How To Carry 16ft Decking On A Shortbed Truck?

OK I need to pickup some new 16ft composite decking at Lowes about 2 miles away. My problem is I have a shortbed pickup with no ladder racks. What I need is a trailer but I don't have one.Has anyone been able to carry 16ft decking or planks on there truck safely? How did you do it???????????

I personally have done it this way.

Open the hood.

Anchor some rope inside the engine compartment.

Let the loose ends hang over the passenger fender.

Close the hood.

At the tailgate area, tie some rope.

Park the lumber cart along the passenger side of the truck.

Tie the boards with the rope laying on the fender.

Tie the boards with the rope at the tailgate.

Adjust the ropes as needed.

The Composite decking is much more flexible than the PT wood. I would do one of the following (in order)

1. borrow, rent, buy a trailer

2. receiver hitch extension ( works well hauling 12' and 14' sheetrock )

3. Cut it to length.

4. have it delivered.

:thumbs: Stack it on the edge and tie all of the pieces together as tightly as possible without causing damage to form a single beam. Tie a rope at each bed pocket then run it to various points of the beam that hang over the tail gate. Drive slow!

How many are you buying? Just pay for delivery and be done with it. Or find somebody with a trailer and get them to haul it for you. I've had people ask me if I'd haul something for them when I have been at Lowes with my truck/trailer. If I have time, I'll do it for them for a few bucks. They load and unload though.

The Composite decking is much more flexible than the PT wood. I would do one of the following (in order)

1. borrow, rent, buy a trailer

2. receiver hitch extension ( works well hauling 12' and 14' sheetrock

3. Cut it to length.

4. have it delivered.

Couldnt have said it better myself!

If you do decide to just lay it in the truck bed and have it stick out 10 feet , i would highly recommend putting some 2x12's under it to give it strength as it will bow and scrape the ground...

You could try stacking it on side like mentioned, but that would be tough keeping it upright unless its really tight..

But in all honesty , I wanna say its $50 for homedepot to deliver (by me at least) and that is $$ well spent when you dont have to worry bout ti being damaged in shipment.... and if it is, its on them!

Archived