Articles

Articles

Articles

GM Strike Averted - UAW Wins "Significant Wage Gains and Job Secur

Gorehamj
  • John Goreham
    Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
    10/26/2015
    Shortly after the end of Sunday Night Football (11:43pm) last night, GM and the UAW came to an agreement that will boost wages for UAW members working at GM plants. The Detroit Free Press reports that the two-tiered wage system negotiated during the dark days in the mid-2K decade will be eliminated. That means that all UAW workers will eventually earn $29 per hour. Presently, UAW workers earn about $10 more per hour than non-union U.S. autoworkers. This new agreement will only add to that disparity.

UAW President Dennis Williams (shown in the blue sport coat in the image), commented on the agreement, saying “We believe that this agreement will present stable long-term significant wage gains and job security commitments to UAW members now and in the future. We look forward to presenting the details of these gains to local union leaders and the membership.” The agreement is expected to be the same as that which was recently struck with FCA US. The agreement will now be sent to the UAW membership for a vote.

Image note - Image is from the UAW media page.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

What I want to see is bring the plants back into the USA....regardless of wages (which could be a separate thread), shipping our manufacturing jobs to Mexico isn't working for our economy!

• Like 2

I see it as a good thing for moral in the plant because who want to make lees then the guy doing the same job next to you and trucks cost so much because people keep buying them not because of unions you can obviously afford it. But I would love to see all assembly be brought back to the U.S. That include the ones in Canada that's been there for 30 plus years

I see it as a good thing for moral in the plant because who want to make lees then the guy doing the same job next to you and trucks cost so much because people keep buying them not because of unions you can obviously afford it. But I would love to see all assembly be brought back to the U.S. That include the ones in Canada that's been there for 30 plus years

I'm not saying the union cause the ridiculous prices/increases. It will be the excuse GM uses though.

I'm not a "union guy", but I know from experience coporate likes to exaggerate wages into their "costs".

Look at Apple as an example. Saying crap like (not an exact quote)"But it would cost $15 more per phone to build in the USA!" Yeah, your phone already costs $800 but has $300 in parts and $5 in labor.

Edited by SnakeEyes

Look at Apple as an example. Saying crap like (not an exact quote)"But it would cost $15 more per phone to build in the USA!" Yeah, your phone already costs $800 but has $300 in parts and $5 in labor.

Big differenece in between phones and trucks - most of the car parts are made in Canada, USA, Mexico

All the parts in a phone are made in China. Makes more sense to have the phone factory there.

Big differenece in between phones and trucks - most of the car parts are made in Canada, USA, Mexico

All the parts in a phone are made in China. Makes more sense to have the phone factory there.

Where did you see me talk about auto manufacturing locations..... :???:

That wasn't my point. My point was blaming cost on labor. I never commented on where trucks are made.

Edited by SnakeEyes

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.