking at the SS muffler. If it turns purple, you have an issue.... lol.

Youll be fine. Magnaflow makes a great product and i install them on customers cars every day. I also have used them on every vehicle ive owned. I work for an exhaust shop if my oppinion matters at all. FWIW. Best of luck to you.

PS: The magnaflow is wraped several times with a sheet of SS. It is pretty thick..

Archived