Cooper Zeon LTZ review

GM_driver

With 35,000 miles on these Coopers it was time to replace them today before winter comes a' knockin'. They were 275/60/20.

gallery_38002_2619_2553485.jpg

gallery_38002_2619_1368614.jpg

Traction:

New, these tires had fair traction in all conditions including mud and snow. Traction in wet conditions was always solid. Never any hydroplaning or slipping. Snow traction quickly deteriorated as the tread wore down. Mud traction was slightly better than snow traction. In the end after 30000+ miles there is no snow traction.

Tread wear:

Started with 14/32". Ended with average of about 5/32" after 35k miles. tread wear was even, tires were rotated every 6000 miles. The center of the tread in the rear tires would were out faster than the edges, indicating over-pressurization even though I was running 35psi. I did not feel comfortable going lower than that. Tread wears down fast, as mentioned above I only got 35,000 miles out of these. They would not last another winter but if snow was not an issue you could get another 3k-5k miles out of them I suspect.

Noise:

Very quiet when new. As the tread wears, noise increases as with most tires but nothing that is deafening. At 30,000 miles a noticeable hum/buzz comes from the tires at 40-50 mph. Noise is acceptable at all other speeds.

Ride:

Always a soft tire providing a smooth ride. These were rated Extra Load.

Clearance:

These are 275/60/R20. So, 33" diameter and 10.8" width. Wheels are 18mm offset. Required 1.25" body lift and 2" level to provide complete clearance. Note; mud flap is 3/8" thick and still no rubbing under normal suspension travel. Slight rub under extreme suspension travel when tire is turning.

Summary:

Poor snow traction, Marginal mud traction, Good wet traction, Fast tread wear, Quiet, Always smooth, Always stable. Requires 3.25" lift for clearance with 18mm offset wheel.

Replaced them with Cooper AT3's

gallery_38002_2619_2255980.jpg

gallery_38002_2619_2258817.jpg

I had the same tires before I added my lift and such. I had 305/50/20 on 2" RC Leveling Kit.
Great looking tires for sure! But, they did wear out pretty fast. Only had about 35K miles on em.

Let us know you like the Cooper AT3's, thought about adding some on my Jeep XJ.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived