How do I make my exhaust louder?

I have dual Flowmasters on my truck (not true dual) and would like to make it louder. I have thought about several options, but what I have thought of so far has not been street legal. I would like to avoid any legal issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, I drive a 2006 Silverado.

Making it louder will probably run into legal problems. You can go with a single 3" with a Borla XR-1 muffler.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Wrong Section for this.

But anyhow, I'm assuming you have Flowmaster 40's? The Flowmaster 10 series would be louder, and only having one muffler would make it louder too. You can get single in double out for about the same cost as a single in/out. You could try Corsa or Borla, they sound great but will command a premium price. The Cherry Bomb Extreme is supposed to sound good too, if I wanted a louder sound I wouldn't hesitate to go with them since I've had good experiences with them in the past.

Apologies for being in the "wrong section." I do have 40s. I have considered headers or cleaning out my cats. However, they are welded on, so that stops that project. Headers was my next choice if possible. I like the idea of a complete system.

A lot of the 6.0 guys go with Pacesetter long tubes, cats, off road y-pipe, and an obnoxiously loud muffler like the Borla XR-1 race muffler or Dynomax bullets

Getting rid of the cats will definitely make it louder , but then you should have the truck tuned for the cats being gone. Go with long tubes if you do headers, the shortys are really not worth the price. Check 'stainless works'

If you have a single pipe running most of the way back, then a Y pipe somewhere behind the cab, then dual tail pipes with two mufflers, it's going to be pretty quiet. The cheapest option would be to just remove your mufflers and weld pipe in their place. You would have 'fake' straight pipes. I ran that setup on my 2000 for a while, until I could afford true duals. Another option would be to install a single in, dual out muffler and get rid of the Y pipe and current mufflers. If you have the money, then my choice would be true duals from the cats back, with free flowing mufflers, like glass packs or bullets.

If you have a single pipe running most of the way back, then a Y pipe somewhere behind the cab, then dual tail pipes with two mufflers, it's going to be pretty quiet. The cheapest option would be to just remove your mufflers and weld pipe in their place. You would have 'fake' straight pipes. I ran that setup on my 2000 for a while, until I could afford true duals. Another option would be to install a single in, dual out muffler and get rid of the Y pipe and current mufflers. If you have the money, then my choice would be true duals from the cats back, with free flowing mufflers, like glass packs or bullets.
or weld in a cut out at the y so you can pick muffler or no muffler!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

or weld in a cut out at the y so you can pick muffler or no muffler! Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, that would work too! I seem to always forget about cut-outs. I've never ran them, but I wonder how well they work. It would be nice to be able to choose the noise level.

Archived