2005 Silverado Rear Axle / Brake Swap

ecbert

I have a 2005 Silverado crew cab 4x4 with the much argued over rear drum brakes. I also have a 2001 Silverado truck that I'm going to trade in here shortly BUT I'd like to swap the rear drums out of my 2005 and into the 2001 because I like the rear disc brakes MUCH better. Does anyone see any problems with this or do I need to swap other components as well? I'll have to change the whole differential from one to another becuase the housings are different where the backing plates bolt on but other than that, it looks like a bolt in. They both have the same gear ratio.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a 2005 Silverado crew cab 4x4 with the much argued over rear drum brakes. I also have a 2001 Silverado truck that I'm going to trade in here shortly BUT I'd like to swap the rear drums out of my 2005 and into the 2001 because I like the rear disc brakes MUCH better. Does anyone see any problems with this or do I need to swap other components as well? I'll have to change the whole differential from one to another becuase the housings are different where the backing plates bolt on but other than that, it looks like a bolt in. They both have the same gear ratio.

Don't know what to tell you... I have a 2005 and thats one swap I will NEVER be doing.

Rear brakes only account for around 30% of your stopping power.

Did you guys even read my post? I need to know if anyone else has done it and if it worked or what they had to change, in addition to the rear end. I'm not interested in opinions on pedal feel or other impending doomisms.

I have a 2001 truck with RR disc, I know what the parking brake feels like. My 2001 has never had a problem with the pedal feel nor a parking brake issue - most likely becuase I know not to leave it applied and try to drive the vehicle. My wifes 2004 Tahoe has RR disc also and I like the way they both stop over the old school drum brakes.

Did you guys even read my post? I need to know if anyone else has done it and if it worked or what they had to change, in addition to the rear end. I'm not interested in opinions on pedal feel or other impending doomisms.
:confused:

Well....alrighty then. You gotta quit holding back, man.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this mod. Good luck though.

I have a 2001 truck with RR disc, I know what the parking brake feels like. My 2001 has never had a problem with the pedal feel nor a parking brake issue - most likely becuase I know not to leave it applied and try to drive the vehicle. My wifes 2004 Tahoe has RR disc also and I like the way they both stop over the old school drum brakes.

I am not sure what is involved, but I say go for it!! I will NEVER have rear drums ever again!!

Some thoughts: Do they both have abs / non-abs? You will have to change the proportioning valves (both should be electronically operated and mounted on the frame by the drivers seat) between the two as well, assuming that they are controlled electronically the same. If not, you will be into a reprogramming issue with the brake controllers. You will have an easier time going to the yard and getting parts from a truck that already has disc brakes. I think in the end this swap will end up in a costly mistake that could jeopardize the safety of both vehicles. Good luck.

In addition to the axle and assoiciated hardware/lines/cables. You will need to swap the Proportioning valve and booster/master cylinder assembly. The master cylinder for disk brakes is a different size, and the proportioning valve is set up differently I believe.

I swapped drums to disk on my 68 C-10 and it really was not that bad, just have to get all the stuff located before you begin. In your case if you have the two trucks sitting next to each other it should not be a problem.

One other thing to look out for is the ABS set up. The computers might not like each other.

Archived