Turbocharger vs Supercharger

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I come from the diesel world and have always been a turbo guy vs supercharger.. Never really messed with them honestly. Still have my 671/1266 24v Cummins in the shop I can't let her go.. Never will. Anyways my dream/goal to go along with the street tune and CAI is long tube headers, high flow cats and a rear mount turbo. With the right specs (Inducer, Exducer, Trim and A/R) you'll have quick spool with minimal lag. Heres a vid of a 2014 Silverado with a engine bay mounted turbo making some damn good power to the ground-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a pretty nice-looking truck you have. What are the specifications on the build and what did it cost and who did the work? What was the horsepower gain from stock at the wheels? Thanks

Yea I looked that up. Which do you wanna go with? Supercharger or Turbo?

I haven't really decided on which way I am going to go, i've been doing some inquiring for the past two or three days and haven't found too many people that I have talked to that really like the turbo over the supercharge. I have had conversations with Callaway and I have had conversations with Lingenfelter. I have also talked to a few performance shops in the greater Toronto area and they all seem to like the idea of supercharging. So at this time I am probably going to go supercharge unless I find out some different information on turbo. But I will Keep on researching.

Go with a reputable shop around your place. A lot of different styles of superchargers. Shops probably wanna go TVS supercharger. Make sure you talk thorough about what you want with the shop. I would get a Pilar double gauge for boost and Air/ fuel.

Put a maggie in the valley!! Instant power!! Whipple!! One of the two!! I really like procharger the best because of less heat soak and waaaaay better IATs!! Hard to beat the instant boost of the twin screws or rotors but they do heat up pretty quick and lose alotta power with heat. Even my factory CTSV does it but the responsiveness is amazing!! However the procharger kit is only 4999.00 for new stingray and may be close to 5-5200 For truck version if they are out yet. If you were at track racing then Id say turbo but for daily I say deff supercharger. Self contained and easier to tune for a daily if you not your own tuner.

• 2 weeks later...

Put a maggie in the valley!! Instant power!! Whipple!! One of the two!! I really like procharger the best because of less heat soak and waaaaay better IATs!! Hard to beat the instant boost of the twin screws or rotors but they do heat up pretty quick and lose alotta power with heat. Even my factory CTSV does it but the responsiveness is amazing!! However the procharger kit is only 4999.00 for new stingray and may be close to 5-5200 For truck version if they are out yet. If you were at track racing then Id say turbo but for daily I say deff supercharger. Self contained and easier to tune for a daily if you not your own tuner.

I like the twin screw turbo, I've got a 2.0 ltr turbo (twin screw)20 PSI putting down 297 HP and 315 ft pounds of torque SAE smoothing 5. Throttle lag is not existent.

Post up some pics of that tein screw turbo Id love to see it!!! Esp a 2.0 ltr!! Id like to see a pic of that dyno graph torque curve too!!

Is this something new? I can't imagine this being effective. Unless it has a turbo belt on it as well. It's possible he is getting some information crossed I guess.

I really think the turbo vs supercharger question really boils down more to what you are doing with the truck. You mentioned towing and I assume this is a daily driver. That tells me supercharger. If you were building a dragstrip flat out speed vehicle, then turbo or a centrifugal supercharger. To move around a heavy beast daily your usable power is going to be roots style sc.

There is no reason what so ever that with a 6.2, headers and a 1900 with 8-10lbs boost you shouldn't see 600+ at the flywheel and it will be instant power.

With a 2300 there is even more potential, but you're getting into more boost and then we get into what are you wanting to do with it.

Do you have any mechanical skills? A Maggie is really pretty straight forward to install with a few tools 8-10 hrs time and a little guts.

Turbo, superchargers are parasitic and you'll get bored of it. Especially if you came from a diesel man. if I was you, Lookin to spend cash for some HP I would run a turbo. If it's set up properly you shouldn't have very much lag if any and it will make more power...I'm curious about your diesel since you mentioned it...if ur old trck was 550 I'm assuming it was making at least 1000ft-lbs. you may be disappointed in a maggy charger IMO

Archived