Aluminum Wheels Flaking...

So I am walking to my car this AM to drive to work, and do a double-take looking at my DS front wheel.

The "finish" around the hub appears to be "flaking" off.

Iinspection shows the same thing on the two rear wheels. The Pass Side front wheel looks ok (so far).... :rollin:

post-39527-1250199809_thumb.jpg

post-39527-1250199826_thumb.jpg

post-39527-1250199842_thumb.jpg

Looks like my first warranty visit to my dealer... I have heard/read here about some CHROME wheel flaking issues, but I don't think I recall seeing this issue with these particular wheels... These are the OEM 20" rims.

What could be causing this, and, IF they choose to replace them, who's to say it won't happen again? Truck is 2 years old, about 25,000 miles on the clock.

Is there a TSB possibly?

Yes I have the same issue and also have it flaking around the edge of the wheel too. I have had mine replaced twice already and I know after this winter I will be going on to my third set because they already are showing signs of flaking at the moment.

Sucks but they will cover it under warranty.

Yes I have the same issue and also have it flaking around the edge of the wheel too. I have had mine replaced twice already and I know after this winter I will be going on to my third set because they already are showing signs of flaking at the moment.

Sucks but they will cover it under warranty.

Wow... well, I guess it's off to the dealer on Saturday. On your THIRD SET?

Wow, you'd think they would come up with a solution... :eek:

Happy to hear that you had no issues. I suspect I'll have a similiar experience---my dealer is top notch.

BTW, what kinda tires are those? (NEVER MIND.... read your sig :rollin: ) :lol:

What part of the warranty would this fall under? 3yr/36k? if so I am only 30k over that. Think they would replace mine?

I would assume that it is covered under 3/36.

My saying is... unless ya ask, you won't know..... :rollin:

It doesn't seem that this issue is driven by mileage... as you have an 07, maybe they would listen to you.....(?)

I have the same problem on my 07 Classic Silverado Z71. The rims are starting to "spider" underneath the clearcoat from the edges on the spokes and pit on the edge of the rim. They are the 17 inch polished aluminum.....Also, the chrome on the grille is starting to oxidize and show spots....

I've noticed these symptoms just after 2 years of ownership with 40k miles....My dealer will not cover this. Apparently my 75k bumper to bumper warranty doesn't cover this either. I took this issue to GM customer service and they will do nothing either. I am now going to the BBB with this.....

I could understand after maybe 8 years it doing something like this but not after 2. I am very disappointed... :rollin:

I ve seen them on many different GM wheels including the Tahoe aluminum wheels. It must be the clear coat being eatin up by the salt. At least in my area. I think the painted ones are the only way to go for an all year round wheel in a harsh environment. I m sure they will replace them for you as it s such a common thing. Just wondering if anyone has seen any issues with the painted wheels??

I'm surprised that as many dealers have replaced these wheels. Seems like they'd call it wear-n-tear. I think the mode that is causing it is a small stone nick or lifting of the hubcap that breaches the clearcoat and then moisture intrusion from there starts the corrosion process. The "spidering" is classic aluminum corrosion under coatings.

Archived