04 Gmc 2500hd Extendable Mirrors

I bought a 04 2500hd sierra SLE with power mirrors. When I bought it, they told me that the mirrors that were on there came on the SLT series because they were power extending, but that the extending part of it didnt work. I took off the switch because one mirror was all the way out and the other one wasnt. I grabbed some speaker wire and hooked it to the battery and found on the harness which contact made them go in and out and was able to get power to the mirror to make it go back in.

I called GM to see if I could get the SLT switch or something to make it work and they said it wont work and I need the harness. I would think I already have the harness because I was able to get power to the mirror to make it go back in. I walked by and SLT Sierra today and it looks like the same power switch that I have for the mirrors, the regular black on that pushes in the middle, but it doesnt work. Anyone know how to get this to work? I would like the power extending mirrors to work if I can. I dont want to have to get the manual extending unless I have to. The GM guy said something about the body control module.

any suggestions would be awesome.

Is it both that wont move? I had an 05 sierra w/ those mirrors and it just took a good smack every once and a while and it would work fine again. Loose connection??

The problem is the dealer said that it wasnt offered in 04 and thats why its not working. He said it also didnt have the harness. I think the guy put on the mirrors, changed the harness, and it still didnt work so he gave up, or he did the same thing just to extend one side. I took out the switch and the mirrors themselves are working fine because the blinker works and everything is plugged in. I just didnt know if anyone else had an idea on how to get them to work, or if they are just not compatible with the year. The guy @ gm said that even if I get a different my windows wouldnt work. Not sure why but im trying to figure this thing out. I need to tow soon and these are expensive mirrors that I would like to work. The harness is correct because like I said I hooked a battery with some wire and paper clips and got it to suck back in. But the actual switch doesnt work. I push down on the middle of the switch and to the left or right with the mirror selected and all it does is move the actual mirror.

The switch is all just the black switch with nothing in the middle. I have seen the suburbans and yukons with a switch with a picture in the middle for the mirrors.

Anyone else?

Is it both that wont move? I had an 05 sierra w/ those mirrors and it just took a good smack every once and a while and it would work fine again. Loose connection??

The problem is the dealer said that it wasnt offered in 04 and thats why its not working. He said it also didnt have the harness. I think the guy put on the mirrors, changed the harness, and it still didnt work so he gave up, or he did the same thing just to extend one side. I took out the switch and the mirrors themselves are working fine because the blinker works and everything is plugged in. I just didnt know if anyone else had an idea on how to get them to work, or if they are just not compatible with the year. The guy @ gm said that even if I get a different my windows wouldnt work. Not sure why but im trying to figure this thing out. I need to tow soon and these are expensive mirrors that I would like to work. The harness is correct because like I said I hooked a battery with some wire and paper clips and got it to suck back in. But the actual switch doesnt work. I push down on the middle of the switch and to the left or right with the mirror selected and all it does is move the actual mirror.

The switch is all just the black switch with nothing in the middle. I have seen the suburbans and yukons with a switch with a picture in the middle for the mirrors.

Anyone else?

The dealer is wrong. The power extending mirrors became available in 03'. I know this because I owned one. The harness is the same for all of the mirrors, but like you said the switch is different. The way to extend them is to put the "L R" rocker switch to the middle (no power mirror control) and use the directional button to the left to extend and to the right to retract. If the rocker is in the "L" or "R" position, it controls the mirror itself (obviously you know this). Pushing straight down on the directional paddle does nothing. On my switch when the rocker was in the neutral position, the little mirror icon would light up on the paddle, indicating the directional control paddle was to extend and retract. You can try it, but I'm sure without the right control paddle/switch, you will get nothing. You probably just need to change the controller. Good luck.

