Articles

Articles

Articles

VW Head Quits - Chevy Cruze Only Affordable Diesel Car In US

Gorehamj
  • John Goreham
    Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
    9/23/2015
    Martin Winterkorn, the head of Volkswagen, the world's largest automaker by sales volume quit today. Winterkorn, an engineer known as a micromanager said “As CEO I accept responsibility for the irregularities that have been found in diesel engines and have therefore requested the Supervisory Board to agree on terminating my function as CEO of the Volkswagen Group. I am doing this in the interests of the company even though I am not aware of any wrongdoing on my part.” VW has suspended sales of its affected diesel cars in the U.S. market. Although many journalists have expressed the opinion that VW is "owning up to" the widespread emissions cheating, that is debatable. Researchers in Europe were on to the cheating as far back as 2011. In the U.S. when the EPA confronted VW about the mismatch between road observable NOx emissions and the output during emissions testing sessions, VW stonewalled. It took the threat by EPA of not approving VW's 2016 models for sale to get VW to admit it had cheated.

The 2015 Chevy Cruze diesel is the last affordable family car in the U.S. with a diesel powerplant. Chevy has not announced details on a 2016 and the EPA has not certified it yet. The Cruze offers good drivability, but its fuel economy rating is only average for the class at 33 MPG combined. The gasoline Cruze Diesel Eco matches that number. The Toyota Corolla LE Eco earns a 35 MPG rating, which we exceeded in our testing of the car. Most of the top sellers in the affordable compact sedan and hatchback class can match the combined EPA rating of Chevy and VW's diesel cars.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.