l83 turbo, no intercooler with e85?

I was wondering if anyone on the forum had experience with these new direct injection engines and boost. I'm in the middle of a turbo l83 sierra project and was contemplating an intercooler. Reason being is from the research I've done the stock camshaft fuel lobe will only support so much hp and a lot of people are only running 5-8 psi. So with such low boost and hp not being crazy (high 400s from what I've seen) is anybody leaving the intercooler out of it if ran on e85? Any help is appreciated.

For the record I'm not opposed to running an intercooler I'm just tossing around ideas. Here's a pic of how it looks mounted. I will get more pics tomorrow of the manifold but it's a "log" style.

post-150876-0-50820400-1452912655_thumb.jpg

Only real way to tell would be to log the IATs and see how high they are, but I think it would be a good idea to have the intercooler.

Did you make your manifold? If so, where did you source the flange that bolts to the motor? I'm gearing up to begin fabbing my own manifold for my L86 (just needs to get warmer outside), but have only found 1 place with flanges for sales...and they were like $180 for a set of 2 :/

There is basically no single turbo setups with pictures and everything from what I can tell on the L83/86 motors, so you better be taking LOTS of a pictures. I'm very curious to see the fitment of the turbo because it doesn't look like you moved anything at all. What model turbo is that?

EDIT: Most of my questions were answered on LS1Tech, but I still say you better be taking a lot of pictures! :)

Doesn't an inter cooler inherently cool the air entering the engine which is what we are trying to do? Cool the incoming air charge? Not up on my boost tech that is why I ask

Yes you are right it cools the intake charge. But e85 fuel does a great job of controlling detonation, iat's ect. But not all the time. Main reason I ask is because the compression on these motors are higher then the previous years so that greatly increases chances of something going wrong with high iat's.

I have since made the decision to run a intercooler I'm just waiting for some parts to come in.

Only real way to tell would be to log the IATs and see how high they are, but I think it would be a good idea to have the intercooler.Did you make your manifold? If so, where did you source the flange that bolts to the motor? I'm gearing up to begin fabbing my own manifold for my L86 (just needs to get warmer outside), but have only found 1 place with flanges for sales...and they were like $180 for a set of 2 :/There is basically no single turbo setups with pictures and everything from what I can tell on the L83/86 motors, so you better be taking LOTS of a pictures. I'm very curious to see the fitment of the turbo because it doesn't look like you moved anything at all. What model turbo is that?EDIT: Most of my questions were answered on LS1Tech, but I still say you better be taking a lot of pictures! :)

I'll have pics and all the info on what's involved in this in the morning, just have to get ahold of someone on here first ?

I know just enough to be dangerous, but I thought I read something about using E85 like water/methanol fogged into the air stream to cool the charge. If you're running E85 anyway, might be an easy way to skip having an intercooler.

If that doesn't work then water/methanol/boost juice or whatever it is called could be a solution.

Yes you are right it cools the intake charge. But e85 fuel does a great job of controlling detonation, iat's ect. But not all the time. Main reason I ask is because the compression on these motors are higher then the previous years so that greatly increases chances of something going wrong with high iat's.

I have since made the decision to run a intercooler I'm just waiting for some parts to come in.

I think an intercooler coupled with e85 will provide maximum chill on the air charge. the colder you can get the air in the better. Really dense air (cold) is what we all shoot for!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys just thought I'd update this thread. Truck is about finished and ready for a tune just waiting on the weather to break by me and it's off to the dyno. Couple pics of how it's laid out.

Looks good!!!

What numbers are you hoping for?

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

Looks good!!!

What numbers are you hoping for?

For now high 400s would be nice. But I've already got a custom turbo cam on the shelf. This spring I'm gonna slap it in with a t4 s475 and shoot for 700.

For now high 400s would be nice. But I've already got a custom turbo cam on the shelf. This spring I'm gonna slap it in with a t4 s475 and shoot for 700.

Anything over 450ish with forced induction you will need a cam with a more agressive fuel lobe so that you don't starve the engine.

Wonder when the injectors hit the wall.

Anything over 450ish with forced induction you will need a cam with a more agressive fuel lobe so that you don't starve the engine.

Wonder when the injectors hit the wall.

Although that's just from what I've seen. I believe fast lane did one that made 470? Either way the cam does have me worried so to be completley honest I'll be happy with whatever it does lol. Thanks for the compliment by the way!

Although that's just from what I've seen. I believe fast lane did one that made 470? Either way the cam does have me worried so to be completley honest I'll be happy with whatever it does lol. Thanks for the compliment by the way!

Livernois made close to 600 on a 5.3 with a cam and a whipple so you should be fine

Archived