Extended Cab Vs Crew Cab

Hello everyone,

First post here!

Tomorrow I am going to look at two GMC 1500 trucks and hope to leave with one or the other.

One is an extended cab pro grade edition 4x4 sle 1 with the preferred package. The other is a crew cab z71 sle2. I am leaning toward the extended cab at this point since it is about 4k cheaper.

Does anyone have any input on whether or not you think I will regret this. I like the looks of an extended cab and my wife and I don't have any children yet. I did a search and couldn't find much info.

Also, it seems the red tag price is as low as the dealer is willing to go. Anyone buy one that has gotten it lower? I was looking at this truck before this round of incentives came out and it is cheaper now.

Thanks in advance.

If your looking at new #1500 series the EXT cab is a true 1/2 T and has a 6' box where as the crew cab is on a #2500 frame and has a shorter box. Fuel economy is better in the #1500.

Thanks for the reply...I didn't know the #1500 crew was on a #2500 frame.

Both of these trucks are '08 left on the lot.

Really depends on whether you NEED 4 doors and a larger rear seat. I like the Excab with the regular bed myself. If the 1500 Crewcab came with the 6 footer, I'd like it better. For the sake of ride and fuel economy, I'd choose a 1500 if you don't need to tow and haul a lot regularly.

Do a search, we've had some pretty in-depth (and sometimes heated) discussions about this already.

I need the extra room in the bed, and there's still enough room for people in the ext. cab. And before anybody tells me to get an HD if I need the extra room in the bed, I'm hauling music equipment, which basically a bunch of hollow wooden boxes with speakers in them, so it's not that heavy, just big. And without those extra 9"-10" I wouldn't be able to fit everything I need to (3-4 speaker cabinets, 3 amp heads, 2 congas, 2 guitars and a bass, and sometime PA speakers and a PA head).

I'm not sure how anyone can answer this for you.

I have a 95 with extended cab and a 08 with a crew cab.

Each comes with advantages/disadvantages.

i.e. The 95 is great for going to the dump. The 08 is great for Best Buy when I need to have things locked up.

Pick your poison. :thumbs:

I can speak from the kids standpoint, and have owned both XC and CC. If you plan on having kids while you own the truck, hands down CC. The suicide doors on the XC make it difficult for passengers to get in and out in a parking lot. Assuming bed length isn't an issue to you.

We looked at both option as well when we were getting a truck and ended up with the extended cab with the 6.6 foot bx. I wanted the longer box and not having rug rats, the choice was simple. The extended cab does offer a fair amount of room for passengers, and is comfortable. But it is a personal choice on what you want from the truck. For me, it was the longer bed over a larger cab. And I have never regretted the decision I made.

Cheers.

We looked at both option as well when we were getting a truck and ended up with the extended cab with the 6.6 foot bx. I wanted the longer box and not having rug rats, the choice was simple. The extended cab does offer a fair amount of room for passengers, and is comfortable. But it is a personal choice on what you want from the truck. For me, it was the longer bed over a larger cab. And I have never regretted the decision I made.

Cheers.

I think that sums it up there. We all have our reasons for what we got. And if you (the OP) felt strongly about four full doors or a longer box, he wouldn't be asking in the first place! :lol:

I got the crew cab for the extra cabin space. I don't (can't) pull a 5th wheel, I don't put a Quad in the back either. :thumbs: But my truck is kinda a car on steroids. I mean 85% of the time, it's just my commuter vehicle. We use it to run errands, grocery stores and such. My 5'9" box holds what I need it to.

In your situation, if you don't need the Crew, it may be hard to argue with $4k. But to be fair, it is optioned higher.

I didn't know the 1500 crew cab sat on the 2500 frame. It's a no brainer, get the crew cab.

It doesn't....not on the GMT900's anyway.

What about the GMT800 crew cabs? I know that the running gear such as the rear axle is the same as in any other 1500 pickup.

As long as it isn't a 2500 HD crew cab with a long (8ft) bed, I would say either one is OK. Those really long wheelbase trucks are not much fun in a parking lot. I occasionally drive one of those at work and often need to back up into a parking space, and then it sticks out about 3 ft from other normal size vehicles.

A 1500 crew cab has a smaller gas tank than the extended cab. I think the crew cab gas tank capacity is about 19 gallons, vs 25 gallons for the extended cab.

I didn't know the 1500 crew cab sat on the 2500 frame. It's a no brainer, get the crew cab.

It doesn't....not on the GMT900's anyway.

What about the GMT800 crew cabs? I know that the running gear such as the rear axle is the same as in any other 1500 pickup.

Not unless its a 1500HD,Those are on 2500 frames,If its a 1500 crew-cab...its a 1/2-ton on a 1500 frame.

Archived