Plastic Bedliner Screws

Hey all. I have a 2009 Silverado with the factory plastic drop-in bed liner. I've had to remove the tailgate piece twice (locking gate handle and electric lock install). I've noticed a few of the screw holes holding on the tailgate liner have become stripped. I put some silicon in all the screw holes mostly for rust prevention and that seems to keep the screws in.

Today, however, I noticed a random screw laying in the bed and tracked it down to the main bed liner screw on the passenger side by the tail light. I've never taken this out myself but it too is stripped.

Does anyone have any thoughts to help keep the screws in or alternate screws/anchors for the bed liner? I don't want to drill any more or bigger holes. I'm just trying to buy some time until I can afford the spray-in liner.

Thanks for your help.

Note: I'm not trying to start a "spray-in is better than drop-in" topic. I'd much rather get a spray-in but I can't afford it right now.

can you take a picture of the hardware ?need to get a idea what it looks like .

Hey all. I have a 2009 Silverado with the factory plastic drop-in bed liner. I've had to remove the tailgate piece twice (locking gate handle and electric lock install). I've noticed a few of the screw holes holding on the tailgate liner have become stripped. I put some silicon in all the screw holes mostly for rust prevention and that seems to keep the screws in.

Today, however, I noticed a random screw laying in the bed and tracked it down to the main bed liner screw on the passenger side by the tail light. I've never taken this out myself but it too is stripped.

Does anyone have any thoughts to help keep the screws in or alternate screws/anchors for the bed liner? I don't want to drill any more or bigger holes. I'm just trying to buy some time until I can afford the spray-in liner.

Thanks for your help.

Note: I'm not trying to start a "spray-in is better than drop-in" topic. I'd much rather get a spray-in but I can't afford it right now.

It's just simple self-tapping torx screws. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow, but in the mean time here's a photo that I found on 3n88fan's POST that I added arrows to plus one I found with Google.

Thanks.

003-1.jpg

0407st_07_z%20sr_skid_resistor_bedliner%20self_tapping_screws.jpg

i never liked those self drilling screw's ,i used to install bedliner's for many year's and never found a fool proof method to install with out using them for the average customer that did not care about drilling hole's in their new truck .but the best one i came up with was used for a while buy body guard bedliner's ,they used a rubber strip that had a channel on one side that you sliped the edge of the liner gate into it and it had 3m double sided tape that stuck to the painted steel ,here is a couple pictures on my truck i refused to drill holes in my newtruck (2001)

It's just simple self-tapping torx screws. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow, but in the mean time here's a photo that I found on 3n88fan's POST that I added arrows to plus one I found with Google.

Thanks.

003-1.jpg

0407st_07_z%20sr_skid_resistor_bedliner%20self_tapping_screws.jpg

post-58671-1303476935_thumb.jpg

post-58671-1303476956_thumb.jpg

post-58671-1303476966_thumb.jpg

post-58671-1303476995_thumb.jpg

Thanks. I like that rubber channel idea. Unfortunately the truck already had it when I picked up and I wanted some kind of liner anyway so I kept it. I hated the idea of drilling holes too but the damage was already done. I just didn't think they would pop out like this.

yeah they usually come out when they strip the holes when they are installed .would hate to drill them bigger but some liner's use a push in type of retainer

Thanks. I like that rubber channel idea. Unfortunately the truck already had it when I picked up and I wanted some kind of liner anyway so I kept it. I hated the idea of drilling holes too but the damage was already done. I just didn't think they would pop out like this.

i have used plastic push rivets on some bedliners

yeah they usually come out when they strip the holes when they are installed .would hate to drill them bigger but some liner's use a push in type of retainer

View Cart (0) | Checkout

tr280new.jpg

This is funny.... I have the EXACT same dilemma....waiting til can afford a spray liner! Stupid screw fell out of liner just behind taillight, and when back slider window open, the piece of bedliner flaps slightly causing this TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK noise. Ugh.

Archived