General Motors’ Dexos1 Motor Oil Consumer Alert

From deleted post above... http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article002198947.cfm?x=b11,0,w One problam with that is...you don't have to buy Dexos oil from GM. There are a bunch of aftermarket companies selling it. http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands/dexos1licensedbrands.html The magnason moss act says they can't require the consumer to buy the product from them to keep the warranty in effect and if they do they have to provide it for free. As long as the oil is avaliavle from others besides GM this argument may be a stretch. The oil companies complaining just don't want to pay GM for the right to the license to produce the oil. Will they win...maybe, maybe not.

My question is, do the companies that are selling Dexos branded oil have to pay to use that name/logo? If so, then I have a problem paying for their licensing costs if GM is going to give us a hard time about any engine-oil related issues and tying it to non-branded oil.

Everyone that has the "DEXOS 1" logo/name on the oil container has paid to have it licensed by GM.

It doesn't matter what brand / type of oil you use, you DO NOT have to use oil with that logo on it. As long as the oil manufacturer states that it meets the dexos specifications.

The Magnason Moss Act mentioned above states the dealer/manufacturer of a product can not force you to buy a specific branded product to keep your warranty intact, (such as a GM licensed Dexos product.)

Taken from Amsoil Website:

“Do 2011 GM vehicle owners have to use a dexos-licensed product?” No. You can use any product that meets dexos specifications. They are not required to use a GM-licensed product. GM has chosen to grant licenses only to companies that pay them a substantial fee. Some oil companies have chosen to make a product that meets the same standards as a licensed product without adding an unnecessary administrative cost to the product that consumers would be forced to pay. So long as the oil manufacturer warrants that the motor oil meets dexos specifications, it’s acceptable to use it.

Federal law prohibits a manufacturer from requiring the use of a specific brand in order to maintain warranty coverage. The FTC recently issued a consumer alert to remind consumers that the automaker or dealer must prove a given product caused the need for repairs rather than denying warranty coverage on the basis of the product simply being used.

It is also worth noting that GM itself has acknowledged alternative engine oils may be used if dexos is unavailable. Owners manuals for 2011 GM cars state: “In the event that dexos-approved engine oil is not available at an oil change or for maintaining proper oil level, you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W30 viscosity grade. Use of oils that do not meet the dexos specification, however, may result in reduced performance under certain circumstances.”

As I said before...Dexos is NOT a brand. It is a spec and GM can require a fluid or part to meet a certain spec for warranty. They just cannot require you to buy it from them. But you can get it from Exxon/ Mobil or Shell and others. A few companies refuse to pay for a license. Amsoil has a long history of saying they meet the specs but will not pay for a license or to have the oil tested by GM to make sure it meets the specs. Who will win, who knows but it is not a slam dunk, and does not apear to violate the magnason/moss act. From the M/M act..

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.

You don't fully understand the Act you mentioned....It has absolutely nothing to do with "buying it from them". You can not be forced to purchase a specific branded item or part, to keep your warranty intact, such as dexos. They can not force you to by something branded by them (GM) that helps them make money.

Yes, you can buy dexos branded oils wherever you want BUT GM is getting money no matter what company you buy it from, it's their brand on the container and being pushed to buy a GM branded product is totally against the Act you mention.

YES dexos IS a brand, trademarked and licensed by GM.

All you need to have is the oil you use meet their requirements, that's it, end of story.

People bring up this Act all the time and don't fully understand what it really means.

GM is "not recommending" any oils that won't pay them to have their brand on the container, I wouldn't either if they weren't paying me for my brand on their jug. There is nothing wrong with using Amsoil or Royal Purple, they both meet the specs but will not pay GM a large amount of money to use their brand logo on the container, can't blame them for that.

Notice how they word it so most people will get the impression they must use dexos oil. They never read past the first sentence or listen to the bs from the dealer staff who want a monoply of your business and will say and do everything to that end.

Notice:

Use only engine oil

that is approved to the dexos

specification or an equivalent

engine oil of the appropriate

viscosity grade. Engine oils

approved to the dexos

specification will show the

dexos symbol on the container.

Failure to use the recommended

engine oil or equivalent can

result in engine damage not

covered by the vehicle warranty.

If you are unsure whether the

oil is approved to the dexos

specification, ask your service

provider.

Use of Substitute Engine Oils if

dexos is unavailable: In the event

that dexosapproved engine oil is

not available at an oil change or

for maintaining proper oil level,

you may use substitute engine oil

displaying the API Starburst symbol

and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade.

the dealership i bought my truck at did "free" oil changes to people who bought their car/truck from them. they use Pennzoil and i'll bet my life on it, it wasn't dexos1, which would be Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic. they told me i had to bring it in every 3,000 miles for an oil change! so i did it once and when i got the ticket, it was rung up as a $30 conventional oil change with $0 owed. when i asked why they didn't use synthetic oil that was dexos1 certified like GM recommended, they told me "that cost extra". i changed the oil immediately when i got home to mobil 1 and never went back!

Pennzoil Platnum and Mobil 1 are brands that happen to meet the GM dexos spec...There is no Dexos brand.

We will have to agree to dissagree as I don't have a dog in this race. My 05 doesn't require Dexos. I do think its funny how amsoil (and others) get their undies in a knot because they think they are too good to get a license or have their oil verified by GM to see if it passes their test. What do they have to worry about???

have a good one

Pennzoil Platnum is a brand that happens to meet the GM dexos spec...

We will have to agree to dissagree.

have a good one

was that referred to me? because they didn't use pennzoil platinum. they used standard pennzoil 5w30

the dealership had a big banner that said Pennzoil products only used here, IIRC. they do the free oil changes with conventional oil and tell people to come back every 3,000 miles. when GM clearly requires dexos1 oil only. they weren't doing free oil changes to new cars with pennzoil platinum, if they were i wouldn't have posted anything. this was a chevy dealership.

It's not that they think they are to good, it's the cost to be GM branded that they think is wrong, and it is. What they have to worry about is paying a huge sum of money to GM to display their brand (Dexos) on the Amsoil oil container.

This whole Dexos deal is nothing but a GM money maker and that's it. GM wanted more money and they found a way to get it. Most people are told they have to use Dexos branded oil, so that's what the customer will pay for at a higher cost.

Guys, you DO NOT have to use GM branded Dexos oil to keep your warranty intact. Use whatever oil you choose, as long as it's the proper weight and meets spec. for your application. You already paid GM for your vehicle, don't keep paying them every time you buy motor oil.

Pennzoil Platnum and Mobil 1 are brands that happen to meet the GM dexos spec...There is no Dexos brand.

We will have to agree to dissagree as I don't have a dog in this race. My 05 doesn't require Dexos. I do think its funny how amsoil (and others) get their undies in a knot because they think they are too good to get a license or have their oil verified by GM to see if it passes their test. What do they have to worry about???

have a good one

From what I read a couple of years ago, once you pay GM to test your oil, you then have to pay royalties on every can sold. That is what gets Amsoil and Royal Purples panties in a bunch.

Archived