Bed Rail Caps

I really would like to put these on my truck but have been told that they wear off the paint underneath from shifting and what not.

What do you guys think about bed rail caps? how do you prevent them from moving at all?

anything else please feel free to enlighten me

thanks

I'm a big fan of the Linex option. When you get the Linex bed liner sprayed in, for an extra $50, they'll go over the edge of the bed for you in place of bed rails. I got it on my truck and I like it, but some people prefer the add-on rails. I guess it all depends on preference. However, stealthxl is right - with the double-sided tape on, they won't move.

The factory plastic rail caps are slippery as a greased bear sh!t when you're trying to put stuff like saddles and hay in the bed and stepping on the rails with cowboy boots. If you're just going for looks, my 2 cents is; skip them, I like a bare, clean look. For function, the spray-on liners over the rail seem like a great solution.

The factory plastic rail caps are slippery as a greased bear sh!t when you're trying to put stuff like saddles and hay in the bed and stepping on the rails with cowboy boots. If you're just going for looks, my 2 cents is; skip them, I like a bare, clean look. For function, the spray-on liners over the rail seem like a great solution.

I do alot of outdoors activities, quads camping etc

although i dont use the bed for the quad bc i have a trailer but im worried about everyone alwasy leaning in the bed and lifting things over the side. Me i ALWAYS go in and out from the tailgate, i never lift anything from the side bc i dont want to scratch my truck.

So for me the caps would be for more protection than anything, i wont be standing on them either after you siding they are slippery.

I kinda jumped the gun and ordered them last night but thats no biggie i could always sell them if i change my mind.

I'd say get the bed rails and skip the cowboy boots

if you happen to get the caps without the tape you could add it. but in the past i have used a bead of clear silicone underneath the bed cap itself. it has worked well for me. i still add the screws just 3 on top. alot of people dont like the screws on top and use them on the sides but this is where the movement comes from. also, careful installation goes a long way. when installing, pay close attention to where the sharp edge touches paint, and if neccessary, use some pliers to slightly bend that part up and you wont have any problems. i like the sprayed on approach, but have seen some issues with peeling on older models that didnt look so good, and some brands of liners clean better than others, while some appear to fade. the plastic caps in my experience either cracks, comes unstuck or shifts, or just fades. like spurshot said they can get very slick so BEWARE!

The caps are held in place with double sided tape and do not move around. They won't scratch the paint.

I put the factory rail caps on my truck.....they came loose after some time and I pulled them off, they did rub into the clear coat....will never make that mistake again.

The caps are held in place with double sided tape and do not move around. They won't scratch the paint.

I put the factory rail caps on my truck.....they came loose after some time and I pulled them off, they did rub into the clear coat....will never make that mistake again.

What did you do after you took them off?

did you go a different route?

thanks

What did you do after you took them off?

did you go a different route?

thanks

I left the POS things off and and had the rub marks buffed out....

My truck had some on when I bought it used but they must have been poorly installed because every morning when it was cool outside they would be flapping around on both ends, one morning going to work I look in my mirror and one is almost standing straight up. I took them off and they had scratched the top of my fenders where the lip came over but after they were off, the truck didnt look as good IMO. So after days of careful tape and goo removal and extensive prep work I reinstalled them using the 3M double sided tape. Since then they have not been loose at all and I highly doubt they are doing anything to the paint because they no longer move at all.

Same here. I used the plastic caps once. After several years the damage was apparent.

Nothing but Line-X now.

Same here. I used the plastic caps once. After several years the damage was apparent.

Nothing but Line-X now.

+1. Tried the plastic ones once on my 03........once. I had the spray on liner put on my 07 and wouldn't do it any other way.

Archived