factory OIL in a 2016 2500HD 6.0L ??

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of 2015 HD 6.0 they went to Full Synthetic ...0/20 Full Syn ... (2014 1500's)

I don't think you'll find a Syn blend in that weight

Frequently Asked Questions About dexos1™ 0W20 Engine Oil

Question: Why dexos1™ 0W20 engine oil?

Answer: The new 5.3L and 6.2L V8 EcoTec3 engines available in the completely redesigned 2014 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 pickup trucks are the most fuel efficient and technologically advanced engines in the market.

These engines utilize an advanced combustion system that maximizes the potential of the direct injection (DI) fuel system, active fuel management (AFM), variable valve timing (VVT), two stage oil pumps and other technologies. The dexos1™ 0W20 oil supports these technologies and is an enabler for the improved fuel economy performance that is exhibited in these products.

Question: Are other automobile manufacturers recommending 0W20 engine oil for their products?

Answer: Some other manufacturers are already recommending 0W20 engine oil for their products. General Motors expects this to become an industry trend and more automobile manufacturers will be recommending the use of 0W20 engine oil in the future.

Question: What do the numbers 0W20 represent?

Answer: 0W20 represents the standard SAE measurement of oil viscosity. Viscosity is a measurement of the oil’s resistance to flow. The more resistant the oil is to flow, the higher its viscosity

Question: If dexos1™ 0W20 oil is recommended for my vehicle’s engine, do I have to use it?

Answer: Yes. As an example, the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 EcoTec3 engines available in the 2014 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 pickup trucks, were designed, engineered, validated and EPA certified using dexos1™ 0W20 oil. This is the ONLY oil approved for these engines.

Question: What if the engine Is low on oil and dexos1™ 0W20 oil is not available to top off the oil level?

Answer: There are many different retailers nationwide that sell GM licensed oil products that meet the dexos1™ specification. Refer to the first section in this Bulletin: dexos 1™ and dexos 2™ Information Website

If you are unable to locate a retailer, then a GF5 Synthetic grade 0W20 oil that meets the dexos1™ specification, such as Mobil 1™ 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy synthetic oil can be used. It meets or exceeds International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) GF-5 requirements.

Question: Can another oil such as 5W30 that is cheaper and more widely available be used in place of dexos1™ 0W20 oil?

Answer: No. The 5.3L and 6.2L V8 EcoTec3 engines available in the 2014 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 pickup trucks were designed, engineered and validated to run using dexos1™ 0W20 oil. This is the ONLY oil approved for these engines.

Question: What if a different viscosity oil is added to the engine other than dexos1™ 0W20 oil?

Answer: If a different viscosity oil is added to the engine other than dexos1™ 0W20 oil, GM recommends that an oil change be performed as soon as practical, but no longer than the next scheduled oil change. in order to return the engine to the original dexos1™ 0W20 oil factory requirements.

Question: Will using a different viscosity oil other than what is recommended damage the engine?

Answer: It is not possible to comment on every type and viscosity of oil that is available. Some higher viscosity oils may impact engine and fuel economy performance. Likewise for example, using a lower viscosity oil in an engine that requires 5W30 oil may not provide appropriate lubrication and may impact engine and fuel economy performance.

Always follow GM recommendations and only use the oil specified in the GM Service Manual and/or the GM Owner Manual for the appropriate Model Year/Vehicle/Engine.

The 2011 to 2016 Generation 1 Dexos1 is a synthetic blend. GM is superseding the Gen 1 with the new Generation 2 Dexos1 oils. The Gen 2 oils are full synthetic, and replace all of the Dexos1 generation 1 oils. Every dealer should have it in 5w30 already, and they are switching the 0w20 at the moment.

As of 2015 HD 6.0 they went to Full Synthetic ...0/20 Full Syn ... (2014 1500's)

I don't think you'll find a Syn blend in that weight

6.0 has and is still 5w30. 0w20 is a 5.3 and 6.2 truck thing only. Factory fill on a 2016 will be Dexos1 Generation 1 oil so synthetic blend. Dexos1 Gen 2 is full synthetic and replaces the Gen 1 spec.

Does the factory use conventional oil or synthetic at the factory?

Got a 2016 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0 gas. Nearing its first oil change soon.

See my other post above this. 5w30 synthetic blend. GM factory fill oil for a 2016 would have been ACDelco Dexos 5w30 synthetic blend. It has been replaced by Gen 2 Dexos1 spec which is now full synthetic.

6.0 has and is still 5w30. Factory fill on a 2016 will be Dexos1 Generation 1 oil so synthetic blend. Dexos1 Gen 2 is full synthetic and replaces the Gen 1 spec.

ok

My error

actually my dealer miss led me when I asked just last month ... told me my truck needs 0w20 full syn - he was sort of right though not correct on the oem original ... +-

My owners manual says to use 5W30 in Dexos Synthetic Blend or better. I am also near my first oil change. I will be using full synthetic. I can buy it for $11.00 a gallon when I buy a 16 gallon keg.

so 0w20 to me seems a little thin for a work truck whos engine gets a good workout.

So I'll go the route of the heavier oil, the 5w30

I'm all for full synthetic.

Now this Gen 1 and 2 Dexos?? Not sure of the difference.

I generally use Mobil 1 full synthetic. Any issues with Mobil 1?

The first oil change was completed yesterday. 4500kms. I pickup oil when it is on sale, this time it's Castrol full synthetic. The Castrol comes in 5 litre jugs. I like the fact the truck takes 6 quarts , my wife's car takes 4 so if I buy 2 jugs of Castrol I can do both the truck and her car. Luckily their both 5w30. For some reason Mobil 1 comes in 4.4 litre jugs and the 1 litre bottles don't go on sale this makes it difficult and expensive to use.

Something to look out for- I did notice that the grease boots seemed empty, I just add enough grease to just barely see the boot move. The lower ball joints took a few pumps each and looked collapsed before hand. I suggest having a look at yours, I wished I did earlier. Everything else was good.

The first oil change was completed yesterday. 4500kms. I pickup oil when it is on sale, this time it's Castrol full synthetic. The Castrol comes in 5 litre jugs. I like the fact the truck takes 6 quarts , my wife's car takes 4 so if I buy 2 jugs of Castrol I can do both the truck and her car. Luckily their both 5w30. For some reason Mobil 1 comes in 4.4 litre jugs and the 1 litre bottles don't go on sale this makes it difficult and expensive to use.

Something to look out for- I did notice that the grease boots seemed empty, I just add enough grease to just barely see the boot move. The lower ball joints took a few pumps each and looked collapsed before hand. I suggest having a look at yours, I wished I did earlier. Everything else was good.

yea, I dont think Hendrick greased the front end on mine either. I greased it up

Thanks for the tip, I'll crawl underneath the next dry day & check that out.

yea, I dont think Hendrick greased the front end on mine either. I greased it up

I doubt greasing the suspension is part of the PDI routine.

You should get a free oil change at the dealer....

But use a dexos approved oil- google is your friend look it up

Archived