Ok so I called some junk yards and NO one has a switch. The problem is GM wont help me. I know all the GM guys are gonna hate me but at least when I had to call Ford for a part, I got what I wanted whether it came stock on the truck or not. They only go by VIN #'s and they cant tell me what the other switch for the tow package option is because it wasnt included with my VIN. Does anyone have a part # for the switch? I think its the switch that glows orange in the middle when you want to extend in and out. If anyone has this, or if anyone is willing to give me their VIN number that does have this option that would be awesome. These are expensive mirrors and im just trying to get them to work. If I put a switch on and it doesnt work, then so be it, at least I tried and I will go buy some manual externdable mirrors, like the super duty ones.

Thanks guys.

Matt,

The way the extending mirrors work is to have the selector for which mirror you are trying to control set in the middle. At that point, the center of the mirror adjuster rocker (the one you use to adjust the aim of the mirrors) should light up with a crappy picture, then you use that same rocker that you'd use to adjust the mirror aim, but rock it left for extend and right for retract. There's no pushing on the center like you mentioned in one of your posts.

The mirrors go in/out together if they're working right.

Rat4Go

Ok so I called some junk yards and NO one has a switch. The problem is GM wont help me. I know all the GM guys are gonna hate me but at least when I had to call Ford for a part, I got what I wanted whether it came stock on the truck or not. They only go by VIN #'s and they cant tell me what the other switch for the tow package option is because it wasnt included with my VIN. Does anyone have a part # for the switch? I think its the switch that glows orange in the middle when you want to extend in and out. If anyone has this, or if anyone is willing to give me their VIN number that does have this option that would be awesome. These are expensive mirrors and im just trying to get them to work. If I put a switch on and it doesnt work, then so be it, at least I tried and I will go buy some manual externdable mirrors, like the super duty ones.

Thanks guys.

Lol, find another truck in a random parking lot that has the extendable mirrors....take the vin off their windshield and use that. Bingo.

Can anyone tell me is par # 15883318 is the part I need and if there is anything else I need to do to get the mirrors to work?

Doublecheck that the mirror selector switch is centered before you spend the $ on a new switch, but if you decide a new switch is in order......

For 2003-2004 trucks with power extending mirrors (RPO DPF), the switch P/N looks to be 15883320. The PN you list is for trucks with less fancy mirrors (base without power fold/extend if I read the codes correctly).

Check your RPO listing in glove box to see if the mirrors were original on the truck (again, look for DPF on the list)

Can anyone tell me is par # 15883318 is the part I need and if there is anything else I need to do to get the mirrors to work?

Doublecheck that the mirror selector switch is centered before you spend the $ on a new switch, but if you decide a new switch is in order......

For 2003-2004 trucks with power extending mirrors (RPO DPF), the switch P/N looks to be 15883320. The PN you list is for trucks with less fancy mirrors (base without power fold/extend if I read the codes correctly).

Check your RPO listing in glove box to see if the mirrors were original on the truck (again, look for DPF on the list)

Found a guy on ebay that has some switches. Used switch with the one the has the power extending for the 04 for $25 bucks. Sweet deal. I also called GM and spoke to someone who did the same thing to his 1500and they said they can Tech 2 the body control module and it should work. Will try the switch, if that doesnt work will have GM reflash and see. Will let you guys know.

DPF was also listed on the glove box, but didnt see RPO...So what does that mean?

Thanks,

DPF Mirrors, outside rearview, power adjustable, heated, camper-style,

DPF Mirrors, outside rearview, power, heated, camper-style

DPF Mirrors, outside rearview

DPF MIRROR O/S LH & RH, WIDE LOAD, REMOTE CONTROL, ELECTRIC, HEATED

I have a call into GM to see which one I have. If I dont have the first one, I will have them flash the truck with the tech 2 programmer to tell I have those mirrors. I will try to see if the new switch works first.

I also found out from GM that I have DPF Mirrors, outside rearview, power, heated, camper-style

I made an apt to get them to flash using the tech 2 to tell my truck it has the power ext. mirrors. But why would one go out, not back in, and the passanger side not even move? They do have power because I can move the glass. Does something else control the extending part? Am I missing a harness or something?

Archived